Ride accidents and dangers that you have experienced

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Morgan

Only back in march, I was on RMT and it was raining. That was fun. Then it took a turn for the worse... It started hailing. I kept on saying "Ow this is so much ow fun ow ow!"
nemefan08

On my first go on rita I did not keep my head back so I was choked by my restraint. Not any thing else YET. :lol
lucozade

When in falaraki water park...

1st thing we did was get in the BIG 3 waterslides, it was pretty messy, you free fall without touching the slide as it's so steep and you have speed before the drop.

Well did all 3. Had lunch & went back to go again, but queung up we see a woman miss the slide and land on the tiles full force from the top, it was at least 5 stories up... Blood everywhere n screams, closed the ride, she broke her pelvis and her back had to be airlifted.

I also watched a man jump over the fence on nemesis to get a trainer back and he nearly got obliterated by a train... He jumped straight back out... Without his trainer.

I was also watching nemesis & deciding if I should ride when a woman not far from me was hit in the head by a set of keys that came flying out of the train.

I saw a woman break her leg tripping and falling down the bank outside the black hole and then when the ambulance cane she was blaming AT coz she was clumsy!
Last edited by Michelle on Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Edited to remove double post.
RCandrew

This year I was at Drayton manor and when riding StormForce 10, on the last drop I hit my face off the bar infront and burst my nose oped... I don't know how it happened :-k :(
inFusion

I rode The Ultimate.
Morgan

Oh deer.
Ryan.B

I got an lump from infusion, straight after the sidewinder I smashed my left ear on it, really needs the new JO trains.
Inferno Attractions

I've had one at Alton Towers believe it or not

I was young (Under the 1.4 height) and wanted to go on the 'big ones' so I got some padding (socks) stuffed into my shoe to make me taller

Then I went on Air and I could get my feet free from the clamps and put my feet on them so I was going around with nothing keeping my legs from being chopped off from the ground, luckily I wasn't dumb enough to stick my legs infront of me to see what would happen
Thanks to lewis97 for the signature (I think he may be a Wizard)

Inferno Attractions
daymo74

Quite a bad one as it happens, & the death knell for the ride in question & the park (I use the term loosely, it was a hole!) in which it was housed. Back in July 2005 I rode the Jet-Stream at Rhyl Ocean Park (with my Fearless then 4 year old daughter). It was pretty quiet, but as we approached the ride, another couple nabbed the 2 front seats, so we took the back 2 instead & another single rider sat in the middle of the car. The ride had a long station front with 2 cars & as the 1st car leaves the station, the other car moves along from the unload area to the loading side.

It didn't! :(

I saw it on the track in front of us as we came round the final bend a half second before we ploughed into it. I had enough time to grab my daughter & pull her in close to protect her so she only ended up with a few bruises. I damaged my lower back (Still suffer with it now) & got a few cuts & bruises, the guy in the middle came off much the same. The 2 peeps in the front seats weren't so lucky, & were carted off in ambulances with chest & leg injuries, never found out what happened to them. The staff on the ride didn't know what the hell to do & didn't have phones, just stood there smoking rollies, so I had to call the ambulance myself (after 5 minutes convincing the woman on 999 that yes I was ACTUALLY sat on a coaster that had crashed!), 2 fire engines rocked up 5 minutes later & freed us from the restraints. The park closed forever sometime shortly after.

Mercifully, neither me or my daughter suffered any long term mental issues, we're both still HUGE coaster fans! We're just a little more selective around WHERE we go! ;)
Jammydodger

Not exactly a Ride, however, we witnessed a man being taken away in stretcher from Saw Alive. It turns out he ran out of the maze, and slipped on the exit bridge, breaking his back.
It was particularly rainy, and to be honest we were quite surprised that the host pretty much straight up told us what happened, because we didn't actually see the incident happen. Probably not the best thing to do really...
Ripsaw Raver

2006 i was on Montu at BGT just after the Immelman by harness unclicked, if it wasnt for the seatbelt, i dare say it could have opened fully and i wouldn't be here today, it wasn't until the g force of the batwing at the bottom of the inversion that the g-force was strong enough to slam it back down. What happened was when we were being dispatched the old bloke who was doing my restraint really pushed it down and i think when the g-force was pushing my body out it knocked it out of the latch. I might have only gone up one click but i swear it went higher.
Ryan.B

Nemesis doesn't lock all the time in the station, always locks on pre drop for me
Dan

AT lover wrote:Nemesis doesn't lock all the time in the station, always locks on pre drop for me
That's probably the g-force pushing the restraint down another ratchet. If the restraint wasn't locked the train wouldn't be dispatched.
TheOutpatient

This is more of an minor incident than a accident but one time I was on Ramses Revenge at Chessington and this bloke was too big to ride it. It took ages to sort him out. Apparently the computer wasn't having it. I didn't know the ride gave feedback like that.

Another small one, this was my Dad's fault, bless him, on Nemesis. He stopped the whole ride because he was holding a phone (in a sunglasses case).A ride attendant came and took it off him on the lift hill. They had obviously seen him on camera. It was funny cause I was already nervous as Hell and had been queuing a long time. We thought the ride had broken down or something.
BadgerBodger

I know that its generally frowned upon to resurrect old topics, but after finding the OP's account of their experience on the childhood trauma inducing Magic Carpet Ride at Chessington I felt I had to throw mine into the bag as well.

I too was 'okayed' to go on that ride and I swear blind that I probably didn't meet the requirements, or perhaps that the requirements were too low. Either way this machine wanted to throw me out and off. The bar did not hold me down and there was a good few inches between me and it. I have no idea how I survived the entire ride as at the end of each swoop I was practically doing a summersalt over the bar as my hands were clinging to it and my bum flew out of the seat and slid up the back of the chair. I believe it must have been a combination of my legs scissoring outward between the seats and my mum holding me down that kept me from flying off the ride. Terrifying and not at all fun...how there were no accidents on that kind of ride I have no idea.

I also rode The Ultimate a few weeks ago. Still feel like I've been beaten up.
Swarm Chris

Have to say, my most terrifying ride experience was also on the Chessington's Magic Carpet for the same reason. For me, I was a kid sat in the same row as two larger lady's, so the full row restraint came down perfectly for them, not so much for me.

The opposite happens to me now on Hex, as I'll typically be the larget person in the row. Although, people usually pull that bar down uncomfortably hard once the ride starts!