Alton Towers Live - Music Concert 19th June 2011

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Dormiens-Dave

Wow how snobbish are themepark fans with their music... I dont particularly like the line up but dont mock those that do... Remember we each have our own tastes and there plenty who would look in scorn at us being so interested in themeparks and this will indeed bring in money for towers. Its a business after all
AstroDan

Agreed, Dave.

This line up is perfect for families! Absolutely, 100%. They had P!NK last year and no doubt will announce other concerts for 2011, possibly more specific to rock bands or other.

:)
Adam

Guys, just to point a few things out...

JLS have had 4 UK number 1's. McFly have had 7 UK number 1's. The Saturdays have been in the Top 10 for pretty much all of their singles, and that other lass did well I suppose.

My point is, all of the acts are VERY popular with the people that actually buy singles. So looking at it that way, the line up is pretty cool.

And my comment about the other concert, let me expand. As some people know, Towers are/were planning 2 concerts this year. But no details on the 2nd have been released yet, personally I feel it will definitely appeal to a different audience to this current one, otherwise what's the point. But as everything, stuff changes so they may even scrap the other concert anyway.
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."
Doopy Dan

So looking at it that way, the line up is pretty cool.
In my opinion, there is no possible way you can justify that line-up as being cool! Obviously opinions vary from person to person.

Good for Alton Towers business due to the bands filling the park?...Probably.

But cool?,...Nahhh!
Moley

This is currently absolutely all over Twitter.

A job very well done Alton Towers. :clap:
Dormiens-Dave

[quote="".Adam""]Guys, just to point a few things out...

JLS have had 4 UK number 1's. McFly have had 7 UK number 1's. The Saturdays have been in the Top 10 for pretty much all of their singles, and that other lass did well I suppose.

My point is, all of the acts are VERY popular with the people that actually buy singles. So looking at it that way, the line up is pretty cool.

And my comment about the other concert, let me expand. As some people know, Towers are/were planning 2 concerts this year. But no details on the 2nd have been released yet, personally I feel it will definitely appeal to a different audience to this current one, otherwise what's the point. But as everything, stuff changes so they may even scrap the other concert anyway.[/quote]

Just two? Hmmm
Blaze

I doubt the other concert will cater for fans who like music, no self respecting real band would play it unless it was a proper festival style event and Alton wouldn't book anyone the lowest common denominator chav guest would like. Shame, really, and it's a shame they could even get any decent pop acts if they absolutely had to go for pop acts, but ah well, I won't be going, so it's not hurting me in any way.
AstroDan

That's not the case at all.

Like, P!NK, they could easily get a proper band in to play a proper evening concert. It's advertised in the usual way, all over Ticketmaster, SEE Tickets etc. Alton Towers just happens to be the venue.

In the 90's the played host to many pop and rock gigs and can host the worlds biggest stars.

Big Dave

They need a singer/group that can entertain the audience. There is no point putting on a band that have good songs, yet dont have a clue on how to keep 14,000+ people amused for a couple of hours. This is why Pink worked so well. She is a natural entertainer.
NickT04

[quote=""AstroDan""]Ahhh! I'd love Feeder to play, but sadly they aren't the crowd puller they once were and I doubt they'd even fill 1/4 of the green.

Although not my scene, GREAT event from Alton Towers here. Also, £55 is a good price - especially as it also includes Car Parking!

:D[/quote]

Blame Radio 1 for that! :P They've basically gone for the bands who are popular because the media have told people they are good and the nation's sheep have followed obediently :mrgreen:

However it's a no brainer for Alton to use these bands as it's a right little earner. I'd also go on to say that as an outdoor venue, Alton Towers is probably one of the most prestigious non-festival locations in the UK!
Big Dave

I'd actually like to see Robbie Williams/Take that to come to the park. Robbie is a great entertainer and would be good to see him back in Stoke again!
Dormiens-Dave

Alton Towers would be seen by promoters as a unique gig event with a central location and the required infastructure. They will have seen the sucess with pink. Theres two seperate ticket selling oppertunities (via tradition gig ticket vendors and towers themselves) and a keen host who has a massive interest in promoting the event.

Dont see why a big name would pass up on the chance to be honest
NickT04

Is four month's notice not enough for you?!

I'd also like to say that's a snazzy little Alton Towers Live logo they've rustled up - if a bit pink :D
djtruefitt

It does seem to include park entry, rides, concert and parking. So thats pretty good value as you can often pay £50 to see a top artist on there own without the themepark. Also with parking included this may help problems they had last time with people getting stuck at the pay barriers.
siralgenon

[quote=""damos1""]I feel cheated :evil:

Okay only one day but again hiring out the park during main season and a weekend :(

They really should be mailing annual passholders with information you cannot enter on this day.

Given they say no entry during special events but they do not tell you the dates of them when buying/renewing your pass.

After all Legoland manage free entry during Legoland live and include this with the standard day rate although I assume this is unorganised by Alton and some company has hired the park to place the event hence no Annual Pass reductions.

Surely like Pink it could be possible to kick non concert go-ers out before the concert starts due to a late start time.

Either way unlikely but Annual pass holders should be able to purchase concert tickets for a fair say £20 pp just under normal day rate saving basically.[/quote]

I agree, I've bought a Premium Annual Pass (and yes I got it on the Facebook offer lol) but if your paying that amount of money and only getting free parking which we alrady had before on the standard the least they could do is give us cheaper tickets for Alton Towers Live but it should really be included!
AstroDan

There may well be a reduction for Premium Pass Holders? Who knows what they'll say.

RE: Kicking people out before so that "concert only people" can get in... well - it was logistically a pain in the neck for P!NK.
siralgenon

Sorry for going off subject but what's Thorpe Park hiring Alton Towers for?
(if thats what you mean)
MinteButtons

It's not personally my taste in music, however they will make a killing.

I've told my friends and a few of them are trying to get tickets, so it's obviously popular.

I'm just hoping there would be a rock concert, as rock has just as bigger fanbase as pop music
Dormiens-Dave

I think making concerts a ticket only event is the best idea so much so thati completely agreed with it on the customer forum as from reports the pink concert was not a success in regards to seperating the day guests from the concert goers as many people complained that they ended up at the back of the crowds when they hadnt bought a park ticket as well.

There are issues with annualpass access and they are aware of it and i imagine they will try and appease the pass holders but you did buy it knowing that restriction and i doubt there will be more than 2 or 3 concerts a year.
Rob L

This is most certainly going to be great for Towers, it will no doubt be a sell out! It's also very good value if you don't own an annual pass!

Also, I don't think this has been posted, but Alton Towers have said this on their Facebook page: "The Premium Pass does exclude concert dates, however watch this space for an offer for Premium Pass holders"; so it looks like they may be offering Premium Pass holders a better deal which would be great!