Shrek & General attraction discussion for 2011?

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
El Patricko

Sounds like merlin are beginning the process of "pimping out" Alton towers if this goes ahead.

Although as much as i detest saying this it is called "storybook land" and is an easy transition into a larger area including spinball, called "attractions, willing to do anything for £10,000 a season" land :)

just for the record, as much as i am guilty of this i dont like all these abbreviations, i feel they needlessly alienate anybody who doesn't follow this forum with their nose to the page :^o

I see your post "V" i see your point also, and would like to illuminate the possibility that the theming is for a movie character type event in the coming season, now my reasons.

Sonic spinball. (popular due to the dreaded nintendo WII)

Mutiny bay. (Royalty free captian jack was spotted leering about during construction of Battle Galleons)

Storybook land. (Various characters could be used including shrek)

Cloud cuckoo land. (alice in wonderland)

As you have probably deducted from the characters featured, this event would work well with childrens characters, but you could feature.

Forbidden valley. (Alien/predator)

X sector. (gordan freeman* or storm troopers)

Dark forest. (the ring girl, or less emotionally damaging, somekind of annoying witch)

Nobody who hadn't played half life would get the reference*
"If Alton Towers get a shrek 4d attraction next year i, El Patricko will eat a steak garnished with pond weed"

Officially, "the first man out on the town in shorts 2011"
Wes

Bored & Imagined this.

Also, I thought Squirrel Nutty could be renamed 'Donkeys Adventure' or something.
Dormiens-Dave

Its unlikely to be old theme from the hotel events as its an unpainted fibreglass model, it is HUGE and has the words shreck written in marker on the back.

Its likely to be painted once in situ i imagine so its probaly in storage in the towers which frankly is one huge storage facility at the mo.

Its impressive in size, bit silly of towers to leave the door open... unless they wanted the leak!
mezza

Couldn't be anything to do with the fireworks? No?
EXIT THROUGH THE SHIPPING CONTAINER
Coke

[quote=""Towers Nerd""]
Thursday 8th January 2009 -
To celebrate the recent release of Madagascar Escape 2 Africa, the Alton Towers Resort is hosting three special weekends throughout January and February that will allow the whole family to meet Alex the Lion along with other characters from popular Dreamworks films.

Starting off with a character breakfast featuring Alex the Lion & Skipper the Penguin from Madagascar, Po the Panda from Kung-Fu Panda & Shrek, the event continues with a treasure hunt. Special screenings of the original Madagascar, Kung-Fu Panda & Shrek will be held to entertain the whole family, plus other activites such as face painting and T-Shirt making will be available. The event climaxes with a disco party in the Cariba Creek Waterpark and of course there is still all the usual facilities available like Extraordinary Golf.

The special Dreamworks events are running on Saturday 24th & 31st January and 7th February, prices are from £159 per room per night, which includes entry to the waterpark and Extraordinary Golf, based on a family of four sharing on a B&B basis, or you can make it a two night stay by adding a friday or sunday night to the booking for an extra £40.

To book please visit the Alton Towers website or call 0871 222 9853.[/quote]

Could it not be left over from this OR could we still have theming ready from this?

Are you thirsty?
SheikhSam

Pfft..

Nevermind Shrek, bring back the wraiths!
:P
Maelstrom

Having just been on shrek 4D in Orlando on Monday I can say this is a very good addition to the park. It's one of the best 4d shows out there with IMO only one of the Disney ones and terminator being better. Also the fact that this is a universal studios ride shows it's a top quality attraction and generates big queues in the Orlando park and gets a great reaction from guests. It's will easily the best 4d show in the uk and although not a unique film it will still cost a fair bit with the need for a theatre to be built with all the effects and cost to use the film will be much higher than any other 4d film available.
haydn!

It's certainly an interesting idea, and if a Shrek Land was to be created, it would bring together Adventure Land and Story Book Land quite well as the existing Storybook theme could easily be modified to fit with the Fairytale style of Shrek.

I'm also guessing the park wouldn't need planning permission to replace the Ice Tent with a solid structure? This could easily be quickly constructed as it would have to be no different to the Sharkbait Reef building which literally went up practically overnight.

My only concern is this could be a quick, desperate response to Nickelodeon Land at Blackpool as I'm certain Morwenna said earlier in the year they weren't interested in building attractions based solely on IP anymore unless they offered something really special.

Of course, there is a small chance Merlin Studios could have been contracted to do some work for the new Universal Park in Singapore which will feature a Shrek Land.

Are we still on for a Beastie Replacement too?
Nightfall

?V? and anyone else that's doubting it this new Shrek attraction is going to happen. As you might guess by reading some of the post above there are several members on here that have know for quite a while and were just waiting for onsite evidence before making the announcement.

Initially I didn't like this idea because the IP is quite a dominating one. But as the attractions seems destined for Storybook Land it will probably fit in quite well and add nicely to an areas with only 1 ride. It would have been good if they had a more original 4D film (If it had to be an IP Doctor Who or Wallace & Gromit would have been my suggestions :P ) but because it’s already used global they know it will be successful and cheaper than making a new film.
I was hoping for a nice family flat of the type the park haven’t added in such a long time but this has the added bonus of being covered during are typical bad weather.
[align=center]Image[/align]
Pennywise

To be honest I think this will be a fantastic addition to the park. Shrek 4D is a brilliant 4D show and Alton does need more indoor rides, it should give a new lease of life to Storybook land without the need to replace any existing attractions.

