February Half Term & Pre-season 2011

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Adam

No, Charlie was not open. And Twirling Toadstools is back open now.
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."
siralgenon

[quote=""rachierach""]Went today and the Waterpark was just insane! Queue's up to Flambo's to get in, 15 mins for a changing cubical, then had to wait at Quenches as the park was at it's full capacity, guests were queueing for the Lazy River as you were only aloud in 15min time slots, Foamburst Master Blaster queued at least 50mins from top to bottom.

I have never seen it like that and I recommend you wait to have your tropical fix until March :!: :D

What time were you in the waterpark, we're staying Thursday in Splash landings and have theme park and water park tickets for Thurs and Fri, would we be better off doing waterpark before lunch each day, then theme park then back to waterpark till close. It was busy last year at Feb half term but sounds worse this year![/quote]

From what I saw it was busy all day but yes, Id do the Waterpark first thing (get down there 15mins before it opens) and then do the Themepark in the afternoon you'll only be queueing for Air and Sonic Spinball.

Hope this helps :D
Clolossus

Hey anybody know how hideous the queues in the theme park are going to be? i want to prepare myself as there aren't fastracks are there?
Nemesis will beat them all!

[img]http]
thefatone

Reason there isn't fastrack is because the queues aren't "hideous" ;)
siralgenon

The Entrance Plaza may look busy but when your inside the park it's nearly deserted, you'll only queue max 35 Air and 60 Sonic Spinball. :D

Has anyone noticed that Twirling Toadstool isn't actually on the Feb Half term map or in the listing :?
Rob L

[quote=""siralgenon""]Has anyone noticed that Twirling Toadstool isn't actually on the Feb Half term map or in the listing :?[/quote]
I believe this is because they did not know if or when it would be ready to open, so they left off the list and had it shaded on the map so people did not think it was open when it was closed.

:)

Pennywise

Quick re-cap from my trip today:-
Twirling Toadstool & Hex are now open. Charlie is now closed.
The speaker in Hex's vault has still not been fixed.
The 'hand' in Duel seemed to be working without any issues.
The park was surprisingly busy, Sonic Spinball reached 60 minutes, Air 45 and RMT 30.

:)
John

Strange, that sounds far busier than it was at the weekend when queues were about half that
lucky13

Monday Q times were great the biggest Q was 30 minutes an this was for spinball but we were lucky as every time we went for a ride we just walked straight on. Must say all of the effects were working on Charlie on monday even scents (choclate) were working. The hand in Duel was twitching but my gun was broke but cant complain though. I think the best part of the day was going on nemisis front row and going threw the cave pumped with smoke.
Thats how we roll SLIDERS
Coke

[quote=""John""]Strange, that sounds far busier than it was at the weekend when queues were about half that[/quote]

It always gets busier towards the end of every school holiday. In most cases it seems to be an on the day or a few days in advance idea, and people tend not to think about going anywhere until a few days in to the holiday.

Are you thirsty?
James6

I think those queue's make the park sound busier than it was, Nemesis and Oblivion were 5 all day, Air did reach 45 but was 25 mostly, Runaway was at 10 throughout the day, never saw it at 30 if I'm honest. And then Spinball did reach 60, but in the rain, no surprises there, the actual queue itself wasn't even back to the entrance with no extensions open.

Will post a TR in a minute :)
If you go down to the Towers today, you\'d better ride Th13teen. :P
JoshM

I'm surprised at the queue times, but it's nice too see Charlie finally running all the effects unlike the weekend. Oh, and the last I heard Twirling Toadstool is back, but I have no idea of how much this is true.
Pennywise

[quote=""James6""]I think those queue's make the park sound busier than it was, Nemesis and Oblivion were 5 all day, Air did reach 45 but was 25 mostly, Runaway was at 10 throughout the day, never saw it at 30 if I'm honest. And then Spinball did reach 60, but in the rain, no surprises there, the actual queue itself wasn't even back to the entrance with no extensions open.

Will post a TR in a minute :)[/quote]

RMT was at no point advertised as having a 30 minute queue, however, I queued 30 minutes for it (back to the entrance). :) I did, by the way, state that these were the maximum queue times during the day, and certainly did not suggest otherwise. :)

[quote=""JohnM""]I'm surprised at the queue times, but it's nice too see Charlie finally running all the effects unlike the weekend. Oh, and the last I heard Twirling Toadstool is back, but I have no idea of how much this is true.[/quote]

Charlie is now closed, as stated in my previous post.
James6

^ Ahh sorry Dan, may have mis-read. They didn't seem to update the Runaway queue at any point did they? It was at least 10 all day but stayed at 0.

Was a good start to the season though, makes me realise how much extra Th13teen and even Rita (!) add to the park. Make the park feel smaller as less walking between rides. :)
If you go down to the Towers today, you\'d better ride Th13teen. :P
Pennywise

According to a friend who visited today Sonic Spinball was down.
Bote

Well today at Towers has seen the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Good - Hex has had its speakers replaced!
Bad - Every B&M on park has broke at some point :|
Ugly - Spinball was shut all day, and the lift mechanism in a hundred bits!
Mr P

[quote=""D4n""]According to a friend who visited today Sonic Spinball was down.[/quote]

I'll take him some flowers to cheer him up tomorrow :P

On a serious note, I hope it's running tomorrow, as I'll be on park. Without Spinball to [s:3nc35gmk]herd the masses together[/s:3nc35gmk] attract guests, I might end up queuing for rides!
SEALIFE

[quote=""Bote""]Well today at Towers has seen the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Good - Hex has had its speakers replaced!
Bad - Every B&M on park has broke at some point :|
Ugly - Spinball was shut all day, and the lift mechanism in a hundred bits![/quote]

That sounds rarther.. odd.. and if it is then I very much doubt it will be open tommorow but who am to say! haha but imo it sounds doubtfull!
Voke

If the lift mechanism isn't currently functioning, and Spinball's not operational for the rest of the week, surely we should get a statement from Alton themselves?
Bote

Well the hosts standing at the exit said there was a chance it may of re opened today. Whether it will tomorrow I don't know, but there were all manner of bits being taken off this morning, and some of maintenance staff checking all the cars. I wonder if something got damaged during testing :?