Shrek & General attraction discussion for 2011?

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
crofty2009

I quite agree with preserving historic character, however there are well proven facts that if these trees are left, the character of the area actually degrades because many of the trees in the park are actually at the limit of their age and in less than 10 years many of them will have to be torn down because they are dangerous.

Without some replacements the character of the grounds will be destroyed, and it would take decades to even begin to recapture some of the beauty of the grounds.
Last edited by crofty2009 on Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dormiens-Dave

Thats is a really good point and i do think the planners are a little to restricting but im not sure they will allow for the border of trees behind the black hole tent to be destroyed
crofty2009

[quote=""Dormiens-Dave""]Thats is a really good point and i do think the planners are a little to restricting but im not sure they will allow for the border of trees behind the black hole tent to be destroyed[/quote]
It doesn't matter about what they will allow, if the trees are ready to die they will come down by themselves. i know a thing or two about the subject because i have been lectured at some length by my family who are horticulturists, and trust me, when a tree want's to come down it's coming down. securing a tree only works as long as the wood will support the chains, and it won't do that when it's rotten.
andyface

Thought I would stick up for planners a bit, since I am studying to become one!
From what I understand, trees aren't sacrosanct - obviously if they're dying, preservation orders can be overturned. It's like a conservation area, where there is a presumption against change or development but that isn't to say no development can be done at all.
Dormiens-Dave

Its a bit of a duff point really as i doubt the trees in question are near to dying and the towers have a team of people to keep check on the trees.
Bote

Pour some deisel around the roots of the trees; Leave for a bit; Hey presto, the trees come down :P
crofty2009

[quote=""Dormiens-Dave""]Its a bit of a duff point really as i doubt the trees in question are near to dying and the towers have a team of people to keep check on the trees.[/quote]
have you actually seen the damage to the trees next to the sky ride in cloud cuckoo land
those trees are in a seriously bad way, the damage from the fire is clearly killing those trees, I would be surprised if those trees lasted 10 more years, it might seem a long time but in tree terms that's very short indeed.

And the main point of the argument so far, is that the trees in the park are reaching the end of their natural life span, and we were wondering what the planners would allow to prevent the destruction of the beautiful gardens through the loss of so many trees.
James

Have you seen how big Alton is though? There are god knows how many protected trees in Alton.

If a tree dies then it dies, fair point. I doubt the planners go "oh, we won't allow that tree to die", they will expect trees to die. The Gardens won't suddenly die and become nothing, trees die, Alton plant new ones. Not all the trees do synchronised dying, they all die over time, over 100s of years probably(just a guess, I'm no tree expert).

No doubt Merlin/Alton have got a long term plan in place to keep the beauty of the gardens and park and ensure that the park will always keep it's beauty.

When Alton wish to build an attraction on an area with trees, they have certain requirements to come to. They can't simply destroy a load of trees, this comes sown to the planners decision. With rides such as Thirteen only so many trees were destroyed, but Alton also implemented supports for the ride that would't affect the rest of the trees that are in that area.
crofty2009

it's true natural trees don't die together but the towers gardens were landscaped around the same time, this is when most of the trees were planted and as a direct result they will all die within a relatively short period of one another.
my family are somewhat experts on the subject however i will say they definitely don't know all, but most trees have a similar life span, so that's the big issue in my opinion.
Dormiens-Dave

Yes i have seen said trees in CCL but seen as that is a fair distance from the blackhole tent which was the topic of conversation i would say they are not that relevant. If you want to discuss trees start a topic on the subject. But i will say both the planners and the towers know exactly what the health if each tree is like and have plans in place.

They have removed trees in the past including two large trees from the protected gardens and if you want to see impressive dead trees stand in the thirteen queue and look in the direction of the valley, there is an impressivly dead tree just there
Bote

There are way too many variables for you just to say that all the trees were planted around the same time so they will all die around the same time though. Things like how much light and rainfall they recieve, and the condion of the ground, ect, will all effect how long a tree live for. To be fair, look around the site. How many of those trees would you guess were the original ones and haven't grown from the other ones reproducing new ones? Every treee whioch has come down in Alton over the years will have been replaced by at least one new one it's left behind, and then the ones AT will have put back to replace it. How do you think forests stay around when left untouched? Trees are constantly replacing themselves for when they've gone.
djtruefitt

Well I never through this topic would go from Shrek to general tree discussion!
AstroDan

As we have two threads going for 2011, a new thread for all 2011 related chat has been created here. Please use it.