Our beloved Oblivion stalling?!

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
SnowRules

Now.. let's consider this logically, of course the chance of Oblivion's underground tunnel flooding is incredibly small. I'm sure when construction was taking place Alton Towers and the design team will have taken into account the possibility of the tunnel flooding and therefore added warning systems (if the water was to rise above a certain mark) and a drainage system.

The chance of the Oblivion shuttle stalling within the underground tunnel is again very very small (so small that I wouldn't even consider it happening). It's basic physics.. the shuttle will have a huge amount of momentum, which will result from gravitational potential energy being converted into kinetic enery, the drop is around 180 foot (correct me if I am wrong) and the shuttle will weight quite a few tonne. As it free falls on the drop it falls with the force due to gravity, 9.81 m/s/s, appox. As it falls due to gravity it is able to reach a velocity of 68 mph. The mass and velocity of the shuttle give a huge amount of momentum which is more than enough to get the shuttle around the track. The only way I'd ever see Oblivion stalling underground was if something was to get lodged in the track and even then it would have to be quite large and hard, if it was anything soft then the shuttle would most likely just cut through it.
Nightfall

It could happen if the track or wheels are coated with something that has a large Coefficient of friction (really sticky in other words). While the cart would be travelling with allot of momentum the speed per section of track could be lowered by just enough to not make it over the banked turn.

Of course if this did happen it would either be sabotage or due to a long period of inactivity (several years).
[align=center]Image[/align]
El Patricko

^^ Well to be slightly pedantic it's actually more like 165 ft!, not the widely believed "180ft" :D

The reason that it shouldn't flood is still in debate, athough my theory (as posted above) is that there is a ledge-like sump underneath at the point where the drop has curved round enough to cover the hole diameter.

For me the question (and an interesting one at that) is which method has been used to ensure that the tunnel never floods!.
"If Alton Towers get a shrek 4d attraction next year i, El Patricko will eat a steak garnished with pond weed"

Officially, "the first man out on the town in shorts 2011"
Mi-Nigle

It doesn't flood because they just used some magic they had floating around back then!

But really I can't think of a fail-safe that would ensure no flooding. If the alarm and pumps cease is there a contingency plan? An IR camera perhaps?
Bear

^ That is what I thought would already be in place, but then I heard about "tree-testing"...