Alton Towers: Closed due to Heavy Snow 21.2.10

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Dean

Seems Pleasure Beach Blackpool is open and added this to there website, to get some punters in from Alton's Closure. :wink:
Sunday 21st February 2010 - Pleasure Beach is open today, call 0871 222 1234 for park information.
If you ring the number half the rides will be closed (inc Valhalla). :P
Scott

Sorry Dean, you are wrong there. The only rides closed at PBB today are Space Invader, Noah's Ark, Trauma Towers & Big Dipper. Three of them arent even supposed to be open anyway. PMBO is operating on a two train service as far as I am aware, so its pretty much normal service at PB.
Number ONE for Pleasure Beach Blackpool;
[url=http://www.pleasurebeachexperience.com\" onclick=\"window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.pleasurebeachexperience.com[/url]
AstroDan

The roads around here are passable now - a lot of snow has melted. But it'll be too late to do anything at the theme park now.
Dean

[quote=""Scott""]Sorry Dean, you are wrong there. The only rides closed at PBB today are Space Invader, Noah's Ark, Trauma Towers & Big Dipper. Three of them arent even supposed to be open anyway. PMBO is operating on a two train service as far as I am aware, so its pretty much normal service at PB.[/quote]

I should of gone there instead, not warm enough for repeated rides on Valerie yet... :|
AstroDan

Lancashire forecast isn't heavy snow. I noticed that heavy snow is now forecast for Staffs at several points in the next 4 days! Just as well AT are closed.

:D
evil cod

Waterpark is open but only to Hotel guests and prebooked tickets.
Big Dave

A lot of the roads around Cheadle, Oakamoor and Alton are still even now covered in 4"+ of snow. When you have to wind your way through tight corners and steep hills, I think you can understand why Alton have made the decision to shut the park. Its not the rides that cannot run, but the danger to staff and customers who are trying to get to the park.
oldgitBEN

pbbppbpbbp is open? Meh still dont care, bet they are gutted they cant blame snow for the sbno rides and empty show venues. Hahaha.

Anyway back to Alton Towers, bet the waterpark is heaving!
I wonder what happens if guests cant leave, will they get a cheaper rate to stay again tonight?

Also anyone who follows Pirate Bill on twitter will see he's gone in this afternoon to entertain the guests - what a legend!
evil cod

Roads from towers are 100% clear now.
jomo1993

and all the snow around here is melting rapidly. Huh, guess ive got college still tomora then :cry:
MIND THE DOORS PLEASE

MIND THE DOORS
AstroDan

Open the rides 3-9 I say!

:twisted: :lol:
Dean

[quote=""AstroDan""]Open the rides 3-9 I say!

:twisted: :lol:[/quote]

If only Dan... :P
themealgang

Us Brits are up to it again! We get one bit of snowfall and look, everything has to be shut down! Disneyland Paris can somehow open in the winter chill with heavy snow fall AND everything running as it should. When it comes to Britain, there is no chance of anything happening! :shock: We freak at the first sight og the white stuff...
Last edited by themealgang on Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Dormiens-Dave

[quote=""themealgang""]Us Brits are up to it again! We get one bit of snowfall and look, everything has to be shut down! Disneyland Paris can somehow open in the winter chill with heavy snow fall AND everything running as it should. When it comes to Britain, there is no chance of anything happening! :shock: We freak at the first sight og the white stuff...[/quote]

true for most of the country but in this case the snowfall was heavy and comparing towers to disney, disney is at the end of a huge duel carriageway, towers are at the top of a hill with small country roads, so a slight difference
jomo1993

[quote=""themealgang""]Us Brits are up to it again! We get one bit of snowfall and look, everything has to be shut down! Disneyland Paris can somehow open in the winter chill with heavy snow fall AND everything running as it should. When it comes to Britain, there is no chance of anything happening! :shock: We freak at the first sight og the white stuff...[/quote]

I think thats a bit harsh if youre having a dig at Alton Towers. I think the reason (as someone posted above) that they decided to close is because of the roads being impassible - therefore making it dangerous for staff and guests to get there. If this is the case, then its not Altons fault that the roads are covered in snow, and in all fairness, judging by amount weve had, its pretty rare
MIND THE DOORS PLEASE

MIND THE DOORS
oldgitBEN

afik its the first time alton has closed due to snow and the only other time i can think of is due to high winds.
Its not exactly a regular occurance alton close is it?!

Have a look at cedar point who close rides and often the park at rain! Yes rain!
Lets be thankful alton are as good as they are.
AstroDan

The reason Alton will have closed will be quite simply that until mid afternoon today roads around the resort will have been very dangerous. There are several steep hills which would be treaterous.

Other parks - Thorpe, Blackpool, Chessington, Disneyland Paris simply do not suffer in that way as they are on major routes in urban areas.
Islander

Do you drive? If not, I can see why you'd think like that. You really need to have a go at driving in heavy snow to appreciate why it causes such chaos - it's really perfectly understandable, and actually quite irritating when people make comments such as "one bit of snow, and we stop".

Fact of the matter is, we're not used to these weather conditions, and people should expect a little confusion and disruption when faced with the out-of-the-ordinary.
Vik

I think that the correct decision was made to close the park today. I'm certain that such a decision wouldn't of been taken lightly. It was unfortunate that the Website wasn't updated with the information that the park 'May' be closed, until just after 8am, before being confirmed around 8.30am, which meant that there would of been a few people who would of already set out.

As has already been mentioned, the roads leading to Towers are not great at the best of times, and it goes without saying that negotiating the hill down from Alton, or Oakmoor if you come that way would of been nothing short of a nightmare this morning. Even the A50 (Classed as a major Trunk Road), in places was down to one lane, which was still covered in heavy snow, so one can only imagine what the minor routes would of been like.

Does anyone know if any of the Alton Towers buses ran this morning, or the 32A? I somehow doubt it, but still be nice to know. :D
Sent from my ZX81 via Time Travel

themealgang

[quote=""Dormiens-Dave""][quote=""themealgang""]Us Brits are up to it again! We get one bit of snowfall and look, everything has to be shut down! Disneyland Paris can somehow open in the winter chill with heavy snow fall AND everything running as it should. When it comes to Britain, there is no chance of anything happening! :shock: We freak at the first sight og the white stuff...[/quote]

true for most of the country but in this case the snowfall was heavy and comparing towers to disney, disney is at the end of a huge duel carriageway, towers are at the top of a hill with small country roads, so a slight difference[/quote]

You have a fair point there, travelling to Towers in this weather could be leathal. Travelling along a duel carrigeway could be safe due to the grit you don't find on roads in the hilly Alton area. :lol:

---- Post Info Added ----

Okay, everyone please don't leap on me about my comment earlier! I am sorry if I have caused any harm to anyone or Alton Towers :D

---- Post Info Added ----

[quote=""Islander""][quote=""themealgang""]Us Brits are up to it again! We get one bit of snowfall and look, everything has to be shut down! Disneyland Paris can somehow open in the winter chill with heavy snow fall AND everything running as it should. When it comes to Britain, there is no chance of anything happening! :shock: We freak at the first sight og the white stuff...[/quote][/quote]

No, I don't drive. :wink:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us