The Mysterious Stuff of Alton Towers

What rides and attractions do you miss? Share your memories of Alton Towers' extensive past here.
tallest_of_pauls
Location: Holding A Vigil Where The Thunderlooper Used To Be!

I'm with you (aru) on this one. That's not the black hole at AT.

The BH was themed with Red/Grey walls (like the picture Vik posted at the bottom of page 2) and if I remember correctly the had a couple of windows in the Q line that had "space" theme behind them.
They also used to have a member of staff at the entrance to the building that let 20 or so people through at a time, therefore the internal Q didn't get too crowded and I guess pleased some H&S law.

Then it was refurbished and given the black/gold theme, it had a shorter internal Q and I guess that then didn't require a member of staff holding people back, therefore saved the extra salary!
DiogoJ42

Yeah, that's definitely BPBBPPBPBPPBBP's Spaz Invader. It was a pretty nice queue on a quiet day, but if you had to spend more than a few minutes in there, it could get 1) claustrophobic, and 2) disorientating on the staircase.
Titters

I never went on Space invaders - it doesn't sound like I missed out on much tbh :)

Anyway, can anyone tell me where the tunnel into the towers is from x-sector? I've never been able to find it and I want to see if it's as spooky as some people have said on this forum
[Archive]

It's around the back of the Towers, near to where the exit to Terror of the Towers was last year. It is a basically an old walkway that leads to X Sector's entrance from a wall opposite the Towers. I loved it the first time I saw it becuase hardly anybody knows about it!

I would not say it is spooky because it isn't dark and is rather short (not much of a tunnel exactly) but still very eerily tranquil compared to other areas of the park. I think it used to be used as the queueline for TOTT pre-2009.

TibBo

Yeah, this was definately used for the queline in 2008 for TOTT
aru

[quote=""tallest_of_pauls""]I'm with you (aru) on this one. That's not the black hole at AT.

The BH was themed with Red/Grey walls (like the picture Vik posted at the bottom of page 2) and if I remember correctly the had a couple of windows in the Q line that had "space" theme behind them.
They also used to have a member of staff at the entrance to the building that let 20 or so people through at a time, therefore the internal Q didn't get too crowded and I guess pleased some H&S law.

Then it was refurbished and given the black/gold theme, it had a shorter internal Q and I guess that then didn't require a member of staff holding people back, therefore saved the extra salary![/quote]

It was an odd ride. I always found it funny that the station didn't have kicker wheels, so they employed someone to push the cars round from the offload section. It was a poor mans BH, but then again BH was a very poor mans Space Mountain. You can tell they had a cheeky go at nicking the music and station themeing style - the German MTV on in the queue rather distracted from this though!
WillPS

German MTV2! I think towards the end (maybe the last season) they had actually turned them off though; a mother complained when an inappropriate video played.
Leighton123

Hmm..For mysterious stuff, I'd have to say the Towers themselves. Just walking around, seeing all the missing areas of roofs, floors and walls makes you wonder what it used to be like. And also, I saw a thread here a long time ago, about some toilets in the gardens? Disused ones with doors falling off and stuff like that. If anyone has some pics/thread link, that'd be great =D
Enjoy today, look forward to tomorrow, remember yesterday.
A5H

Got rid of the comment because Rowe the Shlaggg decided to take the michael because I got the wrong topic and thoughts! :P
Last edited by A5H on Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leighton123

Umm..Wrong topic there, A5H?
Enjoy today, look forward to tomorrow, remember yesterday.
Reggie 09

I think the old building for the balck hole its just creepy.
Squiggles

[quote=""NF2""]I know exactly the route you mean Mankey, and back in 07' I had an argument with some random kids during ERT as to which route lead into the park. I knew I was right, but they were convinced that the steps lead down into the park and wouldn't capitulate. I tried to be a nice person and point them in the right direction, but they were hell bent on being right.

"Sod em!" I decided, and they journied off into the unknown. What's actually down there? I have no idea, but I know who would have got to the park first :mrgreen:
[/quote]

Those steps will also take you into the park. The path from them leads out at the bottom of the steps below the FV Skyride station.
Edwardo..... move me!
jomo1993

I personally find duel very mysterious and interesting.

Considering i never rode the haunted house, when riding duel i always look for the similarites and differences between the current and past rides.
MIND THE DOORS PLEASE

MIND THE DOORS
XIIIDom

In the thirteen queue, seeing the broken down concrete block remnants of past ugland ride cabins and queues... really brings the whole passing of time thing home to me... seeing all the pics on the site of when these rides were new (boneshaker especially)... once, they brought in crowds and entertained the masses of guests, and now, today all that remain are some concrete blocks, forgotten by most of the public in favour of a new ride...

reminds me of a quote in blade runner: "All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... time to die..."

:cry:
MissMoz

Talking of th13teen and the passing of time, apparently the tree on the station building is made of Corkscrew steel.

Nice to know and now I don't feel so bad about being a traitor to Corky and going on TH13TEEN.
Everyday Is Like Sunday
Everyday Is Silent Without Corky

FOR SOME THINGS THERE IS NO RATIONAL EXPLANATION.
[Archive]

That was proven to be false, I'm afraid. Morwenna admitted that it was just a bit of marketing at the Thirteen evening, apparently. :hraaagh:

...It isn't a bit of mysterious stuff anyway! Wrong topic.
Voke

I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but what is that small hut/building just outside the entrance to Dark Forest and directly across from Woodcutter's Bar and Grill? It has quite a big metal fence around it, if that helps. Anyone have a clue?
.Will

[quote=""Voke""]I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but what is that small hut/building just outside the entrance to Dark Forest and directly across from Woodcutter's Bar and Grill? It has quite a big metal fence around it, if that helps. Anyone have a clue?[/quote]

It is Her Ladyships Oratory on the edge of Fountain Square. It was built specially for Her Ladyship as a place for her to go and worship, and features a weird window at an obtuse angle to catch the sun at certain parts of the day. Restoration work began on it in 2007, but the Oratory was sadly bypassed, and at one point was home to an electrical generator. There were plans to reopen it to the public making a little area that they may go and sit in to see the beauty of this little room but unfortunately, it was accidentally knocked down when a large tree fell on it smashing it completely.

This image shows the extent of the damage!

It will thankfully be rebuilt!

:hhappy:
Voke

Thanks so much for the quick reply, sounds like a really interesting place and would be a shame for it to be left in that state fenced off. Really would like to have a look around it one day.
Jollylee11

This might not be so much Mysterious But i have always wondered how they made the Nemesis water Purple :!: And where from you don't see any pumps around nemesis :?: