Going Alone?

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
AT TeeJay

Hey everyone, I was thinking about visiting the park on my own for the 1st time on Thursday as school is closed and I haven't been since April and want to get my money's worth from my pass. I went a few times at the beginning of the season with my pass holder mate but then he couldn't renew and hasn't been able to since April and I have been asking him to get it renewed and he keeps on saying he can't so on Thursday I was thinking about getting the train down and the bus and then going it alone but I'm worried. Is it weird to do this, I love rollercoasters and I thought I would get a lot more done and my freind is a little on the overweight side and having to stop for a rest every 10 steps is annoying. Shall I go or not? Is it Ok to go to Alton on your own? PLEASE HELP!
---- You\'d Better Not Go Alone ---
Dean

Yes your fine to visit AT on your own, as long as you enjoy your own company you'll be fine.
Blaze

I wouldn't do it, but if you won't feel strange and lonely, go for it.
starbugger1303

But rememember... Don't Go Alone!
ATJakee96

Hey im like you, i were abit scared of catching a train from wolverhampton to stoke then a bus all on my own. But i were fine i just put my thoughts ahead and thought where i would be going to and the coasters.
I would of came around with you but unfortunately im at school.
I still get the train which is 30mins which isnt too bad, but im sure you will be fine. :D
Don't_Look_Down

[quote=""Blaze""]I wouldn't do it, but if you won't feel strange and lonely, go for it.[/quote]

Er, why? Going alone is great. You can do your own thing and go on what you want, when you want.

Lots of people go by themselves - you'll be fine.
Oblivion beckons in T-minus five minutes, be prepared for embarkation!

Eat, sleep, Apocalypse!
.Will

Go and enjoy yourself! There is nothing better than getting away from everything and having some "me" time. Go sit in the gardens enjoy the sites. Whore out the SRQs and forget your problems.

... Saying that you can get lost in your thoughts and it might drive you a bit mad!

Muah ha ha!

Jokes. Obviously

:crazy:
Blaze

[quote=""Don't_Look_Down""][quote=""Blaze""]I wouldn't do it, but if you won't feel strange and lonely, go for it.[/quote]

Er, why? Going alone is great. You can do your own thing and go on what you want, when you want.

Lots of people go by themselves - you'll be fine.[/quote]
Not to put anyone off, but I know I would. Theme parks are a social place, that's what they were made for and that's what they are all about. Having fun with friends. I'd feel so strange standing there in a queue on my own in silence with no one to talk to, surrounded by people talking and laughing and having fun, and I'd never shake the feeling people were looking at me and thinking I was some strange loner with no friends who spends all his time on the internet. Plus I'd have no one there to tell me that spending an hour waiting for Duel is a stupid idea and that no, a fifth ride on Thirteen really isn't neccassary.
AT TeeJay

Thanks guys, I probably will go on my own and ATJakee it's mot0203 from youtube by the way I comment on some of your vids now and again and if my freind doesn't renew soon it would be awesome to go round with you in a week or two
.Will

[quote=""Blaze""]Not to put anyone off, but I know I would. Theme parks are a social place, that's what they were made for and that's what they are all about. Having fun with friends. I'd feel so strange standing there in a queue on my own in silence with no one to talk to, surrounded by people talking and laughing and having fun, and I'd never shake the feeling people were looking at me and thinking I was some strange loner with no friends who spends all his time on the internet. Plus I'd have no one there to tell me that spending an hour waiting for Duel is a stupid idea and that no, a fifth ride on Thirteen really isn't neccassary.[/quote]

Go have you never heard of an iPod? Honestly Blaze I go to AT on my own quite often and it is nice form of escapism. Some people build models, restore cars you need some time on your own it is important and the best thing is there is never an argument on what ride to do next. So stop being so social and cool!

... Wait?

:?
Don't_Look_Down

[quote=""Blaze""][quote=""Don't_Look_Down""][quote=""Blaze""]I wouldn't do it, but if you won't feel strange and lonely, go for it.[/quote]

Not to put anyone off, but I know I would. Theme parks are a social place, that's what they were made for and that's what they are all about. Having fun with friends. I'd feel so strange standing there in a queue on my own in silence with no one to talk to, surrounded by people talking and laughing and having fun, and I'd never shake the feeling people were looking at me and thinking I was some strange loner with no friends who spends all his time on the internet. Plus I'd have no one there to tell me that spending an hour waiting for Duel is a stupid idea and that no, a fifth ride on Thirteen really isn't neccassary.[/quote]

Well, Blaze, it's really not like that. I have no choice but to go alone (unless I attend meets), as my friends hate theme parks and rides :| It really is quite fun going by yourself, and I've met lots of other similar people at theme parks :)

Eat, sleep, Apocalypse!
starbugger1303

I've done it for a couple of hours and its brill! No arguments on what attraction to go to next, no bickering for where to eat! Absolute tranqulity! :)

I'd say go on your own, if you dont like it, dont do it again! :D
Blaze

Even on the rides would feel strange. You can't laugh and scream and have fun on your own. A lot of the enjoyment for me comes from being with friends and having a laugh, which makes you feel more relaxed and better in general, and releases chemicals into your brain that heighten the experience and make you more outgoing. Whenever I've had to ride a ride on my own because no one else wanted to go on, I sit there with my hand on my lap with a flat expression, not moving and not showing any emotion. When I'm on a ride with friends, we laugh and joke, and do all that macho shouting and stuff that you do, and I scream and laugh and goo woo a lot, then at the end we run and laugh at each others faces on the photo and all that.

