Power Cut(s)

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
bradpeet

I didn't know it was the wider area that was affected - I only know what I've read on this forum, and have not seen that mentioned before.

A coincidence it is then :)
chrismci

[quote=""bradpeet""]I didn't know it was the wider area that was affected - I only know what I've read on this forum, and have not seen that mentioned before.

A coincidence it is then :)[/quote]

The powercut yesterday affected 2000 homes, so it certainly wasn't localised on AT.

There's been so many complaints... I don't know what people think AT can do, if the grid goes down around them it's not like they could possibly have enough backup power to keep running (well, not economically anyway).
I can see where someone would be coming from complaining if the day was their one trip of the year, but I was reading a comment on Facebook from someone saying that AT would be hearing from her solicitor if they didn't get compensation including the cost of fuel to get there... :shock:
Nicola

[quote=""chrismci""]I was reading a comment on Facebook from someone saying that AT would be hearing from her solicitor if they didn't get compensation including the cost of fuel to get there... :shock:[/quote]

I think I'll try sueing them next time I get rained on whilst in the park. I'm sure it'll go down just as well.
bradpeet

[quote=""chrismci""]The powercut yesterday affected 2000 homes, so it certainly wasn't localised on AT.
[/quote]

That's the danger of relying on a forum like this for news then :lol:

But according to the Daily Mail it was an "electricity meltdown that affected 919 homes and properties in the region" [url=http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/artic ... d-air.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/artic ... d-air.html[/url]
pixie-ro

But Chris, how are they going to get to their solicitor? They can't possibly leave the park as the monorail is down!
[Archive]

They could always do it the old fashioned way and do something called walking. It involves your legs and apparently does not need electricity, so it might work.

As long as they don't leave any lasting damage to rides in any way, I quite like it when power cuts happen. It must be pretty weird to suddenly have everything fall silent. As if the atmosphere had been turned off at the flick of a switch. :-k
James6

Walking round the park during a power cut is one of the strangest experiences...

Like you say, it just goes silent. Somehow though, even without any noise, the awesome atmosphere at Alton was kept.

If it was only for 30 mins/ maybe even an hour, it would've been cool but would have preferred the rides in operation on this occasion :)
If you go down to the Towers today, you\'d better ride Th13teen. :P
pixie-ro

[quote=""electricBlll""]They could always do it the old fashioned way and do something called walking. It involves your legs and apparently does not need electricity, so it might work.

[/quote]

Yes, I know, I was being sarcastic. The idiot on facebook who is going to contact their solicitor was complaining that they couldn't leave the park because the monorail was down.
Maddie

just got back from alton myself. was queueing for nemesis from 12.30, got evacuated from the queueline, and at 4pm as we were walking back to the car, nemmy still didnt appear to be running. only managed 2 rides all day :(

as far as i could hear, all of forbidden valley, duel, runaway mine train and the rapids were all the worst affect rides from todays (14/4/10) powercut.
Nathan

Seems these power cuts are happening slightly too often, there were a number of cases last season too if I'm not mistaken.

Doesn't take Einstein to work out that something obviously needs replacing at the old power grid.
pixie-ro

These power cuts are the result of roadworks taking place nearby. The people doing the roadworks have apparently admitted responsibility.
jomo1993

I think they had 2 last year.

I live bout 15 mins away and we have a load of power cuts :D
MIND THE DOORS PLEASE

MIND THE DOORS
aru

I can fully understand complaints about power cuts, especially if guests have travelled a long way, or have paid the full £39 to get in. Alton Towers cannot prevent these things happening, but they are in the entertainment business, so they must compensate people if the park falls-short of delivering a full 'product'. Luckily AT dealt with this very well yesterday, and went further then they had to in my opinion. :)

It was quite amazing how synchronised the response to the power cut was - the staff are obviously well trained. At the Flume, staff came running over the hill from the Rapids, whist some others arrived in florescent jackets to deal with guests in the queue. The reaction was so fast (staff legging it into the forest etc) everyone in the queue presumed that someone had fallen in! I'm guessing the PA systems run on a back-up system as announcements were still played in the queue?

How do they evacuate the Rapids as the water slowly drains away?
Dean

2009 - Chessington has power issues
2010 - AT's turn
2011 - Thorpe's?

BTW - It's only £38 to get in, it's not £39 yet! :P
Islander

[quote=""Nathan""]Doesn't take Einstein to work out that something obviously needs replacing at the old power grid.[/quote]
Well, not necessarily. Seems these road workers have claimed responsibility. Also, the load on a local grid will always grow, and may well grow larger than it had been designed to cope with.

'Tis a bit unlucky though. I'm off to AT for my second visit ever next Monday and Tuesday (yayayayayayay :joy: ), so I kinda hope things are sorted by then... 8-[ (which of course is a somewhat selfish thing to say... I hope they're sorted right away!)
tha fish

[quote=""pixie-ro""]These power cuts are the result of roadworks taking place nearby. The people doing the roadworks have apparently admitted responsibility.[/quote]
hmm does anyone know how long these roadworks are for? because my yearly visit is on saturday and i really dont want a powercut to ruin the experience
Also, just realised the new "powercut" TTF background and all i can say is LOL !

ReMeMBeR ThE NaMe !!
SheikhSam

As Vik said earlier.. these power-cuts seem to be happening much more frequently.. last time I was affected.. I'd decided to get the camera out and start filming the rides that were off, down, or even mildly-affected (if there is such a way) but I've got a video of how bare the rides look when they're not in 'action'
clickyand make the views go up! :P

New youtube features.. AGAIN! :shock:
Dormiens-Dave

The powercut today was dealt with better than you would expect any other park to handle such a situation.

Everyone was offered, free return on another day just by keeping there ticket, free parking and an extra hour and a half of ride time.

Yet the queue for guest services at the time of the cut was huge... example below

Mick

[quote=""Dean""]
BTW - It's only £38 to get in, it's not £39 yet! :P[/quote]

I wouldn't be so sure. The inflation at the AT gate is reminiscent of the German economy just before the Deutsch-Mark :)
There\'s plenty of room at the bottom!
Joel

Can I ask a random question... if there was a power cut across the resort (and presumably Towers Street too, because Towers Trading looks dark!)

Why the hell are the fountains still working?! lol :lol: