Fastrack, Website, ERT & Brochures 2011

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Coke

I agree, some facts would be great!

Are you thirsty?
Big Dave

Thing is, its not a fan site. Its main aim is to sell the ride to the viewers of the site and most people will only read the top few lines. It would be like a super market putting this on the shelf edge label:

A bar of: Full Cream Milk, Sugar, Cocoa Mass, Cocoa Butter, Milk Solids, Vegetable Fat, Emulsifiers (Soya Lecithin, 476), Flavours. May contain traces of Nuts. Milk Chocolate contains Cocoa Solids 26%, Milk Solids 28%

Instead they would of course just put a bar of Cadbury's Dairy Milk. Alton Towers wont go into the full background of each ride as they know that the vast majority of the viewers of that site wont care about about it. Their website is purely a way of showcasing what attractions they have and to ultimately sell tickets to the park.

If used on their thrill rides to show off a ride then yes I can kinda understand, but they will use a video instead as it sells better than a load of facts.
CoasterCrazyChris

Obviously you wouldn't put a list of facts up there, but just real basic stuff like "Oblivion opened in 1998 after a year of secrecy and intense marketing and was the world's first vertical drop rollercoaster".

Don't get me wrong, I think the new ride pages are great and better than before, but thats just what I think they should do to perfect them.

:)
Big Dave

The homepage background image is here if any wants it.

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v239/ ... mepage.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v239/ ... mepage.jpg[/url]
Blaze

Frankly, the new website is superb. Full marks Alton, this was well worth the wait [-o<
haydn!

I really like the new website - probably there best yet. But, the logo and menu becomes very badly pixelated when I view the site on my iPhone? This is over wi-fi too so network image compression is not responsible.

It's great to see every ride/attraction featured instead of just a few biggies but some of the info is also a little out of date. For example, on the Characters page. Alton Bear can apparently be seen around the resort celebrating Alton Towers 30th Birthday this year? Wasn't that last year?
wicky_woo

Another little error I have noticed is with the golf pages.
On the page for the golf under the attractions heading it says play before 3pm and get 9 holes free

http://www.altontowers.com/theme-park/a ... nary-golf/

But under the golf 'special offers' it says 4pm.

http://www.altontowers.com/special-offe ... ial-offer/

Could anybody please confirm which one is correct?

Vicky
Big Dave

Im think it was always 3pm, but Im not sure.
andyface

This branding has really grown on me since the first few images were released!
I absolutely love the Towers background - it's so simple but it just looks great! The lettering is also really inventive and playful, and even the custom font looks much better in this context.
Great to see!
Rob L

[quote=""AstroDan""]Love it. However:

Thirteen still a thrill ride?
Scarefest 2011 the longest?

Pfft!

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk[/quote]
It is the longest Scarefest Dan, it's one day longer to incorporate the 31st October which is on the Monday! :wink:

PeteB

[quote=""Rob""][quote=""AstroDan""]Love it. However:

Thirteen still a thrill ride?
Scarefest 2011 the longest?

Pfft!

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk[/quote]
It is the longest Scarefest Dan, it's one day longer to incorporate the 31st October which is on the Monday! :wink:[/quote]

Wasn't Scarefest (or other halloween event) running for almost 3 weeks a few years back?
Rob L

To be fair I can't be sure of that as I never went to any of the previous halloween events, so I was just referring to the period since Scaefest was brought back.

AstroDan

The scarefest I worked in 2007 was 13th October to 4th November, a week longer than any since!

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
Adam

The errors on the site have been fixed. All tabs and media are now working in Firefox. :)
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."
Wes

I've got to say, I do love the site. Oozes magic. =P~
Mi-Nigle

Don't know if it's my browser, but the site's very buggy at the moment. A lot of the links don't work or direct me to the wrong page and there's no sound on the videos. :(

Not going to knock them for these little niggles though because they can always be sorted and overall it looks brilliant. It really puts the resort in a good light. :)
Merlin

I luuuv... the new site. Soooo... much easier to navigate around and find things. The ride videos are cool, not all of them seems to have sound though.

I've also discovered on there that In the early 1900s the 20th Earl, founded the Talbot Motor Car Company. I never new that!

Their heritage site has also been updated and is very interesting.

Nice one Alton :clap:
Coke

Now working for me on Safari at long last...

Are you thirsty?
Chris1

This website is a massive improvement on the previous one...

Much more professional, much easier to navigate around with a slight hint of magic! I really like the effects used around the logo at the beggining of the videos aswell...

Best website yet IMO...

:clap:
oldgitBEN

tabs still not working on firefox, have cleared my cache as well. What ive seen on the site is good, just a shambolic launch.