Ultimate Fireworks 2011

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
e4kenndr

mikeys86 wrote:
Dean wrote:
dobby2743 wrote:What were the 3 songs used for the pre show entertainment? <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) -->
<!-- m -->http://youtu.be/wavpWRK6IX8<!-- m --> - We Speak No Americano - Yolanda Be Cool

<!-- m -->http://youtu.be/-qMj-j9BrBc<!-- m --> - Libella Swing - Parov Stelar

<!-- m -->http://youtu.be/No0wEyyGkeY<!-- m --> - To Get Down - Timo Mass

Then you have Dean's Mystery tune (the one used for the laser show at the start), which must be a track used by the fire eater company who came in to do the pre-show entertainment, as it can't be found.

For Anyone that is interested "Deans mystery tune" is:

Ganga Giri - Murrie Gubar Yugal (black fella white fella song)
An on spotify too...

Nice find Mikey! I tried loadsa stuff to find it, how did u locate it?
DannyNewbro

I love the fireworks!
muttlee

I wasn't able to get to the fireworks, but having watched the video it really looked like a great event. Does anyone know who did the design for it?

Great work with the video too!
Chris W

muttlee wrote: I wasn't able to get to the fireworks, but having watched the video it really looked like a great event. Does anyone know who did the design for it?

Great work with the video too!
I believe it was Jubilee Fireworks, same as 2010.
PeteB

Well, today I made a discovery and am not impressed to say the least.  It seems Towers cheated with the 2011 soundtrack, it has all been lifted from Mastermix ready made mashup downloads.  So not only was the soundtrack totally crap, they didn't even make it themselves!  :x

Click on play next to "Rock This Way Mastermix" and see if you recognise it lol!

http://www.mastermixdigital.com/downloa ... 99013.aspx
Chris W

Well I'd not even heard of this website before so knowing that Alton Towers didn't mix the music themselves hasn't changed my opinion at all.
It was unique to me first time I heard it, and probably the vast majority of people who attended the weekend felt the same.

I liked the soundtrack this year anyway :)
Jordan

I'm not sure I agree, Chris. I think there's a bit of an expectation that everything Towers does is original. Sure, they don't have to credit it, and it most likely doesn't affect many people's opinions of the event as a whole, but it's a bit disappointing that they chose to use off-the-shelf mixes of music for their send-off of the year.
NickT04

Blaze

So they got someone to mix the music for them/payed someone to use their mix? Struggling to see an issue with that.

I'll let you in on another secret. They didn't build the fireworks themselves either. :shock:
djtruefitt

To be fair if they were going to use any music off that website they should have used the "'In The Hall Of The Mountain King' (Steve Andrews Nightmare Remix)", near the bottom of the site!
PeteB

Blaze wrote: So they got someone to mix the music for them/payed someone to use their mix? Struggling to see an issue with that.

I'll let you in on another secret. They didn't build the fireworks themselves either. :shock:
They didn't get anyone to do it. It was all taken from mix cds no different from your standard "Now 85million" pop albums that you find on the shelves of HMV.

The issue is the lack of creativity and efforts made by Towers.  2010 was heavily criticized because they didnt use a story, video or any special effects, but at least the sound track was put together by themselves.  It was something bespoke for Th13teen and their 30th Birthday Celebration.  The 2011 show was an absolute assault on the eyes and ears (many people commented on that), and now we've just found out they couldn't even be arsed to put it together themselves.  I mean literally, what was the point of that show?

Jubilee is a fantastic firework company, but their talents are wasted on the rubbish gigs Alton are giving them.

Point being, the shows and general entertainment at Alton Towers is shocking! The quality we get nowadays would have been unthinkable back in the Tussauds era.
Last edited by PeteB on Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Magrathea

PeteB wrote:
Blaze wrote: So they got someone to mix the music for them/payed someone to use their mix? Struggling to see an issue with that.

The 2011 show was an absolute assault on the eyes and ears (many people commented on that), and now we've just found out they couldn't even be arsed to put it together themselves.  I mean literally, what was the point of that show?
Seriously? Because you're the first person I've ever heard describe it as that, everyone else's response was almost unanimously positive :?

So Towers decided to use elements of a pre-made commercially available mix done by professionals as opposed to trying to do it themselves? I fail to see how this detracts in any way from the quality of the display; they're a theme park, not a music-mixing industry, and I don't see how using someone else's mix is any more shocking than the fact that the songs used weren't of Alton's original composition. The music selected provided a good mix of new and classic tunes, and was well-received by pretty much everyone there. No doubt you'd be complaining if they'd done a mix themselves and made a hash of it.

