Rate Th13teen

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.

Th13teen Overall Rating

Poll runs till Sat Jun 25, 2050 2:44 am

5 Stars - The Ultimate Rollercoaster
16%
4 Stars - Impressive
55%
3 Stars - Average, Nothing Special
23%
2 Stars - Poor and Disappointing
2%
1 Star - Waste of Money
4%

Total votes: 194
Blaze

They do make the tunnel cold, and normally have smoke in it.
QTXAdsy

What can I say about Th13teen?

Found it a lot of fun. Never believed all that hype, you'd have to be daft to believe in it. :P

Theming is amazing though, strangely enough, a lot of people were applauding as they finished they're ride on it.

It gets a 4 out 5 from me, just let it age then we will see what'll it'll be like. :)
Blaze

Thirteen is the only ride I have been on where people appaud it when they get off. That must count for something, surely?
Wizzy

[quote=""Blaze""]Thirteen is the only ride I have been on where people appaud it when they get off. That must count for something, surely?[/quote]
Love your thinking there Blaze, Thirteen has a very celebrated feel to it, I must say. It may be because it's a new ride though, if I remember correctly people clapped on my first circuit of Saw when it opened!
Having only been on Thirteen three times, I rate it a 4-star coaster - though it seems to get better every ride. As late as this statement is; Towers should be proud of their achievement! :P

-Wizzy :D
Islander

[quote=""Blaze""]...someone said they were using smells like they do on Hex, sadly it seems they arn't. I wish they did...[/quote]
Well, just to correct you there Blaze, there is an aroma machine :)

Take a look at button five:

Blaze

WHOO!

Nice to be corrected, but is it in the station or just the drop section?
buffaloBen

Now the majority of people have ridden thirteen, its time to actually build a picture of what everyone was expecting.

What did the maketing put in your mind? Amazing effects maybe? An unltimate THRILL?

Or were you expecting an ultimate effects and thrill ride?

or

Were you smart and thought, a great family coaster!? (In which was not mentioned untill months after opening)

From the desciptions and marketing posters ect i was expecting a ride that would 'mess with your mind' and give you an illusion of dropping a lot further than you did. (Not with air cannons) More like moving walls and screens ect.

A story would of been nice.

I also expected to be in the crypt a little bit longer for some effect or show that would cause you to drop. (e.g tree branches pull the train) A ride simerlair to Revenge of the Mummy - the ride at Universal Florida or Hollywood.

Now i have learnt not to compare UK rides with rides at those theme parks. (which are out of this world!)

However that did not come true. Although im happy for what it is.

What did you picture TH13TEEN to be like?
Big Dave

I was not expecting some kind of super hyper coaster with a top speed of 90million MPH, but I was expecting more than what we got. They marketed it as a Thrill ride and yet we ended up with a slightly thrilling family ride.

I dont know, the theming isnt all that much in the queueline and the overall coaster experience just isnt all that good. Yes the drop element is fantastic, but it doesnt make up for a very poor coaster section. If only it went that bit faster to make it have some prolonged pops of airtime and then this ride would have gone from being average, to being one of the best at the park. I mean come on, Corkscrew had 2 inversions and loads of airtime. Th13teen is alot less thrilling than the old screw and I'd much rather have a go on a Corkscrew (minus the roughness) than Th13teen.
DiogoJ42

I was expecting a classic Intamin airtime machine, with no trims. :|
But dont get me wrong, I love Th13teen.
James

I was expecting a decent thrill ride, until the track pieces started to appear with "Replacement Family Coaster"(or something like that) written on them. Then I didn't expect much so didn't really get disappointed with the final product. It was much slower than I was expecting, I seriously thought it'd be much quicker. The ride itself is great, the marketing that went along with it should have been done differently.

But I do love Th13teen, it's one of my favourites rides on park, but I don't think it was Secret Weapon worthy.
Blaze

What you see is what you get. They said it would replace Corkscrew, so it was never going to be a big thrill ride. The plans shown the bi-rail track and said it would not have a direct impact on visitor numbers after it's first few years. The box said family coaster model, so there was no way I was expecting Nemesis v2. I was not expecting it to be trimmed, but the size of the hills compared to the lift makes it understandable that it was. I was also half expecting a bit more in the crypt, but only because I had got carried away with it myself, not because of the marketing or whatever.