I'm still hoping that we see something else as well as this, though. :)

Also, based on the line-up for February half-term this year, Shrek 4D will be in Old McDonald's Farmyard or Storybook Land (backing up the Ice Show tent rumour) as they're the only areas (bar Dark Forest) to be completely closed to February. :)
Last edited by Pennywise on Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seanyboyuk

If they had any sense it should go in Mutiny Bay in the old 3d cinema tent.

It would be way out of place in xsector and a silly idea to place it there.

Its good to hear the park getting another big franchise to their list. It would make 2011
a big year for families.

I am hoping on a log flume replacement with a shrek theme. Shrek pirates anybody?
ReZourceman

What is a "fairy tail" ? :)
And.

[quote=""seanyboyuk""]If they had any sense it should go in Mutiny Bay in the old 3d cinema tent.[/quote]
No chance!

[quote=""seanyboyuk""]It would be way out of place in xsector and a silly idea to place it there.[/quote]
Again, not going to happen.

[quote=""seanyboyuk""]Its good to hear the park getting another big franchise to their list. It would make 2011
a big year for families. [/quote]
Yes. Big on families next year.

[quote=""seanyboyuk""]I am hoping on a log flume replacement with a shrek theme. Shrek pirates anybody?[/quote]
No chance!
fredward

I may be just not thinking straight so don't shoot me if i'm wrong!

hasn't sharkbait reef taken over the 3d cinema area?

Storybook land seems the most plausible to me, the area seems to best match the IP, they wouldn't put it in mutiny bay because they have just recently(ish) spent a lot of money theming the area, They'd be very reluctant to ruin the theme with such a clash.
NaturalBornVictim

Afternoon!

Been lurking around here for a while and finally feel I have something to contribute... (Being a distant Southener, I have only just returned from my annual Scarefest trip (Th13teen UBER RANT coming soon! WTF are those trims for!?! But I digress...)

While on Squirrel Nutty (gotta be done!) I saw some tell-tale 'suits' walking around behind a big blue tent behind SN carrying a clipboard with what looked like some brightly coloured cartoon characters on it, accompanied by lots of pointing. I have been a regular at the park since 4BN (Before Nemesis), but cannot recall what this tent was for, but I remember the Ice Show being around here somewhere, don't I?

I know this could mean anything, but it's a hint in the right direction, if nothing else!

Right, now I'm off to the Th13teen topic, which I have somehow managed to avoid ALL YEAR to let off some steam!

Take care,
Dodge
be realistic ]
haydn!

So at least we know where Wayne Rooney's heading now after he leaves United.
Voke

I suppose what you saw were Surveyors/planners just looking at the the area for future devolpments, hopefully it's fuel for the Shrek Rumour as the Ice-tent seems the most likely place for this to be located.
buffaloBen

I really hope its not in the ice tent. Or any tent for that matter if this attraction rumor is true.

Alton should never use tents. EVER!
Reasons:
1. They look terrible
2. They are not sustainable for as long as buildings should be
3. The risk of damage is a lot higher: e.g leaks, wind ect.
4. Cannot be sound proof
5. We don't have conformation of what attraction it will be

Permeant structures should always be used for indoor attractions especially if its a 4d attraction.

We don't even know it will be a 4d attraction. It could be a family dark ride. (similar to CATCF)(Hopefully better than CATCF though).
We might not get anything at all to do with Shrek. Just because of one piece of theming. Would like to see a photo of what all the fuss is about.

It would be nice to have a 4D attraction based on Shrek but i hope we get something else as well.

Go ahead with the 4D Shrek attraction or any other attraction based on Shrek.

But danm Alton, Forget the tents! (i know buildings require better planning but tents are no good solution)
Rowe

There IS the possibility that the ice tent will be taken down and be totally replaced by a new building that caters completely to the 4D's means. I doubt Merlin would want shabbiness taking over what could be a wonderful star attraction for children, and as the mods/admins who have spoken in this topic too, Merlin are adamant on having Shrek and co in the supposed 4D cinema.

Let's just wait until the idea becomes confirmed, construction and theming is sited etc, as well as holding the pre-judgement. Dreamworks are very popular and this will create them a lot more revenue if they're reaching out to Merlin for further distribution of Shrek, remember that the park is aiming for the family market now so impact upon children is a top priority.
[Archive]

It could be a family dark ride. (similar to CATCF)
That would mean building a new dark ride. Now that is something I would love to see, but could cost the same as a brand new rollercoaster. The park certainly are not going to spend that much straight after opening Thirteen. We would have definitely seen construction for that by now. Also, a dark ride is too much of a big project to be given a cop-out Shrek theme. I think it will most likely be something fairly minimal, but a fairly good use of old space nonetheless.

Also, perhaps you have got the wrong idea... This old ice rink "tent" is actually far more than a tent. I only went in it once, but it is vast - much bigger than I was expecting and much of a permanent structure. Strange to think how it has totally fallen from any sort of position in the park! Hardly anybody seems to know that it is there anymore! I had certainly forgotten all about it.