Thirteen CLOSED

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Rob L

[quote=""Islander""][quote=""AstroDan""]Great news. TT News Article shall be edited![/quote]
Has TT got another source to confirm this? Definitely nothing against Longy, who I'm sure is accurately reporting what he was told, but my question is how reliable his source was. If simply a ride host, then probably not very. It's simply that other news sources are now picking up on this and sourcing TowersTimes

[quote=""The Season Pass Podcast on Twitter""]Th13teen has been fixed - and will resume operation from tomorrow (according to The Towers Times) - Nick[/quote][/quote]
It says on Towers website that Thirteen will re-open tomorrow.

:)

AstroDan

Indeed. We don't just change news articles willy-nilly...

:P
Islander

Well, I s'ppose that's a decent enough source :P
Johno

Has to laugh when my mum came back from Alton Towers yesterday after a trip with my little bro and friends.

'Thirteen was closed all day, and it looked pretty serious, 'scaffolding all over the place''... :D
jordanc14

Thirteen was testing at the end of today and all that could be seen was an Alton towers van and a man walking into the bottom of the drop section.
Mi-Nigle

Thi3teen is testing as I type, and guests are being let into the queue :D

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
Mi-Nigle

And its open!

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
atarobert97

Does anyone have pictures of the crane that lifted the roof off ?
atarobert97

Does anyone have pictures of the crane that lifted the roof off ?
Brandon96x

I was there yesterday and there was NO crane at all near the crypt! Some people make up aload of rubbish for attention!
themealgang

I was there yesterday and Thirteen was closed all day. The roof was still on top, and there was not a crane in sight. Glad to hear that it is back open today though. A freefall drop on a roller coaster does not hurt anyone does it?! :D

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
atarobert97

[quote=""themealgang""]I was there yesterday and Thirteen was closed all day. The roof was still on top, and there was not a crane in sight. Glad to hear that it is back open today though. A freefall drop on a roller coaster does not hurt anyone does it?! :D[/quote]

Any pictures would be nice to see a picture with the top open.
nickhutson

and it's closed again...
Nick Hutson
Presenter - The Season Pass Podcast and Nick\'s Season Pass ERT
http://www.theseasonpasspodcast.com
Producer and Co-Presenter - MusicalTalk - The UK\'s Musical Theatre Podcast
http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk
AstroDan

Hopefully just a short one...!

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
Dan

I've been on park today and Th13teen was running until about 11.30 when it broke down while I was queueing for it. When I left at 4.30 it still wasn't running and it had been taken off the queue-time boards around the park.
longy0151

Must've been pretty bad problems with TH13TEEN today as it was closed for most of the day. Staff were stood at the entrance telling people that it wasn't open. The roof wasn't taken off the crypt but no trains were testing through out the day. Also, the skyride kept breaking down. :x
AltonOllie

Is it technical problems though or are they modifying it in some way?
I haven't seen it yet but hopefully I'll get to meet her on Monday.
siralgenon

[quote=""AltonOllie""]Is it technical problems though or are they modifying it in some way?
I haven't seen it yet but hopefully I'll get to meet her on Monday.[/quote]

They wouldn't modify it in the school holidays and I went on it this morning and it's exactly the same as it's always been!
oldgitBEN

oooh no they wont modify it so soon! This seems to be just general prototype issues.

As for modified drop sequences, it'll happen, give it maybe another year or two, then on a quiet non investment year they can have varied drops - just to give it more attention again.
I know wardley said this wont happen, but lets not forget opening day there were reliable members saying the drop sequence changed through from morning to afternoon which wardley didnt seem to like. Then again wardley also went back on his whole career and said 'back stories dont matter on rides' - so i dont believe much of what he says anymore, cos merlin bung him a few quid.
Dormiens-Dave

The only thing that changed with the drop sequence on opening is later in the day the small drop was smaller, whether that was deliberate or just the ride breaking in i have no idea, they did fiddle with the air cannons though.

The system is very limited with what they can do with it.

The small drop is achieved by opening the hydrolic valve and closing it again quickly, to stop the ride say mid way you wouldnt have reached the magnetic breaks and the pressure on the valve to stop the ride at high velocity would just bugger it up.

So the only option would be a big drop then return to the top again and drop again but that would really slow down the throughput as the return to the top although rapid is not that quick.

The magnetic breaks looked to be fixed as well (like a normal drop towers magnetic breaks) so you are limited in that if you returned the platform say halfway up then dropped, the fixed mag breaks would slow the platform down at a greater rate (because it would have less velocity than if it had fallen from the top) so the drop would be a bit boring.

So i really doubt the drop sequence will ever change without serious remodeling of the drop tower.