Help us help the park: Merlin - Their Response:

Attraction Source and TowersTimes website news, comments and suggestions.
AstroDan

TowersTimes Forum are delighted to have received the following letter from the head of Merlin Entertainments, Nick Varney following the letter and petition/comments sent in May regarding the current state of play at Alton Towers and, in particular, the Fanta branding on Oblivion and lack of attraction development for the 2011 season.

Please enjoy reading:
Dear TowersTimes Forum,

Thank you for the letter and accompanying comments sent to me recently.

In responding, I would like to take the opportunity to "set the record straight" in a number
of important areas. I do this in the spirit of recognising that the vast majority of you are
passionate about Alton Towers, and that for obvious reasons you can’t always know the
reasons why certain decisions are made.

Firstly and by the way of introduction, I would like to tell you a little about my own
association with the Towers. I joined Alton Towers in September 1990 as Marketing
Director following its acquisition by the Tussauds Group - It was love at first site. During
the next four years, I was privileged to work as part of a team that amongst other things,
launched the Haunted House (now Duel), the Runaway Mine Train and most notably
Nemesis in 1994. It was also during this period that we developed the advertising
campaign that still runs to this day and pushed through the approval for the Alton Towers
Hotel. In 1995, I left the Tussauds Group to become Managing Director of the company
that is now Merlin Entertainments. This company grew significantly and happily I was re-
connected with Alton Towers in 2007 when Merlin acquired the Tussauds Group.

This personal and business association with Alton Towers gives me a privileged and
perhaps unique knowledge of this very special attraction, and l think it would be useful to
share some top line observations that may help to explain certain decisions over the
years.

There are three significant business dynamics at work with Alton Towers-

1. The park is of such a scale that it needs to attract two markets, families and
teenagers/young adults in equal measure to be commercially successful. It
cannot depend on one alone as for example LEGOLAND does with families
with young children.

2. For similar reasons, the park needs to have a national reach, not just the
Midlands. However, to overcome travel time barriers from more distant
locations, a short break or resort message is essential (hence the hotels).

3. We are located in an area with severe planning restrictions which makes
adding new rides a long and expensive process. It also makes rides with any
kind of height impossible.

With these points in mind, the following is a top line history of Alton Towers from a business perspective;

- Early/mid 1980’s : Massive success as the Corkscrew and other rides enable
Alton Towers to "invent" the theme park market in the UK

- Late 1980’s to 1990/91 : difficult times as the then owner diverts profits to try
and start a new park at Battersea Power Station. Short term, second hand
thrill rides such as the Beast and Thunderlooper are introduced with
consequent, dramatic loss of families. In financial trouble Alton Towers is sold
to the Tussauds Group

- Early/mid 1990’s : success again as the 1992 relaunch brings back families
and Nemesis in 1994 takes the UK by storm. This is followed up by the
introduction of the Alton Towers Hotel and Oblivion

- Late 1990’s to 2006 : stagnating visitor attendance is not rescued by the odd
ride launch. Cost cutting removes shows and contributes to significant falls in
customer satisfaction. Family groups fall off again and the park loses its
national market

- 2007 : acquired by Merlin Entertainments together with other Tussauds
Group attractions

- 2008 to present : the resort is successfully relaunched to families via Mutiny
Bay and national marketing is re-introduced. Thi3teen (aimed at both family
and teen markets) is the most successful ride launch since Nemesis. On park
entertainment is re-introduced and focus on customer satisfaction drives this
to the highest levels ever. Programme of longer term investment in place

I am sorry that for reasons of confidentiality, l can’t give you the visitor numbers that
reflect the above, but a roller coaster would not be an unfair comparison! However, the
bottom line is that today Alton Towers is successful again not only in commercial terms
but most importantly of all, in customer satisfaction and national brand pre-eminence.

So with regard to two of your most heated comments;

1. Why is there nothing new this year?

If you observe Merlin, you will see that generally we put in a substantial new ride into our
theme parks every three or four years with intermediate investments in between. This
was the plan at Alton Towers for 2011 with a new family themed area to follow on from
Thi3teen. Unfortunately in December last year, the company we were working with pulled out at the last minute, leaving us with no time to organise a Plan B. What I can say is that rather than save the money we were going to spend this year, we now intend something a bit more special for next year (which I hope you will like!). This will be followed in 2013
by a major new ride which will be awesome in every sense of the word.

2. How could you put Fanta branding on Oblivion?

Following your comments, I recently walked through the entire Oblivion queue and ride
station area. There is no doubt that unlike the original Coke branding, this is not themed
as sensitively to the ride concept as it could have been. I cannot make any promises at
this stage as we have a contract with Coca Cola, but we are making efforts to see what
we can do to improve the situation. We take the integrity theming and "story”’ for our
rides and attractions very seriously, so please regard this as a one off which is not a
symptom of more to come.

I hope you can see from the length of this reply not only that we value your passion for
Alton Towers, but also that we share it. It holds a special place in my heart as it does for
Mark Fisher, (Managing Director of our Resort Theme Parks) who started working at
Alton Towers in 1985, as a costume character. The current resort management team
have an equally strong love of Alton Towers and I know of no—one in our industry more
committed to customer satisfaction than lan Crabbe.

So even though you won’t always agree with what we do, please at least give the benefit
of the doubt that we are doing it with the best motivations.
Thank you again for your comments and please be assured we listen to all views that
are constructively put to us.

Yours sincerely,
Nick Varney
Dormiens-Dave

Interesting reply, Glad to see that he agree's the Fanta branding isn't as sensitive to the theme as it should be and hopefully he can help fix this.

