Ultimate Fireworks 2011

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
AstroDan

Alton Towers have insufficent budget to operate the two "resort" mazes as part of the inclusive Scarefest ticket price. This is obviously a BIG shame.

:(
Nerdsticks

Shouldn't we split this topic? Because Talking about two different events in one topic is quite annoying, so I'll go ahead and create a separate one for Scarefest 2011, hopefully it wont get locked. :P
This topic should be only for the fireworks now!
Scarefest lunatic!
Islander

(isn't there a more recent Fireworks topic? Can't find it...)

Just seen the following posted on Twitter by Towers:

[quote=""@ATGuestServices""]There are no restrictions on Fireworks for Premium APs. Standard Annual Passes won't be valid for Fireworks on the 5th Nov. ^DHa[/quote]
So, that's great then :|.

I'm hoping that they'll offer at least some kind of discount for standard AP holders (and I've tweeted them to enquire about this), but I'm not exactly holding my breath...
lozzyhickers

What year was Tom Baker as a talking pumpkin?
Pennywise

[quote=""damos1""]I fail to realise why Alton choose to charge for the mazes other than terror of the Towers.
[/quote]

Throughput. Especially when they had the Field. :)
gazag

electric towers was fantastic especially the ending but i very very very much enjoyed last years time travel sequence alot more because alot of the music i really enjoyed. especially as it was somthing magic when the lights dazzled across the lake as 'let me entertain you' started. such a great display.

but i do infact belive they will do better this year
PeteB

I'm keeping my mouth shut about any predictions for this years fireworks. Last year the they stole all my ideas that I posted on here and wont be making that same mistake again. If they want my ideas, they can hire me :P

I just really hope that this year they..... oh no wait...
themealgang

The fireworks at AT beat Disney last year in my books. Very nice to have them returning.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
PeteB

Who else is hoping for a story and some form of video presentation this year?

Some narrative at least I hope if no video.
AstroDan

I don't want money spent on those extras at the expense of fireworks.

Last year, Alton put nearly all their money into physical fireworks.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
MPDarby

Does anyone know how much AT are charging on park to buy firework tickets? Last year I brought mine during Scarefest a lot cheaper than online. I was going to buy them on Friday at the advertised 50% off price but when I went to book them they had already changed the offer to 40% off.

Thanks for your help guys. Can't wait for this!
Thanks for riding the Runaway Minetrain, we hope you enjoyed your trip. Choo! Choo!
AstroDan

40.80 on day with a little more on the Saturday.

PeteB

[quote=""AstroDan""]I don't want money spent on those extras at the expense of fireworks.

Last year, Alton put nearly all their money into physical fireworks.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk[/quote]

In terms of actual firework content Dan, it was a fairly average show, nothing special. Some of the displays at places like Catton Hall and the British Musical Firework Championships are the same size if not bigger than Alton's last year. Which never used to be the case.

I think it only looked good due to the lights and lasers, which were a tad over the top tbh. Alton's shows have always been a "multi media" show or the "son et lumiere" type. Loose this and it becomes just an average show, why should people travel all the way to Alton Towers for that?

Point is if they can't chuck a load of money at the pyro to make it bigger then they've got to use other elements to make up for it.
AstroDan

To me, last years Alton show was anything but average.

PeteB

I think Jubilee did a pretty good job but it looked like they were stretching out the budget a bit too much, most of the stuff consisted of cakes and candles which are quite cheap.

Anyways, we'll see what they come up with this year. Have heard a rumour that the show may be themed around Nemesis this year, or at least partly to do with Nemesis. Given the fact they've got no new ride this year and the recent Best Ride Ever campaign it could turn out to be true. Would be nice to see some sort of battle between the 5 rides.
lozzyhickers

Any idea what rides might be open until 9pm this year?

I hope there's some sort of story this year. I remember back in 2003 I think there were some skeleton holograms and fire canons, i'd love to see something extras like that back again!
thefatone

Presume it'll be the same as last year - in that every ride (apart from... flume?) open til 9 - however dark forest/cuckoo/mutiny/x sector are closed shortly before the fireworks and reopen slightly after them due to being the designated drop zone.
PeteB

Some interesting info I found about this years display, here:
http://press.altontowers.com/news-light ... ent--11234

"brand new laser show featuring a kaleidoscope of colours projected into the night sky"
cookiee_munster

id much rather go see something like this http://www.enchantedforest.org.uk/

EDIT - thats not to say that the firework displays are crap, ive actually never been to one. it just doesn't really do anything for me. what with the improvement to night time entertainment, the park should look beyond fireworks and approach something a lot less... noisy? lol especially what with they're oh so fantastic relationship with the locals.

when i saw some of the video's of the enchanted forest i was really blown away not just because of how subtle it was, but how magical it also looked, i think it could be a good direction for the park to go in if they has something like this instead. they've got woodland everywhere in the park and the surroundings
PeteB

[quote=""cookiee_munster""]id much rather go see something like this http://www.enchantedforest.org.uk/

EDIT - thats not to say that the firework displays are crap, ive actually never been to one. it just doesn't really do anything for me. what with the improvement to night time entertainment, the park should look beyond fireworks and approach something a lot less... noisy? lol especially what with they're oh so fantastic relationship with the locals.

when i saw some of the video's of the enchanted forest i was really blown away not just because of how subtle it was, but how magical it also looked, i think it could be a good direction for the park to go in if they has something like this instead. they've got woodland everywhere in the park and the surroundings[/quote]

Dude. If you've never been to an Alton Towers fireworks display, you've never lived.

Having been to both I can tell you that Enchanted Forest 3/10... AT Fireworks 10/10!

And thats not to say EF is crap, it's brillaint, just that AT Fireworks are on a whole different level. :D