Thirteen CLOSED

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Nightfall

[quote=""oldgitBEN""]but lets not forget opening day there were reliable members saying the drop sequence changed through from morning to afternoon which wardley didnt seem to like.[/quote] I really doubt these sources. If the ride was designed to run on multiple sequences they wouldn't have run them on the first day only. I rode Thirteen 7 times on the second day and all drops where exactly the same.

Although I agree Wardley is not revealing his true thoughts on some off the parks decisions (and quite right too as a respected company member) I suspected he's right about the sequencing. The track has been mechanically designed for a false drop and a full drop. While it would be possible to modify the drop it won't be as simple as altering the programming. The current drop simply isn't designed to run different programs.

Edit: like Dormiens-Dave said above :)
[align=center]Image[/align]
Islander

[quote=""Dormiens-Dave""]So the only option would be a big drop then return to the top again and drop again but that would really slow down the throughput as the return to the top although rapid is not that quick.[/quote]
Not only that, but do we know whether the hydraulics can actually cope with lifting a fully-loaded train?

It's one thing to lift an empty train (and, as Dave has pointed out, it takes a good few seconds), but it's another entirely to lift a train and 20 people...
AstroDan

Th13teen has continuing problems. It is unknown whether it will be available in the coming days.
DiogoJ42

I can confirm that in the first few hours of it's opening day, the drop was split roughly into 50/50. But by the end of the day it was on it's standard program.
Dormiens-Dave

[quote=""DiogoJ42""]I can confirm that in the first few hours of it's opening day, the drop was split roughly into 50/50. But by the end of the day it was on it's standard program.[/quote]

When?

I rode it at least 5 times on opening day spread throughout the day and it never had a 50/50 split on the drop. That included been on the ride within the first 15min of the day and almost last ride of the day
DiogoJ42

Well, it felt 50/50. It certainly wasn't what we know now. Maybe it was more like 40/60 (normal drop being roughly 20/80), but you know what I mean. :P
Dormiens-Dave

If the track dropped 40 percent then you would have dropped nearly 2 metres which would mean you would have been below floor level of the upper zone... Meaning you wouldnt have seen the lighting effects or felt the air cannons.. Which we did
Islander

[quote=""DiogoJ42""]Well, it felt 50/50. It certainly wasn't what we know now. Maybe it was more like 40/60 (normal drop being roughly 20/80), but you know what I mean. :P[/quote]
Normal drop's definitely not 20/80, it's more like 5/95...
starbugger1303

Th13teen was closed most of the day today.

I was in Nemesis station and an announcement came over and said "Th13teen has now reopened" so we walked through the gardens (the heat was unbearable!) and as soon we got over there it was shut! So we decided to go on Rita. But nooooo... That was closed as well! So both intamin's in the area was closed! What a suprise!
Balb0wa

[quote=""starbugger1303""]Th13teen was closed most of the day today.

I was in Nemesis station and an announcement came over and said "Th13teen has now reopened" so we walked through the gardens (the heat was unbearable!) and as soon we got over there it was shut! So we decided to go on Rita. But nooooo... That was closed as well! So both intamin's in the area was closed! What a suprise![/quote]

both closed, oh dear, so basically an area full of food outlets ,lol

im going tomorrow :-(
rosiegsm

I'm hoping to go on Monday, what do you think the chance is of Thirteen being open?

And, to the people that have been this week, how busy has it been, bearing in mind it is school holiday?

And would it be better to go on the monday (even though its still an Inset day for some schools) or to go later in the same week?
Eagie

That is not completely accurate LCWatAlton as I was on 13 around 4pm. It was up and down most of the day, and on a couple of occasions they were closing the queue line but kept those already in it in.

My daughter was on one of the time it broke.

The trim brakes were working more than usual and were more evident to her (she is 12 and doesn't really normally notice them). The 1st drop was as normal, the second didn't work properly (it seemed to slow a lot) and then the reverse launch didn't happen (it jerked them back and then stopped).

They were held in the lower crypt for around 30 mins before being sorted. When they did get reverse launched it was slower than standard.

