Future of the Dark Forest

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
Krazycoaster

I don't think we'll see much done to the Dark Forest for another couple of years unfortunately; it's got great potential.
ollboll9

I agree that nothing will happen with the Dark Forest for AGES. But if I could have my way I would give a complete re-theme to a Music clubland kind of thing. Just think where Thirteen goes into the Krypt (obvs it would get a new name) It could Just be an array of lights and mist and LOUD MUSIC!!!! The trains could all be fitted with speakers, just think of the euphoris people would get from that, I love going to funfairs and places like that just for the Music to Ride combos wich give you a unique buzz. Just like Rip Ride Rockit at universal, a guy in my school went and went on it about 20 times because of that 1 reason. But like I said above it would never happen, I wish to be proven wrong though :( :(
Poop. Always
DeadJack5

What about a drop tower ride?

Would it be possible?
Krazycoaster

Deadjack5 wrote: What about a drop tower ride?

Would it be possible?
Yes, if they dug down into the ground. But Alton already have drop tower experiences (Sub Terra & Th13teen), they don't need any more  ;)
Alex.D

A vortex (afterburner) style ride maybe? The only problem is where... :|
THE SWARM, oblivion,air,colossus.all epic.:D
^Made by Lewis97
Rob
Admin
Admin

alee289 wrote: A vortex (afterburner) style ride maybe? The only problem is where... :|
Blade pit :)
Marcus

ollboll9 wrote: I agree that nothing will happen with the Dark Forest for AGES. But if I could have my way I would give a complete re-theme to a Music clubland kind of thing. Just think where Thirteen goes into the Krypt (obvs it would get a new name) It could Just be an array of lights and mist and LOUD MUSIC!!!! The trains could all be fitted with speakers, just think of the euphoris people would get from that, I love going to funfairs and places like that just for the Music to Ride combos wich give you a unique buzz. Just like Rip Ride Rockit at universal, a guy in my school went and went on it about 20 times because of that 1 reason. But like I said above it would never happen, I wish to be proven wrong though :( :(
Don't worry, We have X for that.
americano

Hi.
I think dark forest seems to be the only area in the park that seems unfinished and very mish mash....maybe the best thing to do is to remove the rita ride and place newer rides inits place to create a permenant theme as rita still has that ug land feel.
A

americano wrote: Hi.
I think dark forest seems to be the only area in the park that seems unfinished and very mish mash....maybe the best thing to do is to remove the rita ride and place newer rides inits place to create a permenant theme as rita still has that ug land feel.
Completely agree, I think the least they should do is paint Rita green or black so that it fits in with the theme of the area.
I'm not completely useless, I can be used as a bad example :P
Owen

A wrote:
Completely agree, I think the least they should do is paint Rita green or black so that it fits in with the theme of the area.
Maybe they have some left ove from oblivion? :lol:
On a serious note I thought putting brown and green marks on it to make it look like its gotten rusty and old (like the logo)
A

Thrillmad wrote:
A wrote:
Maybe they have some left ove from oblivion? :lol:
On a serious note I thought putting brown and green marks on it to make it look like its gotten rusty and old (like the logo)
With some carefully applied brown paint, I can't see why that couldn't be achieved :)
I'm not completely useless, I can be used as a bad example :P
Maseyg123

I miss UgLand :'( Anywho I think a mine/ blasting area theme would work well, in fact that was an idea on the original mood boards!!

Here is the moodboard-

Credit to lewis97 for the amazing signature above :)

Hilarious Text Loading...
DrReeve

Maseyg123 wrote: I miss UgLand :'( Anywho I think a mine/ blasting area theme would work well, in fact that was an idea on the original mood boards!!

Here is the moodboard-

Big thunder Rita Mountain
Image credit to Lewis97
cookiee_munster

i think that mine blasting mood board should really be considered for updating katanga canyon. it could do with something like that.

Rita isn't going anywhere for a while. we can all armchair imagineer and expect the ride could be sold, dismantled and shipped off somewhere else, but it won't be.

As someone has already mentioned, the area seems a little unfinished. its hard to pump money into a project for improving a land and not really re theming it. how do you market that to get crowds in and to make you money? its a hard thing. for the land to receive a bit of TLC, then a new flat would have to be installed too. that way marketing can focus on that and give it enough attention for the park to make profit and not feel like money has been wasted.

Rita does need a bit more of a cohesive re theme to fit in more with the lands look/story. As great as it was for the ride to receive that slight re theme when thirteen opened (and even i was shocked they did that) it could do with a bit more.

i thought about the idea of the wraiths actually being monks who studied the law of science and supernatural. this kind of fascination was appreciated a lot in the victorian era resulting in odd inventions and parlour tricks for people to "put on a show" for dinner guests etc.

i thought about linking the monks and the earl together, making the monks the real inventors of the earls machine to rid him of his curse.

