2012: Nemesis - What Lies Beneath - Part 1

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
haydn!

I think the XSector redevelopment keeps getting pulled forward, and pushed back as there have many times over the last few years when 'concrete' plans were allegedly in progress but nothing's really become of it.

I think in 2012 were likely to see one or two major flat rides plus some kind of 'very family' attraction. Pretty much what was expected for 2011 and already predicted for 2012 combined. I'd like to see something more added to Dark Forest and or Forbidden Valley.
Nightfall

I hope Ripsaw stays as is, there's no better place in the park for it unless Merlin spend a lot of money doing it properly. The viewing area, fountains and queue are all vital to the rides experience.

But this wouldn't be the first time the investments been spent in the wrong area of the park. X-Sector and The Flumes site both need more work than Forbidden Valley.
[align=center]Image[/align]
.Will

[quote=""Nightfall""]I hope Ripsaw stays as is, there's no better place in the park for it unless Merlin spend a lot of money doing it properly. The viewing area, fountains and queue are all vital to the rides experience.

But this wouldn't be the first time the investments been spent in the wrong area of the park. X-Sector and The Flumes site both need more work than Forbidden Valley.[/quote]

No one will spend any money on Ripsaw it will be left to rot, it is getting on now and has been patched many time. They will let it die and replace it they will do the same with Submission and Enterprise. I think when they do replace it they will replace it with another Topspin I mean it is almost iconic now on park everybody knows it and is very popular. They could even use another one of Huss' Topspin designs.

There isn't much point spending money on the old flats now to scrape another year or two out of them they might aswell replace the lot and get 20 years +, this would save a huge ammount of money.

:)
haydn!

Yeah, I think the only reason Ripsaw remains is because it's hugely popular. It's also the only decent flat ride on the park!

They've not installed a major flat ride for over 10 years now and those that are there are seriously starting to come of age. Alton Towers need to beef up their flat ride and thrill ride arsenal before Ripsaw and Enterprise meet their maker!
Bstoff1983

I really enjoyed rispsaw... so hopefully they will keep it!
I can't wait to see what the park has in store for us!
Planning Your Orlando Florida Holiday the Right Way!

Heading to Orlando soon? Check us out!

http]
adsyrah

If they move Ripsaw (to Dark Forest seems like the most likely place) would they bite the bullet and get rid of the fountains?

I remember a while back people saying water damage was causing issues with the ride - would mean maintenance costs are at a minimum.

Plus maybe then they'd crank up the ride program as it's not focussing on getting riders wet (or at least threatening with getting them wet).

Also, if they move Ripsaw, could its old location be access to the new rumoured area on the Air carpark? I've no idea what access there is behind Air at the moment.
Voke

[quote=""adsyrah""]Also, if they move Ripsaw, could its old location be access to the new rumoured area on the Air carpark? I've no idea what access there is behind Air at the moment.[/quote]

No, the only area you can access behind Ripsaw is the Woodland Walk to the hotels, the Air carpark is situated just to the right of the Air lifthill, or roughly just next to Air.

I'm hoping for a flat for Dark Forest next year, with a Medium Sized coaster to be added to the Black Hole Tent, with sufficient theming that will spruce up X-Sector. It will actually suprise me if they don't work on the area next year, as I doubt they could do it in 2013-2014 as SW7 will take priority. I'm really hoping they dont leave this too late, and give the area that little bit more of "life" that is needed.
Rob_Green94

If anything I think the park should get two flats this year, even if they were bought from another park and spruced up, at least we would still be getting something. If Ripsaw is moved, I think it should go to the X-Sector and replace submission completely. Also I actually don't like the water, it spoils the ride, and on a cold day when you get drenched, it isn't the best :/ I'd like to see something [s:n0uhvhwg]similar[/s:n0uhvhwg] no no, exactly the same as maelstrom at Drayton Manor, a different theme of course, Its an awesome ride! Something similar to revenge of the mummy ride at Universal would be good for the black hole tent, with some sort of scientific/intimidating themeing to match.
Voke

Remember, it's a "medium" investment year in 2012, and sorry to break it you, but Alton Towers will not be getting a ride as well themed as Revenge Of The Mummy, ever. Merlin just don't have the cash, and will not be able to maintain a coaster of that size.
evil cod

I would like to see 'The Flume' fully refurbished and rethemed. Pirate theme to fit in with Mutiny Bay including new boats and a straight line station themed around Mutiny Bay Docks as well as powder keg effects around lift 2 and a (pirates of the carribian style) caves effect in the dark section. As well as this I would see blade taken back to a ship style and situated over the flume lake in the unused half.
Jordan

Based on the possibility of Secret Weapon 7 being located in Forbidden Valley, it would not surprise me if Blade and Ripsaw were moved from the area at the end of this season. I cannot see Ripsaw being removed from the park as it was refurbished over closed season, but I think it would fit in quite nicely in the Dark Forest themed as a woodcutter's blade.

