The Mysterious Stuff of Alton Towers

What rides and attractions do you miss? Share your memories of Alton Towers' extensive past here.
[Archive]

We all love abandoned/disused/forgotten/closed/changed things.

Now, Alton Towers is huge. There must be lots of hidden places that are either no longer accessable or remains of old rides and theming. For example, the old Nemesis queueline or all the old effects in the Haunted House. How about closed off areas such as Coaster Corner? Or clues from the past such as old signage? There have been huge changes over the past few years alone.

Let's explore all that mystery and get excited... Do you know anything mysterious? :o

This topic is for all those interesting bits that you can only see if you look closely. Remember something mysterious from a past visit that has gone? Want to find out where it went to? Don't look here, you dafty. Go to the What Ever Happened To...? topic!
joshc807

oooo... I love these things :D , how about the queue line for the Black Hole, i love this because everytime i pass it, it looks as if it is still used because the t.vs are still there...
[Archive]

Ah, yes! I don't ever remember using it when I went on the Black Hole, and had no idea it existed. Last year I looked through the trees beside the X Sector toilets and it took me by surprise. Am I right in thinking the queue path was built over the route of the old Vintage Cars, after they were moved to what is now Cloud Cuckoo Land?

The Black Hole is full of mysterious things. I overhear many people asking themselves what the tent is for and speculating about what ride used to be there, near the old entrance structure in particular.
Rita 2005

The Black Hole also had the old indoor queueline that was closed off for many years before the ride's closure.
DiogoJ42

There's always the old Aqualand sign near the rapids queueline.
[Archive]

I recently heard about the old Nemesis queueline. I noticed that behind the stall turn before the loop, there are the metal fence remains of an old part of the queueline. I am sure many others have seen it and probably queued through it if they visited Alton Towers back in the early-ish years. The path up to that part of the queue apparently has a gate in the way that is welded closed. It would no longer be usable anyway because Air's lift hill has since been built over in that area.

Though, it is still interesting to think that there is a forgotten pathway leading around the back of Nemesis where nobody would have been for a good few years now. Apparently the queueline for Dynamo used a another part of the Nemesis queue that was also disused, that travelled through a tunnel. Dynamo has gone as well now, I wonder if the tunnel is still there?
mattbailey

I have read a topic like this before! There is loads of interesting things around Alton, lots of throwbacks to the past... I'd love to have a closer look at Coaster Corner, and also round the back of Gloomy Wood in that storage area...
Joe Koopa

[quote=""DiogoJ42""]There's always the old Aqualand sign near the rapids queueline.[/quote]
I always find the sign quite odd, did the old pathway used to go left from The Flume and next to the River Rapids that way? Or is it only used for storage? :)
Ritadz

[quote=""electricBlll""]I recently heard about the old Nemesis queueline.[/quote]

Funny you should mention that because when i recently went i noticed that the other side off the loop there is a queue line but no fence on the side of the pit? Also go on air far left seat and at the top of the lift hill/pre drop look left, you should be able to see the old Nemesis queue.
barryzola

I once took the camcorder and upon exiting Nemesis asked very nicely if i could just hop the gate to the old queueline to get some footage for old times sake from different angles. Helps if you're not with a posse of people and most would probably say no, but the kind gent probably thought i looked sensible and told me it was ok. Worth asking, but obviously it's very understandable if they say no due to health and safely regulations.
NF2

What sort of condition is the queue up there? Obviously it will be overgrown and contain some broken fence planks etc, but is the actual paving itself still intact and possible for use if stripped back?

Word has it that part of the queue was ripped up when they were installing Air's lift hill, but I can't just see them dropping some footers diretly on top of it with no clearing beforehand. As far as i'm aware, the only reason they no longer use it is beause it is further past the queue merge point so would deem the fastracks useless. Mind you, on the topic of Nemmy's queue, the old Nemesis Logo that used to be bove the tunnel out of the loop has now been installed in one of the further away wooded area's. Don't see why they moved it in the first place to be honest, but at least they kept it :D
Khanage

Are we able to see this video Barry?
Thanks to Adzy for the sig & av.