With Rita, i think the same could be applied. being some kind of machine the monks created, now left abandoned but still actually working. the area could be littered with bits of industrial machinery, intended to act as some kind of experiment the monks were working on.

the machine in the film "the prestige" that tesla builds for the main character springs to mind. imagine whizzing through something like that while riding Rita.Image
Ripsaw Raver

I think the DF has great potential, if it was more Tree-y some camouflage canopies would work wonders.
Thirteen needs to show a distinct backstory, Somthing along the lines of i duno you go into the crypt to escape the forest and wraiths, in the queue out side i think we need more wraith presence, even if it was some statues that blasted air and made noise, telsa room becomes a preshow- You enter upstairs and are told by the ghostly voice of the girl that the statues and the forest are alive and that the wraiths are a very real threat, however there is a way to escape, a descendant of the earl created a vehicle that uses the supernatural energys of the area as fuel, if you go now you may just escape out of the forest, her voice however has a slightly forboding tone, she starts whispering that "There coming" and not to Go Alone, she then shouts there here...TH13TEEN! Tesla goes off.She then tells you to proceed down the steps and board the vehicle. As you traverse the lift her voice is heard again, she tells you that your going the wrong way and that the forest awaits. You complete the outdoor section and on the second lift her voices comes back... she says rather evily, I would tell you to turn back... but its far too late now, There waiting for you... and you enter the crypt. the rest carries on as before. you get to the track switch and her voice is heard one more.Wait No! I Tried!! We hear branches snap behind and a scream, the girls intentions revealed trying to lure us to the wraiths
CHECK OUT MY FLICKR PHOTOSTREAM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/djthorpeimages/

Why is Nemesis Inferno really Inferior
MitchHawker Steel CoasterPoll 2012
Nemesis at #12
Nemesis Inferno at#123
Altontowersbarlow

I think that this area has  good theming within the rides. However I think The theming does not stretch further out from the rides, despite this I think it is a great area.
Last edited by Altontowersbarlow on Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

The problem is the lack of a forest in the area itself, instead it is actually fairly open. You only really enter the dark forest a bit when in Th13teen's queue, and then primarily when on the ride. Really there doesn't seem like much they could do, as adding some fake trees would probably be horrendous.

I think the theme faltered right from the off, when it would seem that they created the area's theme after creating Th13teen's theme and concept, and therefore it's come across as a bit forced, and Rita has suffered even more so with regards to theming and backstory, as a result of the tenuous link.
Clarky

A drop tower where when you get to the top of the tower, you rotate into the air flying position and drop facing the ground!
wrightiee

So basically Busch gardens new ride then
schmatt

The main reason I dislike Rita is because it is obviously just plonked ontop of the area with no attempt to even blend it in, therefore I have come up with some small additions to themeing to help tie it in with dark forest. Starting with a paint job and removal of any race car theming. The track will be painted entirely dark green with a wood pattern on the supports, new trains will be added with a horse and carriage theme. A new front car with two horses will be added and the last car will have a small canopy on the back. Large fake wheels will be along the side of the car. Imagine a sort of stretch limo combined with a horse and cart and that's the basic idea. The new cars will also have Lap bars.

The launch will have a new bridge that runs under it, not only to theme the ride but it will also cover the path to prevent any falling debris which I believe has happened before. At the end of the launch the building will rethemed with a second floor, which the ride smashes its way through. mist and sound effects as the car passes through would be nice.
The rest of the ride is basically the same as how it was before, as its so high up its hard to theme it, but as you can see from the image above. It looks like much more intertwined with the area then it currently does.
The current queue line will be completely cleared and will remain empty for the majority of the year but a tent could be added for a scarefest maze in October.
The new queue will start along side the current single rider and fasttrack entrance and will follow down the side of Thirteen and curve around that area (Note I haven't plotted the whole queue and it will need to be much larger than what is currently above) Sadly the only way it will fit here will be with a similar cattlepen as it currently is, but will be using land which serves no other purpose.

Rita will also receive a new  covered station with a similar theme to that of the smashed building at the end of the launch. The dino Derby building (unsure what it is now) will become the new rita shop and the ride will exit directly into it. The interior of the station will have a steampunk style lab theme and to match the rides theme will also have a steampunk vibe. possibly similar to this:
F1 and F2 are possible flat ride locations. Personally with the possible removal of Ripsaw I would like to see F1 a Zamperla Suspended Windshear and F2 a Zamperla Discovery.
Last edited by schmatt on Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.