Alton Towers: The Lost Back Stories

What rides and attractions do you miss? Share your memories of Alton Towers' extensive past here.
N3m3s1s

Very nice. We need a topic for alternate backstories (I would, but can't think where to put it).
Oblivion115

N3m3s1s wrote: Very nice. We need a topic for alternate backstories (I would, but can't think where to put it).
Hm...i guess it would be in the general or future section i think..

Thanks lewis97 for the signature!
Interesting fact: I play bass :P
mitchellcollier

I do like that story a lot, very well done !!
However what about when your in Air's station, Assume the position now fly. I kinda think Air's back story should just be about flying.

Also found this on Uk's Theme Park Guide -  "In an oasis beyond you'll find Air, where riders assume the flying position"
Owen

PeteB wrote: Th13teen
Does it have one or not?  No one seems to know for sure.  I've seen all the construction, all the marketing, and even been on it a few times but I still dont "get it" lol.  Wraiths?
I thought it was that a team of people discovered a lost crypt but found out the horror of which the wraiths and the dark forest hold?
Vanessa Feltz

During excavation for the new ride they happened upon a crypt that hadn't previously been noted as part of the towers, and as such they found terrible horrors within.
Previously Site Team!
"Thinks he knows it all"
PeteB

What terrible horrors would they be lol?

Lets face it - Th13teen was intended as a family ride and it should have had all the backstory and detail that we're seeing with The Smiler and The Sanctuary, but instead they get it the wrong way round. It would have worked so much better.

Th13teen / Dark Forest = clear as mud :(
Owen

Rowe wrote: Debunked Myth:

I've heard that Air was supposed to have a backstory which tied in with Nemesis and the contrasting Forbidden Valley. I believe it was along the lines of the MoD/the army decided to bring in their 'secret weapon', which was some sort of gun (or well, weapon among those lines) in order to capture and stop Nemesis in the area.

Of course that is what I had heard/can remember so the details are a bit iffy, and also of course, that backstory was never given to Air. Now... if only I could ask John Wardley about that 'backstory'...
That was blade
Astro61201

check coasterforces th13teen documentary it tells the backstory
cant wait!, cant wait!, cant wait! :uk:
Thorpe Towers 13

Not so much re haunted house but duel, the backstory I remember in the pre show was that the professor had gone missing and that zombies had appeared in the surrounding area. Possibly a relation to the Frankenstein story of re-animating the dead? Thats all I could remember from that though :S anyone else shed any light on it?
hands in the air and scream!
SamSimkin

Thorpe Towers 13 wrote: Not so much re haunted house but duel, the backstory I remember in the pre show was that the professor had gone missing and that zombies had appeared in the surrounding area. Possibly a relation to the Frankenstein story of re-animating the dead? Thats all I could remember from that though :S anyone else shed any light on it?
Once thought air was the best. Then Th13teen for some reason.

Now I have found the ultimate beast ... OBLIVION
PeteB

The backstory (or more like seed of a backstory) for Duel is fairly decent. It's a shame they didn't do a full conversion when putting guns into the Haunted House. If the whole attraction was centered around the idea of a missing mad scientist attempting to reanimate the dead, and you're on a hunt to find the clues (and shoot zombies on the way) then it wouldn't have been too bad at all. It's actually a concept I would like to see realised.

Unfortunately, without the full conversion it's just a mis match of ideas as it stands - a ghosty haunted house ride with a zombie shootout at the end.  :(
Thorpe Towers 13

Terra wrote: I completely disagree with Wardleys statement. I'll give you an example - Tower Of Terror. The story is detrimental to the ride, and without it would just be another drop-ride-in-a-building. Everyone is completely engrossed in the story and building in TOT - Sure, it would probably make sense without the video and stuff, and you could make your own story up about it, but others (like me) prefer to be told what the rides point is.

IDK if AT thinks it can't make a story because they don't have sufficient funds or whatever, or if they just can't be bothered with the effort. Either way, it really annoys me. All TH13TEEN needs is a decent story and it would be a great ride. For example - why are the wraiths there? What are they protecting? It just doesn't make sense.

The only ride I say that doesn't have a story and is effective (at AT resort) is Nemesis. But that's because the theming is completely immersive, which is more than what I can say for other rides in the park.
but nemesis does have a story  :?
The Smiler

Indeed it does. But it isn't really explained in the queue or particularly around the area.

Sub-Terra now gives us the origin story though, so that's a plus.
Smile even though your heart is breaking smile even though it's aching...
Thorpe Towers 13

Now I get you. It does indeed :)

I seem to remember hearing it was marketed with a backstory and apparantley there was a comic, here

http://gallery.towersalmanac.com/thumbn ... ?album=146

Also there was an extended advert:

sorry about the quality but this am guessing was released with nemesis opening.
Oblivion115

I'm going to bring this topic back to life as I love the back stories :D

So in saying that my challenge for you all is to make a backstory for Rita that makes sense! :D
Last edited by Oblivion115 on Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks lewis97 for the signature!
Interesting fact: I play bass :P
Thorpe Towers 13

You all read the book/ seen the film Christine by Stephen King? Well how I see it is is that Rita started off as a standard race car, on a race track which was built near the hidden tomb and that when the dark forest took over it possessed Rita. Now its a demon possessed car, and the riders must escape its clutches and survive the ride from hell around the track.
Oblivion guy

I've got a backstory for 13 not sure if it's to good but it's ok. It's just from the top my head.

Basically my story is about the young girl from the advert who is trapped and possessed by the ever growing dark forest. Meanwhile a new coaster is being constructed in Ug land but is abandoned halfway through construction because the trees are becoming to wild. The girl who is possessed is ordering the trees to form the rest of the coaster but instead of going back to the start the track is lead into the old crypt deep inside the forest. Builders think this is a Mirical and open the ride straight away. What they don't realise is the horrors within the crypt. The wraiths are guarding the crypt as anyone who goes near won't realise what's inside: the girl who is waiting for you.
Hope it's Ok
rallyrob

If Th13teen and Dark Forest have a back story where does Rita come in with this. I know that it was there before Dark Forest came around but it was Re-Themed to a dark theme and the voices were changed at the start of the ride. I was just wondering if there was a overhanging story for everyting.

On another topic for Th13teen you could tie in with Hex and say that the fallen branch has taken over the Dark Forest from the towers and the old woman is actually one of the 13 wraiths.

Just a thought
stealthsmiler

rita is supposed to be the escape from the dark forest, if i am correct?
Dr.Kelham

stealthsmiler wrote:rita is supposed to be the escape from the dark forest, if i am correct?
Your correct as the voice goes something along the lines of "heads back, hold on tight, you must escape - go go go" probably not entirely accurate was only last Sunday I was on the ride....
With thanks to lewis97 :)