Shrek & General attraction discussion for 2011?

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
McFlurry

[quote=""Crofty""]It doesn't necessarily have to open for March though? I'm Sure Th13rteen will continue to pull in Punters for the start of next season. :)[/quote]

That's what I was thinking too, however their is always great pressure for attractions to be ready for the start of the season by commerical partners to maximise marketing etc.
Jollylee11

All im wondering is when will they start, thorpe park has started same as legoland and blackpool.
McFlurry

What you need to remember though is that Thorpe Park and Pleasure Beach Blackpool are totally rebuilding areas, what's being suggested (as remember we don't know 100% yet) is simply a retheme. For example buildings would be reclad on the exterior etc.

This however envolves a lot less work, and can be done much quicker, so work could start even as late as early 2011 tbh, and it still could be ready in time.
SAW_gameover

UK Park News has today recieved confirmation from one of our Industry sources, that Shrek 4D is infact to be added to Alton Towers’ line up for 2011.

For weeks, rumours have been circulating regarding whether this is to be true or not, but we can now confirm these to be true. Whether or not a Shrek Land shall be constructed is still unkown, however, it is extremely likely.

We shall keep you posted as soon as we hear anything.
Last edited by SAW_gameover on Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.ukparknews.co.uk
UK Park News - Your Dedicated Theme Park Resource

McFlurry

[quote=""SAW_gameover""]A bit of shameless plugging, but hey...
UK Park News has today recieved confirmation from one of our Industry sources, that Shrek 4D is infact to be added to Alton Towers’ line up for 2011.

For weeks, rumours have been circulating regarding whether this is to be true or not, but we can now confirm these to be true. Whether or not a Shrek Land shall be constructed is still unkown, however, it is extremely likely.

We shall keep you posted as soon as we hear anything.
[/quote]

Shameless Plug indeed! :lol: Considering it's already information we already know. It was however really nice of Alton Towers Resort to issue you with a Press Release confirming the attraction. :roll:
SAW_gameover

Havent really kept up with this project... Has it actually been confirmed everywhere then?

Rob L

There is no confirmation from Alton Towers yet no, so as far as I'm concerned, however likely it may be and however reliable all the sources are, it has not been confirmed.

I will be very surprised now though if it doesn't happen.

:)

SAW_gameover

[quote=""Rob""]There is no confirmation from Alton Towers yet no, so as far as I'm concerned, however likely it may be and however reliable all the sources are, it has not been confirmed.

:)[/quote]

Ahh right... Cheers for clearing that up.

I'm almost certain it's going to go ahead... doubt our source would lie to us. However, I'm personally not liking the idea of a Shrek themed land. I've never liked Shrek, and to be honest, no matter how many other movies are released, the series is essentially dead. Surely Alton could have chosen something more 'current'?

McFlurry

[quote=""SAW_gameover""][quote=""Rob""]There is no confirmation from Alton Towers yet no, so as far as I'm concerned, however likely it may be and however reliable all the sources are, it has not been confirmed.

[/quote]

Your Welcome! Now go forth and update your news article accordingly! :P
Voke

[quote=""Jollylee11""]All im wondering is when will they start, thorpe park has started same as legoland and blackpool.[/quote]

They will most likely start at the end of the season, it's only 5 days away :'(

I don't know if anyones bought this up, but won't Old Macdonald's Farmyard/Storybook Land be open for Christmas? Surely this will just cause interuptions and end up making the area a little un-tidy? They can't start construction this late?
seanyboyuk

Sonic spinball needs to be made totally seperate from this area i think as it would clash too much. Get tree planting At and put a nice new sega themed arcade and sonic shop to make it feel its own little area
James

[quote=""Voke""][quote=""Jollylee11""]All im wondering is when will they start, thorpe park has started same as legoland and blackpool.[/quote]

They will most likely start at the end of the season, it's only 5 days away :'(

I don't know if anyones bought this up, but won't Old Macdonald's Farmyard/Storybook Land be open for Christmas? Surely this will just cause interuptions and end up making the area a little un-tidy? They can't start construction this late?[/quote]

Those areas are open over winter. I think they could start construction late. This is how I see it:
- Over the winter season: 4D cinema construction starts, removal of tent(or whatever they've got planned), since the tent is in no use at all Alton have plenty of time to build/theme what will be the main attraction.
- Winter season: Construction of main theming in Merlin Studios, and building facades.
- January/February 2011: Areas no longer in use, all theming created in the studios put into area(I can only guess that it would only take a few weeks to get the theming up). Areas finished off and ready for a March 2011 opening.

This will just be a re theme, not a construction. Th13teen was different as a whole new building and coaster was built, and the site had to be handed over to Alton when it was no longer a construction site. Storybook Land/Old MacDonald's Farmyard will just be a re theme and no new building will be built, unless the tent is coming down of course.

I can't imagine much theming being put into the areas, it'll just be the Bookworm replaced with a Shrek character, a few new signs and newly painted buildings.
CoasterCrazyChris

Anyone know what they will make of the Squirrel Nutty building?

:)
NickT04

As far as I'm concerned Shrek can stay Far Far Away.
El Patricko

Still got my heels stuck in about this one, i have my reasons why it is unlikely to happen =P~

If it were the case then i could always sneak in to Alton towers at night with my torque spanner and relocate spinball to Katanga Canyon :wink:

EDIT:(god i hope i dont get burned for suggesting the wrong type of spanner :P )
"If Alton Towers get a shrek 4d attraction next year i, El Patricko will eat a steak garnished with pond weed"

Officially, "the first man out on the town in shorts 2011"
Waffleman

I'm sorry if this has already been posted but I don't have enough time to read through the whole thing.

At Scarefest I saw a man on the tent in Storybook Land taking down the cables which hold it in place, he was moving around the top of the tent taking down the cables and collecting them, take it any way you want but I think the tent is coming down next year.

Looking at the old entrance tot he Ice Arena as well, the way it is and colour of it (green, obviously) they could just put a "Shrek 4D" sign up and it would look like it had always been there. I hope they don't go over the top and change the whole area, the Bookworm is a classic Alton Towers character!
Stern John

I agree, I really can't see them retheming the entire area as it already lends itself to Shrek anyway. I hope they leave my Squirrel Nutty alone!
Dormiens-Dave

[quote=""SAW_gameover""][quote=""Rob""]There is no confirmation from Alton Towers yet no, so as far as I'm concerned, however likely it may be and however reliable all the sources are, it has not been confirmed.

I'm almost certain it's going to go ahead... doubt our source would lie to us. However, I'm personally not liking the idea of a Shrek themed land. I've never liked Shrek, and to be honest, no matter how many other movies are released, the series is essentially dead. Surely Alton could have chosen something more 'current'?[/quote]

Assuming this isnt the same source who told you guys nemesis was leaving next season :-)

though there are a number of other reliable sources who are all saying shrek for next year so it looks likely
oldgitBEN

spoke with Alton Towers today and asked if the Farmyard would still be open during our winter visit, they said it would but with "possible, minimal construction in near areas" but assured it would not impact upon our visit.

So Im guessing they mean the tent, as last year we couldnt get that far, but could see Sonic being painted. Id imagine that construction in the Farmyard would ruin their whole Santa visit concept so expect nothing in December when I visit.

I hope the farmyard doesnt go all 'shrek' its such a lovely unique area Id be so sad to see it go.

Also I will get pictures when Im there as per last year
Themeparksandy1981

If it is gonna be 4D Do you think they will have the same seating design as you get on Shrek 4D at Universal Studios?