And a Secret Weapon is just a codename for coasters, I don't know why to qualify as one people think it has to be a huge B&M monster. Thirteen has just as much of a right to be a Secret Weapon as any of the others.
AstroDan

I was thinking earlier, I don't think I have ever known a major new coaster with the hype of Th13teen that has had such a negative response online.

Whether it's Youtube and people thinking it's just "average" or "theoutside bit is rubbish" to enthusiasts on the likes of TPR saying it was "overrated" to us lot being let down because it didn't necessarily deliver the special suprises we'd expected (i.e. more SFX!).

I have just been browsing Youtube and there's so many people saying things like "Th13teen is rubbish, go and ride Saw at Thorpe Park" or "it dropped and we were like, oh is that IT?".

It gets me down seeing such negative stuff about AT, but part of me knows that it's justified in many cases.

:(
onair

[quote=""AstroDan""]I was thinking earlier, I don't think I have ever known a major new coaster with the hype of Th13teen that has had such a negative response online.

Whether it's Youtube and people thinking it's just "average" or "theoutside bit is rubbish" to enthusiasts on the likes of TPR saying it was "overrated" to us lot being let down because it didn't necessarily deliver the special suprises we'd expected (i.e. more SFX!).

I have just been browsing Youtube and there's so many people saying things like "Th13teen is rubbish, go and ride Saw at Thorpe Park" or "it dropped and we were like, oh is that IT?".

It gets me down seeing such negative stuff about AT, but part of me knows that it's justified in many cases.

:([/quote]

Really good post. The problem is now with the internet people post their instant reactions though i kind of agree it could have been better but still find it an enjoyable ride.

Like most of us on here we love the park or would not be here. I always wonder (ok i know its in a differnet league) but what it would be like to see nemesis as a new coaster current day and the reviews / comments it would get.
Chris1

I think with the addition of Th13teen, Alton Towers have taken two steps forward, and one step back...

On the one hand they've added a genuinely good family ride, and at the same time, managed to cobble together a lose theme to integrate Rita with it's surrounding area. On the other hand however, they've gone to all the trouble of theming this fantastic area, investing millions of pounds in all this new hardware but haven't even attempted to create some sort of back-story to explain exactly what's going on...

Disney are so good at creating decent family rides because they immerse you from start to finish by using stories that are unique to them, Alton Towers themselves have proved with Hex that it can be done on a budget (Can you imagine what that would be like without the legend?), but for some reason the park didn't feel it was necessary with Th13teen...

I truely believe that this ride could have been up there with the best had they gone to town with a story and used this to build up suspense within the queue and within the Dark Forest...
Tom G

Not sure what sort of other story could have been used for this.

It has been stated that it's based an a recently-discovered, ancient, abandoned crypt in a supernatural forest, we know that wraiths inhabit the forest and they are basically casting you out from their crypt when you enter it.

There is atmosphere and theme to the ride, just not an in-depth, unbelievable story - but there still is a background story.
PeteB

[quote=""AstroDan""]I was thinking earlier, I don't think I have ever known a major new coaster with the hype of Th13teen that has had such a negative response online.

:([/quote]

Good post Dan. I think the people don't lie, and one could assume thats its a negative response due to the hype and the fact it's "just" a new ride attracting haters. But then look at the response to something like Manta - it's not Disney and doesn't rely on any backstory or an amazing theme, even the station looks p!ss poor yet everyone loves it because its an amazing rollercoaster. Nothing new, just a great ride.
Jollylee11

10/10 :D :D
It's a great ride and what alton towers need.
I was screaming and laughing from start till the crypt.
The outside bit was lovely not to fast,not to slow.
With the wind in my hair and my m8 holding on for dear life i was having the best time of my life.
Then it changed when we went into the Crypt.
We entered it and it stop my m8 said "Oh no here is comes"
I was laughing at the first drop then the noise came and my heart went into my mouth,it did feel like i was falling
And just has i stop screaming.
It shot back and everyone was like "Arr got to get out Arr" [-o< #-o .
I was still in shock from the drop and Didnt know what to say .
We came back out and stop My mate looked like he passed out we shot forward and it ended.
A great ride and a one to go on it was worth the wait of 70 minutes :mrgreen: