Ride accidents and dangers that you have experienced

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Wildboy

Im interested to know of peoples bad ride experiences/accidents/injuriess that have placed you in real danger.

I will start it off. I have 3 main experiences that I can remember. Firstly was as a child on the dodgems. I wasnt expecting such a violent collision and hit my face on the steering wheel giving me a massive nose bleed.

Secondly was on a sea front big wheel as a kid. The gondolas were like saucers with no lap restraint and it was a pretty blustery day. The gondolas were swinging back and forward to the point where everyone was screaming. They got us off pretty pronto and closed the ride.

Finally was the old magic carpet ride at chessington. I was just tall enough to ride so I went on with my dad and I managed to slip under the lap bar. As the ride gyrated I was rattling around in the footwell so my dad tried to push both feet onto my body to try and keep me pinned in as he tried to flag the ride operator but the negative Gs at the top meant I kept edging towards the edge with every rotation. by the time it stopped I was laying in the footwell with my head hanging out the side. A short while longer and I would have been out. There was a glass fibre indian in the middle of the ride and when ever I went to chessington I would look at it and shudder as it smurked back at me.

All my experiences have been as a child and I cant go on any of those ride types to this day.

So what similar dangerous ride experiences have you had?...
Enjoying Rollercoasters as part of a healthy balanced diet since 1983
starbugger1303

I have one, It happended Whirlwind, The worlds worst Maurer Sohne in the world, In Camelot.

I wasn't on it at the time but I was queuing for it. A screeching sound was coming from one of the cars (Imagine a louder version of a metal bar running along a fence), my dad said that the face of one of the boys in the car was filled terror and fear. My dad then told me to get out of the queue, as I did everyone else did. The ride was closed for the rest of the day.

:shock:

--Post Info Added--

I am also sad to hear about your experiences.
Last edited by starbugger1303 on Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.Will

Sorry to hear about you experiences. I think most rides should be fitted with individual lap bars to increase safety it can be a real problem on lots of rides.

It will probably come as some comfort to some people that generally as a rule that more people are hurt off rides, the main cause of injuries or fatalities being people climbing into restricted areas. A lot of people comment on how restraints pop open and they were hanging on for dear life. There are only two words to describe some of these bull :censored:

The only injury I have ever suffered was when I carelessly put my arms up on Nemesis, not thinking about the danger; my little finger was whipped by a unpruned twig. I was hit with major injuries most notably a cut about 1cm long only just piercing the skin, this soon became infected because I got brake fluid in it, after I was prescribed some anti-septic cream by my doctor ... Nasty!

After 3ish years of heavy ride riding that is the only thing I can honestly say has ever happened, I did have a couple of scary experiences namely at the Nottingham Goose Fair!

:P
Nightfall

I have two rather gory accidents involving theme parks. Thankfully neither happened to me although I was present at the first. If anyone’s squeamish I wouldn’t recommend reading on.

On a trip to Legoland with my cubs group (early 2000s) there was trouble with the exit to the Amazing Mazes. The path had become really slippery and quite a few people where falling over. When we came to leave one of our groups slipped over near the end of the path, skidding onto one of the metal drainage groves. The grove sliced several layers of skin from his knee. Despite it looking really series he avoided any real damage but was unable to walk. Luckily Legoland were really helpful and managed to bandage it up and provide a wheelchair. The wheelchair ended up being the most memorable part of the trip.

Now the second was a very series accident which happened to a family friend. I don’t see him that often but managed to get most the details from his mother. He’s had a scar above his right eye which has never healed despite it being over 10 years ago. The incident occurred on a roller coaster in the Netherlands. I think it was a travelling ride because I’ve never been able to find out what type it was.
He was only just tall enough to ride, which was quite a bit shorter than a British equivalent would allow. Because of his size he was quite lose in the restraint. The ride was apparently badly put together and several joints jutted out from the seat in front. On a really rough section of the ride he was thrown forward and smashed his head into what has been described to me as a lose nail, right above the eye (cringe).
As you can imagine he was bleeding quite badly and had to be taken to hospital. Having seen the scar it’s shocking how close it was to hitting his eye. Obviously he hasn’t been on a Roller Coaster since, which is a real shame as it sounds like the ride was an accident waiting to happen.

I certainly hope neither of these tails put anyone off rides. The first was a fluke and could have happened at any ordinary park. The second happened back in the 90s and I’d be shocked if it ever happened again.
[align=center]Image[/align]
Chaz

I ran into a wall in the queue for X:WTF many years back and broke my little finger...

