2012: Nemesis - What Lies Beneath - Part 1

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
Johno

If you can sell it for more than you scrap it, you'd sell it!

I quite like the fact that Blade isn't a pirate ship, but I think people think that it is? I'd like it moved to near the flume, with water effects etc.?
CoasterCrazyChris

Am I the only one who thinks people should stop picking on Blade? :roll:

Leave [s:1k2l5qyr]her[/s:1k2l5qyr] it alone! :P
.Will

[quote=""Johno""]If you can sell it for more than you scrap it, you'd sell it!

I quite like the fact that Blade isn't a pirate ship, but I think people think that it is? I'd like it moved to near the flume, with water effects etc.?[/quote]

Yes but no one would buy it becuase of it's age. No one is going to fork out for a ride that has got a few years left in it tops that is just stupid. So if no one will buy it they will get more for it by scrapping it won't they?

:roll:

[quote=""CoasterCrazyChris""]Am I the only one who thinks people should stop picking on Blade? :roll:

Leave [s:3rj9nqpg]her[/s:3rj9nqpg] it alone! :P[/quote]

Bottom line is it is that it is 30 years old. How long has a ride like that got left in it?

:wink:
AstroDan

The ride was condemned years ago yet clings on...

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
CoasterCrazyChris

[quote="".Will""][quote=""CoasterCrazyChris""]Am I the only one who thinks people should stop picking on Blade? :roll:

Leave [s:2p9ocezf]her[/s:2p9ocezf] it alone! :P[/quote]

Bottom line is it is that it is 30 years old. How long has a ride like that got left in it?

:wink:[/quote]

I think it's more the fact people moan it isn't themed to pirates like they believe it 'should be'. So what, the park went for something unique and it worked - the way it's sat in that pit gives it the look of a giant excavator which suits the area perfectly.

Although you do have a point in terms of its age, it is pretty old and its not the best model, in the short term is should be classified as a family ride until its ineveitable demise as it really isn't a proper thrill anymore if i'm honest.

If there was room i'd love to see a new swinging ship in Katanga Canyon, just look at what they've done at PortAventura in the Polynesia area, something like that would be great and they could build it on the lake. Dunno how it would fit in with the whole mining village concept though.

:)
AstroDan

I think it is more irksome that Blade resides in a trench which was specially conceived for the legendary Thunder Looper rollercoaster! Blade takes up valuable space!

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
.Will

[quote=""CoasterCrazyChris""][quote="".Will""][quote=""CoasterCrazyChris""]Am I the only one who thinks people should stop picking on Blade? :roll:

Leave [s:28tplep7]her[/s:28tplep7] it alone! :P[/quote]

:wink:[/quote]

I think it's more the fact people moan it isn't themed to pirates like they believe it 'should be'. So what, the park went for something unique and it worked - the way it's sat in that pit gives it the look of a giant excavator which suits the area perfectly.

Although you do have a point in terms of its age, it is pretty old and its not the best model, in the short term is should be classified as a family ride until its ineveitable demise as it really isn't a proper thrill anymore if i'm honest.

If there was room i'd love to see a new swinging ship in Katanga Canyon, just look at what they've done at PortAventura in the Polynesia area, something like that would be great and they could build it on the lake. Dunno how it would fit in with the whole mining village concept though.

:)[/quote]

I don't think too many people moan, I believe that a lot of people don't see it as a ship becuase with the Blades and the way it is themed it doesn't look like a ship. It fits in the pit really well and is a great part of FV. Don't get me wrong I do like the ride but it is outdated.

I agree entirely it isn't a thrill ride at all.

CoasterCrazyChris

If they bought a new model and put it on the lake it could have a loose storyline around a ship that transports the goods mined from Katanga Canyon - oh I love coming up with non-existent ride storylines! :P
Voke

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, but Merlin have just released a statement regarding the upcoming MAP Price Rise, and have stated that Alton will be getting a "Major new attraction" for next year.

Any ideas anyone? A good old Flat would be nice, but with the "Major" label, could this be the Black Hole Tent replacement we've been looking for? I hope so, but I can't help feel that we may be let down by this one, as it was scheduled to be a "Medium Investment" year for the Park.

