The old Towers Street Music

What rides and attractions do you miss? Share your memories of Alton Towers' extensive past here.
AshleeK

I absolutely love the old Towers Street music. It might sound sad, but I actually listen to it quite often. But recently I've noticed that it's essentially a mash-up of old Towers music put into one track. Obviously there's the Hall Of The Mountain King, but I've also noticed bits based on Toyland Tours and the Haunted House. Has anyone else noticed this? And if so, has anyone recognised any other ride music in there?
Nemair

Its quite common knowledge, but only really to Alton oldies.

It was made up of Peter Rabbit Ice show music, Toyland Tours Theme, Hall of the mountain king, Haunted House escape, Over the Hills and Far away and an additional theme which appears in two variations (beginning and after the in the hall music)

It's a great piece of music and a shame it went!
AshleeK

Yeah, it's a real shame that it's gone, although I think I now understand why. Because the old Towers Street was just a medley of music from around the park, and with the exception of the Hall of The Mountain King the other music was from attractions that have now closed down :(
MissSmith

You are not the only one to listen to it often.

It is a shame it went. I could only hear Toyland Tours and Haunted House music but now I know about the other pieces as well, I understand why they got rid of it.
Deceiving Others.
That is what the world calls a romance.
Hark

I do miss the old Towers Street music although the current one is just as good. I do wish though that during the fireworks they revert back to the old Towers Street Music, as it would just bring back that extra bit of magic before they close for the year.
PeteB

The old towers street music is all done by Graham Smart, who composed music for Haunted House, Toyland Tours, Nemesis and others.

Even the version of In The Hall Of The Mountain King is Graham's own, and thats why all the tracks blend seamlessly into each other.

His style of music had a very magical feel to it (kinda like Disney but with a very British twist on it) and thats probably why it brings back such great memories of the park from the 90's.

If the park management could actually see sense they would realise that music is timeless, even if their attractions aren't, and that Graham's music has a fantastic uplifting feel to it which adds a lot to a guests experience even if only on a subconscious level - most people won't be intentionally listening to the music around the park.

What's more, the park has actually paid for this great music to be composed exclusively for them, it's a lot better than the cobbled-together royalty free crap they use now.
Nemair

The new music albeit Royalty Free, was written especially for the park. The music that appeared around 2007 was commissioned when new management came in, who thought it a good idea (and cheaper) to have a new music brand throughout the park. You can still hear the theme in places today but it didn't really work, and so we now have a theme heard in towers street and Katanga i believe, elsewhere has been reverted back to older music, and new music utilises the Grieg theme.

Grahams music was brilliant, but royalties mean that the park go for a less expensive option, and get a 'one price pay' piece of music with no royalties.

ps. I believe the inspiration for the opening of the old towers street music was the opening to the film 'hook' by John Williams ;)
ATJakee96

I have to say i do love the new tower street music - tower street mix down , i actually love to listen to it as its such a magical song. But yes i do miss the old song both as good as each other though :D
Snowy

I have very fond memories of that music...

Walking into the park, hearing the music and seeing the water jumping over the lilly pads...I knew I'd arrived then :)
cybermen39

Yes great memories i remember 2 bears and henry coming out of the top shop in towers street doing the conga with members of staff so funny and started the day great.
lagolfer09

To be honest i have an Alton Towers Album on my iTunes and iPhone, and listening to the Old Towers Street Music certainly his a string on the old heart. Memories as a kid, Toyland Tours, The haunted house. I also like the music from Katanga Canyon. Again memories as a kid...: :cry:
RachaelSwann

I was listening to this music just today and thought how magical and wonderful it was. Used to listen to it before I went to sleep. :)

Hi everyone, was sick of talking to friends who had never been to Alton Towers (and some never even to any theme parks!) so wanted to talk to like-minded people on here to share my great passion :) xx
BigAl

I set the old Towers Street music to play on my RCT3 as the ambient music so now I always hear it when I play the game :D

I miss that tune and I find myself humming it all the time and other people start copying me (I don't think they realise what it actually is :P ). Last Scarefest I heard parts of it being mixed with other creepy music and for a moment I thought they'd brought it back but then it went off and other music started playing. I was so happy to hear it playing at the park, even if it was only the eerie part rather than the whole tune. It was a really nice touch and I hope they carry on using parts of it again :)
AltonTowersNerd

[quote="BigAl"]
I set the old Towers Street music to play on my RCT3 as the ambient music so now I always hear it when I play the game.

------------------------
Same here i do that too.
AltonTowersNerd

I do really miss the old Towers Street music, i remember the HH and TT tracks; just recently i uncovered a new piece of the music that everyone might not know, Peter Rabbit and Friends. Its after the Toyland Tours part.
DavidRock

ahhh memries......

Toyland Tours theme is a classic and gets hummed quite a lot is just so damn catchy..... best thing is humming it as your about to get into the boats on Charlie and see is the ride ops give a little smile......

in 2012 season i noticed 3 ride ops that have smiled as ive been humming it and 1 ride op commenting...

"You can tell your an Alton Towers fan"

How very true those words are  :D :D