Parc Asterix

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Johno

That is frigging fast.
daveclarkedaveclarke

That looks bloody good. Shame its not in England
AstroDan

The first 2/3 of the ride look superb, as does the theme work.

Looking forward to riding in summer.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk
RustyRider

That's some incredibly dense misting right there, take note oblivion! :P. That helix looks mighty intense too, very tight and taken at some speed too.

How far from Paris is parc asterix? Shouldn't be too hard to get to hopefully, I can see a trip sometime this year or next on the cards!
Ladies and Gentlemen, our first SuperHero TTFer :D - Magrathea.
Bote

I'm not sure on distance, but Parc Asterix have various shuttles in and around Paris to the park. That's what we're using on our trip. I think one goes from Charles De Gaul and one from the Eiffel Tower. There may be more though. Best thing to do would be check their website :)
Sazzle

Currently at Parc Astèrix and MY GOD, Oz'Iris is fantastic!!

I can only really compare it to Montu in Florida - intense, fast, and am absolute DEVIL on the back row!!

Front row is excellent, with very close near-misses on that amazing dive in front of the station by the waterfalls.

The zeroG is absolutely bizarre - its "the wrong way"!! I've never come across an invert with the inversion rolling to the right!

Theming in the area is brilliant, the station building and queue is wonderfully brightly coloured, but the ride area (behind the fences) is currently very bare.

Not a Nemesis beater, but it gives Mamba and Montu a run for their money. VERY smooth, floaty and enjoyable - track and train better than Black Mamba.

No idea how but the park is pretty dead today and Ozzy is walk on :D loving it :D.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
Benzin

Bote wrote: I'm not sure on distance, but Parc Asterix have various shuttles in and around Paris to the park. That's what we're using on our trip. I think one goes from Charles De Gaul and one from the Eiffel Tower. There may be more though. Best thing to do would be check their website :)
Shuttle goes from the Louvre, but is only one a day so isn't the best option unless you're in central Paris, no idea how easy it is to get to Charles de Gaulle from there...

Good to know it's fab, 2012 B&M <3
SpinballEdders

We now 5 world class B&M inverts in Europe, It's amazing! I really wanna visit Asterix now! :D
AstroDan

Sounds great. Really can't wait till August for a hot day!

DiogoJ42

I hope you are not counting Inferno as "world class"? Nemesis, Black Mamba, Monster, Oz'iris....?
jordanc44

DiogoJ42 wrote: I hope you are not counting Inferno as "world class"? Nemesis, Black Mamba, Monster, Oz'iris....?
Katun! :D
2012- Alton Towers - 3 | Thorpe Park - 1 | Legoland - 1 | Chessington World of Adventures - 0 |
DiogoJ42

D'oh, of course! :lol:
SpinballEdders

DiogoJ42 wrote: I hope you are not counting Inferno as "world class"? Nemesis, Black Mamba, Monster, Oz'iris....?
1.This
2.Nemmy
3.Black Mamba
4.Batman
5.Katun
Benzin

Monster is world class?
DiogoJ42

So I've heard..... in terms of intensity at any rate.
AstroDan

Monster is bloody awesome.

Anyhow, just been to check Asterix's ticket prices. Rip off or what! Even the advance price is £33!!!!

Joelio

To say i'm jealous Sazzle would be an understatement, glad its a great ride though :D
Dar

Seriously excited for August now! Been after Asterix for a while and now I have a decent enough excuse to go!
Dormiens-Dave

So back from Europe and i thought i would pontificate on Europe's latest B&M Inverter...

Well obviously going on Easter Sunday on opening weekend we didn't really expect to get many goes on this beast, how wrong could we be. The park was dead and that left us with lots of opportunity to ride this coaster.

The theming in the area is really nice with the station and the pool in-front of it being noticeable features. The entrance arch is lovely and the cartoon Egyption theme really works quite well. The outdoor queue-line isn't dramatically themed but as you queue underneath this beast i am sure guests will be kept well entertained and there was a lot of planting that clearly needs time to grow. The inside queue-line is absolutely stunning with lots to see, its not quite as dynamic as Woodans indoor queue-line (no projection mapping or moving elements) but there are a few cute comic references (Hannibal Lecture Sarcophagus for one). 

The inside of the station building is beautiful with a comic representation of your imminent journey using cartoon pictograms covering the inside wall, this also tells you the story of the ride quite well (seems we are getting hypnotized by Osiris and off on a flight). If any part of the theming lets the ride down its the all too obvious un-themed area behind the station which is a little sad to see but very few will notice.

The Ride

So you take your seats and off we go to some Egyptian style dispatch music and a stone tablet with an embedded strobe light appears on either side of the exiting train (that hypnosis taking effect). The lift hill climb is pleasant with the park to your left and the motorway to your right then you reach the top.

The first drop is mad on this inverter, unlike other inverts you dive straight down and to the left swooping towards the ground before flying through some rocks and into the immelmen, without a pause you then swoop around to the right and take the vertical loop. This is as impressive as you expect an inverted loop to be but then theres a surprise.... The track straightens out (though still at an incline) for a second for a trim brake then you are pulled back up into the 2nd immelmen, this weird solution to installing (a non functioning) trim gives a unique pop of airtime and a rather fun experience to the ride.

Out of the 2nd immelmen and we swoop around and down under the pool where water cascades down the huge stone steps and then back up ready for the weirdest Wing Over roll ever, its the first i know of to swing over left instead of right and this element seems to have perfected the 0G as you have a good couple of seconds of floaty freedom before crashing down into the turn for the final Wing Over (traditionally turning over right) where you get a great foot chopper over the station. We then take a few swoops and a helix which unlike Black Mamba (which i found incredibly over-rated) really keeps up some pace and force before hitting the brakes at the end.

The Front

The front is well paced and there are a few good foot choppers though it doesn't have enough foot choppers to make the front row astounding (like Mamba and Nemesis). The few close encounters you do get though are well done and very very fun.

The Back

Simply WOW, the back is just a beast to ride, it knocks Mamba clean out of the water in terms of track and train and is simply un-stoppable force and fun.

Conclusion

Track and train this ride is a Mamba beater and not far off Nemesis, if it had more interaction with its surroundings it would easily beat Mamba and be as close to Nemmie as damn it.

Basically if you can get to Asterix to ride this thing get there!!!

9/10
darkside

Anyhow, just been to check Asterix's ticket prices. Rip off or what!
44€ isn't that bad really. I mean, in comparison, thats like £30 on the gate price. Obviously we British wont pay that, it would be more like £41.