"Fantastic new investment already announced for 2012 including major new rides at THORPE PARK and at
Alton Towers Resort"
SIMR

Sounds interesting, although I could just see it being a flat ride put in the Black Hole tent. Perhaps 'major' was just referring to Thorpe Park and Alton is just getting new attractions? I don't know. As bad as it sounds, I don't want Alton to spend too much next year, what with SW7 coming a year or two after.
Voke

[quote=""SIMR""]Sounds interesting, although I could just see it being a flat ride put in the Black Hole tent. Perhaps 'major' was just referring to Thorpe Park and Alton is just getting new attractions? I don't know. As bad as it sounds, I don't want Alton to spend too much next year, what with SW7 coming a year or two after.[/quote]

If it was a flat, I'd be very happy, but nontheless, a new attraction for Alton, is still a new addition to the Park, and they'll hype it to hell. I really wonder if their only using the word "Major" to soften the blow of yet another MAP price increase?
bradpeet

It's hype

It's advertising

It's double speak :lol:

And it wouldn't be the first time they had said something like this and then hoped we'd all forget about it and they could quietly drop it or explain why it was no longer possible to deliver.

Merlin / Alton Towers promises do not excite me anymore. :(
Rob L

I'm probably about the only one thinks this but for various reasons I really do think we will be seeing something fairly major next year. Merlin aren't all bad you know and I'm sure they realise that after this years failings in terms of a new attraction they're going to need something substantial next year to attract more guests.

Nightfall

I'm also expecting something fairly major to replace the Black Hole. Major doesn’t mean it will be expensive but it could be a new family coaster, something that’s considered a big addition.

Merlin might have many problems but they are very good at investing in new attractions (just look at Raptor and Krake this year). It's maintaining the older rides they struggle with.
[align=center]Image[/align]
captain

It has to be a family/kiddie coaster - they can't go a second season without a coaster for young children following the Beastie's unfortunate demise. RMT is currently the coaster in the park that has the youngest target market/appeal, yet it pulls some quite strong forces and much of the ride can't be seen. One of the key requirements of a kiddy coaster is that the whole layout can be seen before riding, so the child knows what they are letting themselves in for, and can prepare for it. This is why the Black Hole tent would be unsuitable for a kiddie coaster.

After Thirteen, and with RMT, there's no need for a new family coaster - just a coaster at either end of the thrill spectrum. Seeing as 2013 (or 2014 depending on whether AT fancy denying their plans) is the thrill year, then I think 2012 could be a tiny coaster.

That's not to say there won't be other development, such as a new flat or even a Black Hole replacement.

However, the first we hear of a "major" new attraction coinciding with mid-season price rises was no accident, so I'll believe it when I see it. There hasn't been any planning application yet right? Leaving it late again...
[align=center]Santa Clara[/align]
Voke

But if this so called "Major" attraction will be based in the Black Hole, surely we'll be seeing some clearing out of some sort taking place over the coming months?

I'll believe it when I see it Alton/Merlin.
Dormiens-Dave

I would not expect next years attraction to definately be in the Black Hole tent, they know it needs work doing to it but the Tent requires a lot of work before an attraction is installed and the park would need to find alternatve storage for all of the crap thats in there (mainly scaremaze stuff).

I'm guessing a good mid-range thrill and a beastie replacement is the best we can hope for
seanyboyuk

I dont see myself going to the park until the 2013 coaster is open.
Im hoping the log flume and black hole tent get dealt with for next year.
FallenAbyss

Like Voke ... I'll believe it when I see it ... Major investment is simply marketing speak. Whatever Merlin install next year will be hyped to high heaven so forgive me if i'm not exactly holding my breath right now ...

I could be completely wrong but I'd rather not get my hopes up.
.Will

Wow, this sounds good. It is only a bit of hype but already I am looking forward to 2012. It will be intresting to see what they do but I think that at the moment any new attraction is good for the park and now Merlin have said it is "major" it really does start to get the blood pumping.

I would like an up-to-date replacement for the Beastie maybe something on the scale of Troublesome Trucks at Drayton Manor?

:?