I'm really hopeful for the future, at least i really want to be.
oldgitBEN

I respect that he took the time to reply, and look at oblivions horrific sponsorship.

Alas I do feel slightly fobbed off, although abit reassured they already have firm plans for the next two seasons.
Tom G

Quite pleasant towards the end and also quite comforting if he thinks the branding style is inappropriate and damaging.
fredward

What a fantastic reply really, next year sounds very very intriguing and more confirmation for SW7 in 2013.
Pennywise

Fantastic response, in my opinion. Addressing the points put forward by TTFers and "showing" that the management really do care about the park.

Now, I just hope that we see an improvement in terms of the actual park. Mr. Varney can clearly talk up the park's plans for the future, hopefully the park will show the significant improvements that this plan promises. I've not been one of the people moaning about every decision that the park has made this year, but it has taken a step back, and I want to see it moving forward again.

:)
Islander

[quote=""AstroDan""][...] = a small line was missing on the print of the letter we received.[/quote]
Just to clarify, Astro, as this line is confusing me - do you mean that a line was redacted from the letter (and if so, by Varney/Merlin/TTF?), or that is was a misprint, or what?

Sorry, it's probably me being thick, but just wondering...
Adam

Yeah, any chance we could see a photo of that part of the letter?
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."
Thorpefandan

That is a great response. I'm really glad he's had a look at the fanta sponsorship, and will hopefully make sure nothing like it happens again. As long as this is not all talk and no substance I'm very happy for Merlin to be in charge of Alton Towers.
It\'s Big Bob, it\'s Big Bob, it\'s Big Bobs radio show.

Russell

I think it's a very good reply to be honest. He managed to, at least to me, put across that they do care about the park and that they are interested in continued investment and that this years plans fell through at the last minute (as we already knew).

As he said, hopefully something can be done about Oblivion but its all down to what the contract they have in place with Coca-Cola says really.

I have faith so hopefully they will do something to keep it over the next two years! :)
Since April 2008
.Will

Happy is the feeling I get from this. It is wonderful to see that they do recognise the enthusiast community and a letter from the head and not some excuse letter from somebody else is also nice.

Plans for 2013 are also very very exciting. I am really looking forward to what the future has to hold.

I am impressed with Merlin.

djtruefitt

[quote=""Islander""][quote=""AstroDan""][...] = a small line was missing on the print of the letter we received.[/quote]
Just to clarify, Astro, as this line is confusing me - do you mean that a line was redacted from the letter (and if so, by Varney/Merlin/TTF?), or that is was a misprint, or what?

Sorry, it's probably me being thick, but just wondering...[/quote]
It seems that it mis-printed or what ever happened just as we might have got a bit of juicy gossip!

It was very good of Merlin, and indeed the top of Merlin to reply to this, and it was also interesting to hear about his History and the head of Merlin theme parks history with Alton, so they both must care about the park and this does come across in the letter.

In terms of Oblivion im not sure much will happen as im sure if Coke are paying alot of money they wont just want to remove all Fanta adverts straight away, but maybe they will change them next year (depending on how long the contract is).

Also great to hear that there will be something new next year and something very wicked in 2013!
Last edited by djtruefitt on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob L

What a fantastic response, I am very happy with that indeed! It is a shame about the missing line though as that seems to be one of the most interesting bits of the letter; though in essence I think it was meant to say something along the lines of the company they were working with for 2011 (ie Dreamworks) pulled out or whatever and they are planning something more special next year because of this.

So yep, thanks to Nick Varney for that reply, for me it does show that they care!

AstroDan

[quote=""Islander""][quote=""AstroDan""][...] = a small line was missing on the print of the letter we received.[/quote]

There was just some missing print in the letter.

Adam

I get the impression it was missing for a reason. I assume he did it as a little joke?

Edit: Oh, fair enough. Shame.
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."
AstroDan

As for my views;

I am delighed that Nick Varney has taken the time to write personally to us. This demonstrates a level of care.

Equally, we have learnt that the Fanta sponsorship has not gone down well with him, and presumably others.

We also learn of 'special' investment for 2012 and 'awesome' for 2013.

No mention of the likes of the increase in upselling - but all in all, a good letter.

Now we need to see it in action.

Islander

[quote=""AstroDan""][quote=""Islander""][quote=""AstroDan""][...] = a small line was missing on the print of the letter we received.[/quote]

There was just some missing print in the letter.

:)[/quote]
I kinda would've expected a letter which, essentially, is being sent to a couple of hundred of people, to have been checked properly after having been printed. Rather unprofessional tbh...

...which is at a fantastic contrast to the rest of the letter which, IMO, is excellent. It's a shame it didn't address a few more of our concerns, but it certainly seemed to hit the top two quite well.

The recent article I posted about Varney knocked my confidence in him somewhat, but this letter oozes passion, and that's precisely what's needed. My love for Merlin has been waning recently, but this has certainly given it a well-needed boost. Cheers TTF!
altongeek

Thank you for taking the time to write this response.

Its nice to know that we aren't the only ones who see a problem with Oblivion's partner. And, although they may be able to do little about it now, it means they care just as much as we do. :D

I think the next few years promise to be a very exciting time. I very much look forward for what they have prepared!

Thank you again Mr. Varney :clap:
DiogoJ42

It's great to see that he is anti-Fanta, but the rest of it just seems... I dunno, most of the letter is just recapping past glory, and not actually answering any of our points. Seems like another Watchdog style fob off to me. :(
Khalichanan

Does this mean I can join in with discussions about Merlin again because they won't be negative? :P