Going alone would just be dull and flat. Sure, you could have the perfect ridelist and maybe even do more, but if you don't have anyone there to share this great experience, is it really worth it?

And is it not selfish to go to somewhere like Alton and not invite a friend?
AT TeeJay

[quote="".Will""][quote=""Blaze""]Not to put anyone off, but I know I would. Theme parks are a social place, that's what they were made for and that's what they are all about. Having fun with friends. I'd feel so strange standing there in a queue on my own in silence with no one to talk to, surrounded by people talking and laughing and having fun, and I'd never shake the feeling people were looking at me and thinking I was some strange loner with no friends who spends all his time on the internet. Plus I'd have no one there to tell me that spending an hour waiting for Duel is a stupid idea and that no, a fifth ride on Thirteen really isn't neccassary.[/quote]

Go have you never heard of an iPod? Honestly Blaze I go to AT on my own quite often and it is nice form of escapism. Some people build models, restore cars you need some time on your own it is important and the best thing is there is never an argument on what ride to do next. So stop being so social and cool!

... Wait?

:?[/quote]

LOL Im ALWAYSSSS in a argument about which ride next. Just the thought of being to ride Oblivion all day without anyone to argue with excites me :D
Don't_Look_Down

[quote=""Blaze""]Going alone would just be dull and flat. Sure, you could have the perfect ridelist and maybe even do more, but if you don't have anyone there to share this great experience, is it really worth it?
[/quote]

Yup! Following an itinerary and going on things you don't even like, is a huge waste of time. You could be having a good ole session on Nemmy in that time :P

Eat, sleep, Apocalypse!
.Will

Scarfest last year 10 rides on Nemesis on the SRQ. Epic win and no one saying "I'm board, lets go and ..."

:wink:
AdrenalineAlex

[quote=""Blaze""][quote=""Don't_Look_Down""][quote=""Blaze""]I wouldn't do it, but if you won't feel strange and lonely, go for it.[/quote]

Not to put anyone off, but I know I would. Theme parks are a social place, that's what they were made for and that's what they are all about. Having fun with friends. I'd feel so strange standing there in a queue on my own in silence with no one to talk to, surrounded by people talking and laughing and having fun, and I'd never shake the feeling people were looking at me and thinking I was some strange loner with no friends who spends all his time on the internet. Plus I'd have no one there to tell me that spending an hour waiting for Duel is a stupid idea and that no, a fifth ride on Thirteen really isn't neccassary.[/quote]
I do agree with you. I found queue times seemed so much longer even with my iPod in and I felt so self conscious waiting in the queues thinking people are looking at me. I have the same dilemma as the original poster, I have to go in groups of odd numbers which rarely happens because I'm the only one with an annual pass and this just makes it frustrating for everyone else. I've only been one this year after renewing it in April and really want to go to Thorpe or something again but after going with my parents and they left me to it I didn't really enjoy myself. Just depends what type of person you are!
Blaze

[quote=""Don't_Look_Down""][quote=""Blaze""]Going alone would just be dull and flat. Sure, you could have the perfect ridelist and maybe even do more, but if you don't have anyone there to share this great experience, is it really worth it?
[/quote]

Yup! Following an itinerary and going on things you don't even like, is a huge waste of time. You could be having a good ole session on Nemmy in that time :P[/quote]
Who goes with an itinerary. The closest I get to that is on the way there discussing what we'll do, but as the old addage says, no plan survives contact with the enemy and we never do what we planned, if we ever even agree on a running order on the journey. In the end you pretty much take it as it comes, and just do whatever you can agree on (or not) in that moment. OK, it means I haven't been on Hex in a while, but I'd have never ridden Nemesis' back row three times in a row either.
Don't_Look_Down

@AdrenalineAlex - Not one person has ever batted an eyelid at me queueing or walking round alone. Most people are having too much fun to even notice.

@Blaze - You really can't beat the freedom of going by yourself. AT is an expensive day out as it is, so you might as well get your money's worth.

Eat, sleep, Apocalypse!
Luce

I've been to AT loads of times on my own and have always enjoyed myself. I also like visiting parks with people too but it makes a change to go on your own :)