Power Cut(s)

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
fredward

'tis the curse of 13... Damn whoever named SW6 Th13teen!
Dormiens-Dave

From what i can gather todays power cut was very short, however when the power goes it takes an age for the rides to reset
Crisps

If anyone was in the Nemesis queue today at the time of the power cut and saw a fat bloke in a bright green top getting evacuated off the front right seat of Nemesis, that was me :lol:

Full credit has to go to AT for providing the extra ride time, free parking (bet those who paid at the start of the day were cheesed off!), and one free entry with today's ticket (even the free Sun ones, bonus! :D) .Plus the priority pass we got for being stuck on Nemesis. AT went a heck of a lot further than they needed to, IMHO.

The Thirteen downtime (most of which was unrelated to the power cut) didn't help either.
haydn!

Actual properties affected by todays power cut was just 226, and power wasn't fully restored for nearly 7 hours.

[url="http]Source - E.ON Central Networks[/url]
CoasterCrazyChris

It seems the park realy responded magnificently to these power cuts, thestaff sure knew what they were doing with getting everyone off the rides safely by the looks of it, that deserves a big well done.

Plus to offer return tickets for affected vistors, extend the opening hours and let people off the car parking charge seems to me more than anything you'd normally expect. It shows the park are really keen to make an effort. Some people really will try anything to turn the blame from an inevitable situation onto the theme park, simply because they are frustrated, unfortunately this makes the facebook page look bad which really isn't deserved too when these people get home and look for a way to get at the park.

:)
mezza

[quote=""Joel""]Can I ask a random question... if there was a power cut across the resort (and presumably Towers Street too, because Towers Trading looks dark!)

Why the hell are the fountains still working?! lol :lol:[/quote]

Because they are magic fountains, obv!
EXIT THROUGH THE SHIPPING CONTAINER
Chris W

Alton Towers' Twitter is reporting that all problems are now fixed and everything should be open as normal.
We are pleased to report issues with our power supply have been resolved and we anticipate all rides and attractions will open as normal
I should imagine that will be the end of it all.
luke.eggerton

I was their yesterday ! We was evactued on Hex after watching the two videos. We got a prioty pass to go back on later on in the day. I am not sure if and how I get my free return ticket. Because I asked a member of staff near the entrance and they said just bring yesterdays ticket next time you come and you will get free admission. Can somebody confirm this ?
Bote

[quote=""luke.eggerton""]I was their yesterday ! We was evactued on Hex after watching the two videos. We got a prioty pass to go back on later on in the day. I am not sure if and how I get my free return ticket. Because I asked a member of staff near the entrance and they said just bring yesterdays ticket next time you come and you will get free admission. Can somebody confirm this ?[/quote]

I believe that is the usuall procedure. I'm assuming they do something with the turnsiles to allow any ticket with that date one free admision.
Anonymous

I would also like to know how this works. My day with my family was completely ruined due to these power cuts.

I spoke to a member of staff and no one explained that a refund or a free entry would be given.

I have retained my tickets but how do i get these validated etc.

Is there a contact number for the admin part of the park etc.

I was also at the water park on the 13th April and again the whole experience was ruined due to the power cut.
Anonymous

Quote from the ATR Facebook group:
If you have a ticket dated 13th or the 14th April 2010 you can use it on another date in the 2010 season (excluding 23rd May and 27th June), simply take it to an admission kiosk and they will happily exchange it for a new ticket for your chosen date of visit.
AstroDan

I think if you have tickets for 13 or 14.4.10 that they will simply re-admit youonany day until 6.11.10. However, for peace of mind - I would call them!

:)
D-Man

It must be really freaky when you are on the skyride hanging over the massive drop into the valley and then all of a sudden the ride just stops haha Anybody been on the skyride when this has happened?

I would be seriously pooing my pants :lol:
Alba gu brath! Scotland Forever!
Bote

[quote=""D-Man""]Anybody been on the skyride when this has happened? [/quote]

Yes. Not for a long time, just one of the many times it stoped on the day we went (Last friday). It wasn't actually that bad, but cause of how the wire sags under the weight of the gondalas, it sort of shot up, then back down, as if the wire suddely went tense and then loose again :P Quite fun actually.
Anonymous

I wonder what they will do about the power cut on the 13th april.

i paid to take my family to the alton towers water park only to arrive and be told that the water park was shut etc.

waited 2 hours to get in and by the time i got in it was after 3.30 pm and the outside water park shut at 4.00 pm.

at the reception desk i did ask for a refund before i entered the water park but they refused saying they would get the power on shortly etc.

i wonder whether i would be entitled to a visit to the water park as well
Mr Hyde

[quote=""Dylan""]I don't really understand what Guest Services are expected to do to be fair?[/quote]
Such a good reply :)
I suspect the answer is refunding, giving free tickets, free car parking and extending the opening hours, as well as giving free vouchers for food, a free item from the shop and possibly even paying for everybody's petrol money to get home again would be a start!

Some people are simply not happy whatever they get.

Most people are quick to blame Alton, yet it's just one of those facts of life that you just have to deal with. Almost as if these people have NEVER wasted any money ever in their life.

I bought some curtain hooks once, but they were the wrong type. No reciept, so there it was £1 purely wasted. I have done the same with other things before but I just accept it and move on.

Life is too short - once day, people will realise this.
i want to be uploaded
Mick

^Whilst I agree with your sentiment, I bet you didn't anticipate buying those curtain hooks for weeks or months in advance; plan the trip in detail and arrange time off with your boss; day dream about the smiles of delight and wonder on your kids' faces when you bring the hooks home etc. etc. :)

It's not Alton's fault there's a power cut - no. But it would be very bad for business, to say the least, not to take some responsibility for the disappointment people experience. I think Alton have done a commendable job on this, but you're right: some people will never be happy if their dream day is anything less than perfect :)

A topical note:
Alton's problems with this must pale in comparison to the stick that airlines out of Britain are getting at the moment from their stranded passengers etc. That's not their fault either, but they are taking responsibility and offering replacement flights (when they become available).
There\'s plenty of room at the bottom!
tamtam86

A topical note: Alton's problems with this must pale in comparison to the stick that airlines out of Britain are getting at the moment from their stranded passengers etc. That's not their fault either, but they are taking responsibility and offering replacement flights (when they become available).

AT have done the same and compensated their guests enormously by giving guests free entry to the park on another day, free parking and extending the opening hours when the power resumed.
Kaycee

It's when people there on the days of the power cut start to take their frustrations out on staff that it starts to go a little far. I can understand disappointment, however abusing staff is not going to solve anything, in what is a very stressful situation.

I have read accounts of the days where some people have moaned and complained and wasted half the day queuing up for Guest Services. They contributed towards ruining their own day. There were people who dealt with the power cuts as one of those unfortunate facts of life which you just have to get on with, and as soon as the power was restored, continued to enjoy their day and more than made up for lost time with the extended ride close. But we live in a society where blame has to always be placed, compensation always sought and anyone wearing a uniform targeted for abuse - which is sad. :(
Crofty

Sky news must be seriously scraping the barrel if they are reporting a power cut at Alton Towers! Mind you i've spent most the last 3 days fixed to a view of an empty runway or "special plane." :lol:

Wasn't the power cut just for an hour or so? I think the extended ride close plus would be enough compensation for most people, altohugh the park offered excellent customer service buy waiving the parking fee and offering free tickets.
People seem to have become wise to Guest Services and will visit for any problem that arises in the hope to get a freebie.
GS should have sent everyone to the Gardens/Towers while the power was off :P

:D :D