They were then held for about 5 mins at the switch track section - maybe this is where the problem is? My wife had seen a lot of activity in that area earlier on in the day.
Joe Koopa

I scored a ride on Th13teen yesterday. We had exit passes after complaining about the ride being closed on two of our visits (we visited on Tuesday, and it was closed all of Friday morning). The ride broke down once in the queueline, and once with us on the train, just after the backwards helix. We were only stuck for roughly five minutes, and the ride was working again. Upon leaving the Dark Forest, we heard yet another announcement saying the ride was experiencing technical diffriculties. We left the park soon after that, I'm not sure if it re-opened, I'm just glad I managed a ride on it.

:)
djtruefitt

I popped down to Alton for a few hours yesterday evening and at about 5pm TH13TEEN and Rita were both closed. People were queuing for THI13TEEN at the enterance so it couldnt have been a major problem otherwise they would turn people away.

Instead I did Hex and Oblivion and then headed to Dark forest at about 5.30pm, there were people in the queue for Rita (so it must have opened) but it was broke again and after a while they cleared the queue. TH13TEEN was open and didnt have much of a queue. I had one go on it and then went straight out of the exit and back on again as it was pretty much 6pm (closing time) so I knew I wouldnt get a ride on anything else. However when I was at the top of the stairs in the station the ride broke down. Im not sure what the problem was but from what I could gather one train was stuck in the station, one was up the lift hill and im not sure if the other was in the drop or outside.

After about 20 minutes the ride re-opened. A few things I noticed on my two rides, is that the outside section seemed slightly quicker than it normaly does (I rode it near the front and back). And in the drop room the ride seems to break really suddenly as it enters, then it moves forward a bit more and stops before it drops. Something I only noticed yesterday, on my past rides it just seems to break more smoothly and not so suddenly. It felt more like a sudden break you get on a ride like Nemesis.
seanyboyuk

For such a new ride i think thirteen has done well in terms of breakdowns, you only have to compare it to something like air. I am all for it to have one single drop rather than the mini drop then the big drop i think it would make it that bit more intense and of course make throughput even faster a little bit!
JAMMYD777

I have a feeling that the resort are waiting until this next week coming to completely investigate the problem as to please the half term visitors as much as possible, even though the majority have not seemed to be able to ride lately. I hope they are able to resolve the problem to the best of their abilities over the coming weeks, especially with the Alton Towers Live concert approaching and the school trip season.
SW7:
ThemeParkMedia

Today i went to the resort and queued up for thi3teen,started queuing at 9:55am then to top it off there where members of staff telling everyone that it wont be open till later so then we walk off to the skyride and fly over the dark forest and oh look Thi3teen has opened omg they took the mick.
Islander

[quote=""ThemeParkMedia""]Today i went to the resort and queued up for thi3teen,started queuing at 9:55am then to top it off...[/quote]
...to top what off? Queueing?

[quote=""ThemeParkMedia""]...there where members of staff telling everyone that it wont be open till later so then we walk off to the skyride and fly over the dark forest and oh look Thi3teen has opened omg they took the mick.[/quote]
OK, so they took the mick.

Or, just maybe, they were just trying damn hard to open it as soon as possible, but didn't know when they'd resolve the latest issue, so rather than letting guests queue for what could hours and could amount to nothing, they quite rightfully sent them away. Then, unexpectedly, their hard work paid off, and they actually got it operating again much quicker than they had expected.

Cut them some slack, for pity's sake...
Tom G

I'm sorry, but over a year on this Thorpe Park reliability is unacceptable for any ride at Alton Towers.
Don't_Look_Down

[quote=""Islander""]Or, just maybe, they were just trying damn hard to open it as soon as possible, but didn't know when they'd resolve the latest issue, so rather than letting guests queue for what could hours and could amount to nothing, they quite rightfully sent them away. Then, unexpectedly, their hard work paid off, and they actually got it operating again much quicker than they had expected.

Cut them some slack, for pity's sake...[/quote]

People will be angry, naturally, but then it serves AT right. If you install a prototype, then you should expect many problems. Not a good move for the top UK theme park IMO.
Oblivion beckons in T-minus five minutes, be prepared for embarkation!

Eat, sleep, Apocalypse!