I'd understand if you were suggesting that it would've been cool for Alton to have music composed for the fireworks, but when it's a case of mixing popular music, why shouldn't they settle for the most professional option available? (Or are you suggesting that they hire someone to work for the park just to create audio mixes once a year?)
PeteB

Magrathea wrote:
PeteB wrote:

The 2011 show was an absolute assault on the eyes and ears (many people commented on that), and now we've just found out they couldn't even be arsed to put it together themselves.  I mean literally, what was the point of that show?
Seriously? Because you're the first person I've ever heard describe it as that, everyone else's response was almost unanimously positive :?

So Towers decided to use elements of a pre-made commercially available mix done by professionals as opposed to trying to do it themselves? I fail to see how this detracts in any way from the quality of the display; they're a theme park, not a music-mixing industry, and I don't see how using someone else's mix is any more shocking than the fact that the songs used weren't of Alton's original composition. The music selected provided a good mix of new and classic tunes, and was well-received by pretty much everyone there. No doubt you'd be complaining if they'd done a mix themselves and made a hash of it.

I'd understand if you were suggesting that it would've been cool for Alton to have music composed for the fireworks, but when it's a case of mixing popular music, why shouldn't they settle for the most professional option available? (Or are you suggesting that they hire someone to work for the park just to create audio mixes once a year?)
Just going by the people I was with and who I've spoken to since, as well as my own opinion.  Common iritation was that they couldnt hold a song for longer than 10 seconds.  At first I thought somebody from towers had discovered Ableton Live and gone wild with it, but it looks like even that was too much trouble.  Why create something yourself that is bespoke when you can just buy a cd thats available to everyone eh?

Even local council displays put together their own soundtracks, or they get the firework company to do it.

I'm not saying they should compose music, no, but the basic plot, theme, and song editing/mixing of these shows used to be put together by Tussauds Studios.

Further, at least 2010 vaugely had a theme.  Tell me, what was the theme of this show?
Magrathea

PeteB wrote: Further, at least 2010 vaugely had a theme.  Tell me, what was the theme of this show?
It didn't have one, and while perhaps a negative point for some, that was fine. It made no attempt to have one. It was a frenetic and spectacular musically-driven romp which I felt segued really well throughout and was just a hell of a lot of good fun, and ultimately more in the interests and expectations of the general public than something plot-driven :).
PeteB

Magrathea wrote: and ultimately more in the interests and expectations of the general public than something plot-driven :).
I'm not going to add any further to this because I dont want to get into an arguement, but I will end this on one point:- It says a lot about how disappointing your show was when you have to ask the crowd to cheer!  ;)
James

I had a conversation with my parents about the fireworks at Alton Towers. We all came to an agreement that the fireworks lack that extra little bit of magic they used to have. We were particularly talking about the lack of an actual theme/story line and lack of any SFX (flames, fountains, screens... where did these beautiful features go?).

The thing that made the fireworks at Alton Towers special was having an actual story, one solely based around Alton Towers, I'm going to jump out and pick 2005s Dr Pop Rocket here (and the nice link with Rita), it just shows this is not a fireworks show, this is a form of entertainment, it IS the Alton Towers experience. The true essence of the magic and beauty is still held within the resort, yet they choose not to show it all it's magnificence.
PeteB

James wrote: I had a conversation with my parents about the fireworks at Alton Towers. We all came to an agreement that the fireworks lack that extra little bit of magic they used to have. We were particularly talking about the lack of an actual theme/story line and lack of any SFX (flames, fountains, screens... where did these beautiful features go?).

The thing that made the fireworks at Alton Towers special was having an actual story, one solely based around Alton Towers, I'm going to jump out and pick 2005s Dr Pop Rocket here (and the nice link with Rita), it just shows this is not a fireworks show, this is a form of entertainment, it IS the Alton Towers experience. The true essence of the magic and beauty is still held within the resort, yet they choose not to show it all it's magnificence.
Very true James, and I agree!  The point I was trying to make though was that even if they cant do all those special effects anymore, and the video and story - for whatever reason - lets say its budget cuts/increased costs, or not practical due to the 3 shows limit, then at least they should still theme it.  2010 didnt have any of those things but it was still themed around Th13teen, then the whole 3 decades of Alton Towers thing. 

It just goes to show that year after year creativity is being washed away with all of their entertainment.

2011 had no theme, and Alton Towers is supposed to be a "Theme" park! So give me a show with a theme please!  :P
Last edited by PeteB on Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.