Th13teen - Ride discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
pfleety

notice RITA testing in the background
Craig

Give it time iPhone videos take a little longer to process!
fishdalf

[quote=""Craig""]Give it time iPhone videos take a little longer to process![/quote]
It just says cannot play media, it's not even trying.
Does anyone have an iPhone compatible video? =(
nemesisfan

Anyone think that reverse launch was slowed? obviously the rest of the ride cant be slowed because it seems to go up that lift hill pretty nippy and the rest is gravity, the layout seemed short and rather dull and i would say the effects was without a doubt OFF ! its the effects that will make the ride all drawn together with the story and the drop it's still gunna make for an exiting ride iam sure but at the moment iam a little gutted :(
Scorpe

does look horrific but.. the on ride video i think is the first time they went round, doubt it was live... but then even if not, theres quite a scream from the lads at the back lol when it drops, so it does look liek it takes you by surprise, and thats without effects... no falling into a deep hole though =(
DiogoJ42

It wasn't live... the on-ride camera was in bright sunlight, while the off-ride footage was overcast.
They're lying to us, man! :P
ReZourceman

Hmmmm interesting. I'm sure it will be good or fine, but this is not in the same category as the other secret weapons and it was insulting to consider it so.

Rollercoaster 4 Life

Well, where to start. Have Alton overhyped this? Probably. I just hope on the day it is better with all the effects working and maybe the story will draw it all together to make a good ride. I guess we will just have to wait till Saturday.
Yesterday\'s the past, tomorrow\'s the future, but today is a gift. That\'s why it\'s called the present.

PSN ID]Bankzy108
Add me if you want!
DiogoJ42

[quote=""ReZourceman""]this is not in the same category as the other secret weapons and it was insulting to consider it so.[/quote]
Indeed. Mr Wardly should hang up his pencils and quit now!

(Ok, that's an overstatement, but seriously, is that it?)
dont look down 2005

I think we should all keep an open mind until we've been on it with full effects working, but I have to say this ride will be more reliant on effects than I was expecting...
[Archive]

I was pleased with what I saw. They did not show the effects, but then again it was more of a news report than the real thing. I think the drop looks really good, but as others are saying it needs more than just the world's first feature to make it great.

I am not disappointed (I hate it when other people start being all pessimistic about it) and it lives up to my expectations. I thought the drops were pretty steep and the airtime hills look nice and speedy, but we already knew it would not be much more thrilling than that. The station, crypt and backwards tunnel all looked so bare, though. I hope more atmosphere is created than that.

Thirteen will most likely be a let down for some people, because they have hyped it up too much and taken the risky decision of not including such an intense track layout. The effects and theming are still mysteries, then, if they decided not to show them on GMTV. I want better lighting and appearance, though. Alton Towers cannot get away with bare corrugated metal and natural light seeping through everywhere.

Let's hope! [-o<
DiogoJ42

I think there is a danger of "Expedition Everest Syndrome". Where they Yeti is so complicated that it almost never works.

It's dangerous to rely soley on effects, as when they break down, you are left with a rather boring ride.
Kelly

The footage was filmed yesterday, hence the changing light conditions.

I'm surprised that there was no outline on the story, and then the wraiths just plonked there? Were the GP supposed to guess their purpose baring in mind they haven't been featured in the blips?

I think the GP will enjoy this in it's entirity but will still prefer rides like Rita and Nemesis for the thrills they provide. The GP like inversions and speed, not a stroll through the woods and an elevator ride in the dark (I think Charlie proved that). Still as I said, once it all comes together I do believe it will be enjoyable, I just think it was foolish of AT to show the ride half done and still resembling a building site rather than the 'Dark Forest'.
Vik

Thanks for the upload, made for interesting viewing.

It is obvious that the effects were not playing in the drop room. I think it is fair to say that the vertical drop was figured out a long time ago. Playing the effects that will join it will just ruin the whole big surprise completely.

As for the speed, it is often difficult to get a sense of speed from watching mixed footage of on and off ride footage. So I think it would be wise not to write it off just yet because it looks slow on the video. Remember riding it will offer a different experience.

Even without the effects playing, the indoor section does look rather promising. Drops like that will catch even the most anticipating of guests by surprise, leaving their stomach in their mouths.

I do feel, that once everything is in working order and the final touches applied, that Alton Towers will on to a hit with this ride.

Yes it may of been over hyped to the hilt, but if you want to draw in the crowds to ride it, what are they supposed to do?
Sent from my ZX81 via Time Travel

DiogoJ42

I think all that scaffolding "theming" may backfire on alton, as the GP will just thing it's unfinished.

Also, did anyone notice how unimpressed Justin looked? I've seen a bigger smile on his face going round Treetops Coaster at Oakwood.
JamieDeath

I am quite impressed, I thought all along it was a drop, but was never to sure. I think they have done very well with the quick timing of locking the train on to the track, and it dropping, and then it being launched backwods, no lengthy waiting for it to align at the bottom and so on.
Also I think we can safely say that the effects were turned off, and that the theming is no where near finished, as I don't think Alton would go to all this trouble and then leave us with theming how it is at the moment. The closing door in the crypt is also great and adds to the atmosphere, was hoping for the same in the station, but didn't see any.
But yeah I think if this gets properly themed it can be a great ride, and remember we cant purely judge it until we have ridden it! (which will probably be in about 10 years time for me :P).
Kelly

"As for the speed, it is often difficult to get a sense of speed from watching mixed footage of on and off ride footage. So I think it would be wise not to write it off just yet because it looks slow on the video. Remember riding it will offer a different experience. "

Hopefully this is the case because relying on effects alone for the "wow" factor is slightly worrying. Valhalla syndrome anyone? :lol:
fishdalf

You know watching it again the vertical drop does look a little more sudden and thrill-worthy than I first thought.
Last edited by fishdalf on Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
petethetowersfreak

I must admit I was very dissapointed with the footage shown on GMTV this morning but concerned? Not yet. I honestly feel the coaster sections were slowed down to get better footage for tv. When I visited in February, the ride seemed much faster and shot into the secret (well...not so secret) section at quite a speed, yet here it seemed to stroll in there. The drop seemed very short as did the secret section but there were no effects on show. The backwards section wasn't great either but that would be a good place for effects too.

Is this a ride that will top nemesis or oblivion? More than likely not, is it a fun ride that will have a great theme, build up and some great effects? Hopefully. Also I noticed a few things on the ride through that aren't a concern but could be better, in the "forest' it seems like your actually coasting through a clearing rather than a dark close compact forest. The area around the start of the ride looks like a building site, which could be part of the theme but I would hope not. I am sure thirteen will be a great addition to its coaster family, but I would hope that in the next few years alton realise they need a true white knuckle thrill coaster added to the park line-up.

Anyway that was my first post...enjoy.
Wibbley wobbley timey whimey
Rollercoaster 4 Life

I don't know, the more I watch it, the more it attracts me. My first thought was meh, but it's improving the more I watch it. I have changed my opinion, and will wait till Saturday to properly judge it now.

P.S The video has stopped processing and is better quality. I am trying to get a better version on for you all also.
Yesterday\'s the past, tomorrow\'s the future, but today is a gift. That\'s why it\'s called the present.

PSN ID]Bankzy108
Add me if you want!