NF2

joshc807

When i went to Alton Towers i saw the old queueline for Nemesis it was full of moss and overgrown by trees, its ashame it doesnt get full anymore, but good at the same time. The Blackhole is probably the most mysterious thing at Alton Towers,

[quote=""Rita 2005""]The Black Hole also had the old indoor queueline that was closed off for many years before the ride's closure.[/quote]

Why did it close?
SAW_gameover

[quote=""NF2""]I believe this is the one:

http://www.towerstimes.co.uk/media/vide ... stichi.htm

:D[/quote]

That footage is awesome :)
http://www.ukparknews.co.uk
UK Park News - Your Dedicated Theme Park Resource

Mick

Okay, so about the old Nemesis queueline...

I know there's a bit that goes off to the left from the entrance and up behind the top of the lift hill. I also know there's a bit after the stairs that goes on up behind the stall turn. I have never seen either of these parts open and have never been in them.

Which of these is the old Nemesis queueline, or is it somewhere else? Do these seperate parts join up? People make it sound like Nemesis' old queue followed a completely different route to what it does now - is this true?

Also regarding Fastrack queue - where is the merge point (this will help me understand a previous point above). I've never noticed it. I know that you go down under all the track to get to the fast track entrance (and like going under there - the 'down' bit that connects the stairs near the entrance via the SRQ to come out next to the exit), but don't know where it actually is.

Bit of a long question - sorry. But I'd be interested and appreciative of any replies! :)
There\'s plenty of room at the bottom!
Zylos

[quote=""Mick""]Okay, so about the old Nemesis queueline...

I know there's a bit that goes off to the left from the entrance and up behind the top of the lift hill. I also know there's a bit after the stairs that goes on up behind the stall turn. I have never seen either of these parts open and have never been in them.

Which of these is the old Nemesis queueline, or is it somewhere else? Do these seperate parts join up? People make it sound like Nemesis' old queue followed a completely different route to what it does now - is this true?

Also regarding Fastrack queue - where is the merge point (this will help me understand a previous point above). I've never noticed it. I know that you go down under all the track to get to the fast track entrance (and like going under there - the 'down' bit that connects the stairs near the entrance via the SRQ to come out next to the exit), but don't know where it actually is.

Bit of a long question - sorry. But I'd be interested and appreciative of any replies! :)[/quote]

I have never seen those parts of the queue line being used, not even on the busiest summer days. Those parts of the queue line has always looked very neglected but I think they suit the theme of Nemesis itself, what better to have surround a mysterious ride as Nemesis than mysterious queue sections that lead out of sight :D

You would see the queue looking different depending on how busy it is when you go, the staff open sections of the queue to allow more guests in the queue line.

I wouldn't mind going in the section on the video mentioned earlier where the camera directly faces the immediate descent after the lift hill.

Interesting stuff anyways :P I find un-used and derelict places very interesting.
Muay Thai, MMA, Dubstep, Photography and drumming.
Anthony

The Fastrack merge point is just before the steps that take you back up to the level of the station.

I don't know what the old queue used to be exactly, but I remember that you used to be able to walk around in the area around the ride before the Fastrack entrance was put it.
air_head

I've queued up a few times the long way, when I was visiting with school a few years ago and also when it was Halloween and everyone rushed to Nemesis. I actually enjoy the turning left at the main entrance and going up towards the lift hill. When I last went up there they were still playing the 'story' version of the music so you could listen to the story as well as get some great views of the ride. I think John Wardley once said that when they were desiging the ride they wanted to build up anticipation in the queueline as much as possible, and I found it certainly did that.

I don't think I've ever gone as far as the opposite side of the pit (i.e. next to the loop); Just as far as the lift and predrop. But still this is pretty interesting. Get a stunning view when you're stood virtually right next to the first corkscrew.
Vik

The part of the Nemesis queueline which goes past the lift hill and up towards the top of the loop is still used on very busy days. Have queued from the loop around 3 times in the last 2 years.

Also, next time you are about to enter the Nemesis queueline, just take a look to the left of the entrance, on the other side of the access gate, you will see another part of the Nemesis queueline which hasn't been used for years. Infact this section was last used as the Dynamo queueline

I remember the old Black Hole indoor queueline. We got to take a walk through it during the Goodbye Black Hole event back in March 2005. Up until then I had completely forgotton about it it had been closed for that long.
Sent from my ZX81 via Time Travel