Whether Blade should be relocated or removed is something I'm less sure about - Mutiny Bay already has a pirate ship-themed attraction with Heave Ho, and at the same time Blade isn't a shining example of a Huss Swinging Ship. I like cod's idea of relocating it next to The Flume, but that would depend on an overdue Flume retheme happening - something I doubt if major plans for the Black Hole come to fruition next year too.

We'll have to wait and see :)
James6

Lets just hope 2012 ends up as exciting as it sounds or could/should be.

I think/hope Blade and Ripsaw will both be removed and re-located, Ripsaw into Dark Forest along with 1 new flat. Could blade be located to Coaster Corner to form a part of CCL? Maybe themed to a giant bee or something :P ? Would just add a little thrill to the area and would fit with it's 1m height restriction. That or I like the idea the Flume Lake.

Secondly, in my opinion, the BH replacement has to be a coaster. I just don't think anything else would fit the bill. And whilst the rumours of a Vekoma are sounding likely, and quite promising. What about one of these... [url=http://www.intaminworldwide.com/amuseme ... fault.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.intaminworldwide.com/amuseme ... fault.aspx[/url]

Compact, lap bars ( :P ) , high capacity and can get to high speed quickly with low height. Plus I wonder if one of the bundle deals could have been done with Intamin like in the days of the accelerators (therefore lowering the cost)?
If you go down to the Towers today, you\'d better ride Th13teen. :P
Voke

I couldn't imagine Alton getting anything other than a Vekoma for the tent, and I doubt they will get anything different. The Vekoma lauched does look very promising, couldn't we have something on the scale of Space Mountain? It's roughly about the same scale as the tent itself, and it definatly do'able, just please, Alton, use some decent theming!
AdrenalineAlex

Ripsaw should not be removed, it is an amazing flat ride. So if it does get removed it better just be replaced with another topspin. I really like the idea of re-theming the flume into a pirate bay ride, that would be pretty awesome and the idea of the coaster in the tent sounds quite good. However, if it was just a normal coaster in the dark wouldn't it get immediate comparisons to X:/WTF?
Rob_Green94

Yeah but X: No way out goes backwards, is mega slow and stops at like 3 brakes. That Intamin one looks awesome but it might steal TH13TEEN's thunder. As for the Flume being re-themed as a dock, that sounds brill! Not that original though, I can think of tonnes of pirate themed water rides. As for the BH tent, I have no idea what they will fill it with. I for one loved Black Hole, an ace ride! lets just hope its replacement is just as good.
Dylan

Wouldn't it be hilarious if Alton Towers purchased X No Way Out from Thorpe as the second hand Vekoma! I also agree with Cod that Blade should really be relocated into the Flume lake and pirate themed. Would give it a new lease of life.
AstroDan

Or alternatively, they scrap Blade (it's simply so old now) and purchase, much like Drayton Manor did a few years back, a brand new model - from either Huss or Intamin!

:D
Dormiens-Dave

From a Personal opinion 2012 is really make or brake for me as to whether i feel Alton Towers can remain in the Upper echelons of european themeparks. The last two years with a disappointing SW and a pointless 2011 with stupid sponsorship and little to no work been done on the parks maintenance have really dragged what promised to be such a good start from merlin back into the dregs that where late tussauds.

However from my time on the customer forum, although we got no real information i got the feeling that 2012 could actually be a real "wow" of a year just from the optimism of the people we met. And as much as i have mocked the upper management of Alton Towers in the last few weeks a lot of people in middle management have a real passion for the park and if they seem optimistic about the future then hopefully we will start to see some real improvements and some amazing rides.

I really hope its Blackhole tent for 2012, preferably with a fantastic dark ride by Wardley.
Blaze

[quote=""AstroDan""]Or alternatively, they scrap Blade (it's simply so old now) and purchase, much like Drayton Manor did a few years back, a brand new model - from either Huss or Intamin!

:D[/quote]
Would a part-exchange be out of the question? It's probably the best thing for all parties.

.Will

I think it's going to be of more value scrapped to be honest, I don't think there is much point selling it becuase it will need money spending on it. Might as well buy a new one and get 20 years plus out of it.