That is all.
1ne, 2wo, 3hree, 4our, 5ive, 6ix, se7en, ei8ht, 9ine, t10n, e11even, tw12ve, th13teen

www.facebook.com/charliemarsh7
Pricey ;)

i have had 3 scary moments in my riding history:
one was at a funfair and i was on a miami ride, i was quite little and it was boiling hot, there were 2 massive welsh girls on the ride with me so the bar wasnt very tight i fyou get my drift. The ride started and i was enjoying it, but as the operator starteded bouncing it up and down i started to slide under the bar, i tried to grab the handles but they were metal so they were bioling hot from the sun! luckily a woman told the operator to stop the ride, as my dad was in the loo's. i got off shacking.

the second is more of an accident, last year in TOTT i was behind a girl, a man jumped out and she tripped over a platform or something on the floor. she fell, i fell, 2 people behind me fell ontop of us
-__- it hurt. Then as we entered the cage maze a man put his head up against the fence and screamed i startled and wacked my head of the wall i felt realy dizzy, the strobes didnt help! i got out fine and i just had a small cut, but it still hurt for the rest of the day.

the third was at disney land for my fith birthday, we were on a pirates ride with a steep lift (i cant remember which one!) and there was a bang and stopped, we were there for what felt like hours and my neck was in agony, i cant realy remember anything else, i was only 5! 8)
Jem8472

I got hit right in the eyeball with rain at the bottom of the first drop on Thirteen! That hurt.

But seriously I have no had any accidents with rides hope my lucky streak continues 8)
ReZourceman

I once fell out of Stealth when it was on the peak of its top hat. I rolled when I hit the floor, only real injury (apart from bruises) was a broken toe.
gosling

LOL ^ :mrgreen:

Well I know my brother lifted his arms before launch of Rita. Got off and complained his shoulder was hurting, few months down the line it was still giving him jip so he went to his GP. Turns out he had dislocated it and it had popped back in again almost instantly. Ouchies. Made us very aware of the "sensible" time to let go haha.

My injory wasn't even on a ride. I got off Rita and, in a rush, I tripped over the big boulders along the path, faceplanted, slide on my skull across the path and ended up shattering my little finger/left side of my right hand. Agony. But it wasn't as a direct result of the ride so yeah :) [Plus AT treated me terribly at the time BUT! I managed to sort if with AT HQ in the end so it's not all bad news]
~ Good try but not this time ~
seanyboyuk

I was on the big dipper one week before the famous derailment accident in which the train failed to stop in the station and we was sent round 2nd time.
It was kinda funny looking back that the ride ops didnt seem bothered that this had happened and two trains where in operation at the time!
Ive mentioned this in the past on my TR to bpb if anybody questions it being legit.

Other than this i havent had any other incidents.
Blaze

Hit some grass with my hand on Kumali, Rita tried to kill me, whilst riding The Ultimate, a drop of water smashed me in the chest, which hurt at the speed we were travelling at, I rode Nemesis and Rita front row during heavy rainfall, and, most dangerous of all, I have ridden The Ultimate. :P

Think I've been lucky, I missed the RMT accident by about 7 days.
Benzin

My seatbelt came undone at the Millenium Dome Christmas fair all those years ago...

Tripped over at the old Thorpe mini-golf as well and was left with a massive red mark on my forehead...

That's about it really... I'm not as clumsy as I once was...
TB2

I've only ever fallen in the gap between Tidal wave and the station platform. Left with a nice cut.

I've seen a lot of incidents though, from people getting their arms broken at Tiny Truckers to the Peeking Heights wheel being out of control. All fun times. :mrgreen:
1. Expedition Everest 2. Hollywood Tower of Terror 3.Superman De Acero 4. Katun and Nemesis 6. OzIris 7. Blue Fire 8. Black Mamba 9. Manta 10. Oblivion

QTXAdsy

Riding Tornado at M&D's...

'Nuff said. :dizzy:
Big Dave

I've ridden a Maurer Söhne ride. Deffinately enough said :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

Genuinely believe the SC part doesnt mean spinning coaster but S :censored: construction
Last edited by Big Dave on Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DiogoJ42

:-k Well, I've been on The Ultimate...
mattbailey

[quote=""DiogoJ42""]:-k Well, I've been on The Ultimate...[/quote]

May I add... the front row in the rain...
:shock:
emma_b_321

Last year at Thorpe Park, a mechanic left a pair of pliers on the seat next to me on Detonator after fixing a problem with one of the restraints. It flew off the seat as we came down and it beat us to the ground with a bang and many horrified looks from the queue line. Thankfully the spanner kind of fell straight down underneath the ride and not out to where the people were standing in the queue, or else it could have been a very serious incident indeed...
leahbee

Had the saem experience with the magic carpet! I slipped under the bar and held on for dear life the whole time as I was on the outside edge of the ride. None of the adults believed me afterwards! Was years and years before they closed it down, maybe 1993-4 ish. Never forgot it!