The Ultimate Fireworks: 5-7 November 2010

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Benedique

Hmmm I think the fireworks will just be running for one night! I'm thinking back to the 2004 bbc news article about the Ropers taking AT to court over the noise:
Mr Hockman had said the Ropers would be prepared to agree to one display, but five would be "intolerable".

The couple had turned down the company's offer of £200 per night to go out to dinner while the displays were on.

Either they have given in to AT and accepted the £200 a night to get out of the way or, they are still putting their foot down and only agreeing to one display...please let it be the first option!
Scott

This can only be a good thing for towers. I remeber going to one of the 'electric towers' days in 2006 and it was rammed, probably the busiest I've ever seen towers.

Hopefully PBB will follow suit and bring back there firework display this year. [-o<
Number ONE for Pleasure Beach Blackpool;
[url=http://www.pleasurebeachexperience.com\" onclick=\"window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.pleasurebeachexperience.com[/url]
AstroDan

August bank holiday will be perfect for this. I'd love to know when they have in mind.
CJH

I knew about fireworks possibly coming back so this is great.
I think it will be a one night event, but who knows.
Lets hope they have a summer event. Late opening, 30th party atmosphere, firework evenings showing off the parks achievements in the past 30 years as a theme park.

This season is going to be such a big year for Alton and I am glad to be a part of it.
Chris 21 Manchester
buffaloBen

Well this year scarefest finishes on the 31st which leaves 4 days building up to bonfire night although i doubt we will see the firework event 4 days in a row.

If this is a total seperate event from scarefest then i can see people struggling to decide either to visit at scarefest or for the fireworks. Hopefully for towers it will encourage people to stay longer for the firework event :D

I doubt we will see the full 20 to 30 minute spectacular that it used to be, when they had all the effects mixed in with fireworks.
O and hopefully they will keep the park open till 10pm or 11pm even if it is just 1 night it would be worth it! But i doubt it will be open that late ever again...

But fingers crossed [-o<
Last edited by buffaloBen on Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anonymous

Really glad to hear this.

So much going on this year, very excited. Merlin really are a great leader and doing a lot for Alton Towers. Such a great line up, Thank you Merlin! :)
Anonymous

Yes finally they are back. But it wasn't just about the noise, I heard it was something about a firework hitting the crowd not sure if its true or not.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anonymous

No, I doubt thats true at all.

Fireworks dont hit crowds.
Islander

[quote=""Kryn""]No, I doubt thats true at all. Fireworks dont hit crowds.[/quote]
Lol, I'm afraid you're wrong: I have first-aided at a firework display (done professionally by a top UK company, I should add) where most the fall-out fell onto the crowd. Led to some interesting stuff for us to deal with. Here's a small selection of the debris we found in the viewing area afterwards:

I hasten to add that this is very unusual, and I doubt that in this case there's any truth in the story (Alton will have a little more money for their display than this one did, so things will probably be done much more carefully). But this is definitely not unheard of.

Anyway, back on-topic: YAY! I've not been to their displays in the past (having visited Alton for the first time last year...), but I love fireworks. Will definitely have to try and get myself to this :D!
PeteB

Can I just be a total n00b fanboy and say OMFG! :D :D :D Fireworks return? Jesus...

What is it with towers this year, they are really pulling out all the stops aren't they? I just so hope they return like the good old days, 20-30 mins long with an epic story and lots of multimedia effects, held over multiple nights.

They CAN do it with Scarefest, they've done it before with the halloween spooktacular events. Infact I'm sure it would actually give Scarefest a huge boost pulling in those sorts of crowds.

I'm officially cancelling my October Florida trip so I dont miss this! :P
stretchy

Well that's the best news I have heard for this season. 2010 just keeps getting better. Keep it up Alton, I feel the magic seeping back.

edit ---
By the way - I think the final decision was that Alton could have it for 3 days and not the 5 they wanted or the 1 the Roapers wanted.
[url=http://"http://www.stretchedmindz.com"]Image[/url]

[url=http://"http://www.secretsantaelf.co.uk"]Image[/url]
Wes

I can see these returning around the time of the main 30th Celebrations.
Nathan

Tremendous news!

Sooooo glad I got an Annual Pass for the first time this year!

I really hope they take place in August as opposed to Scarefest, just to give the park another event that truly marks 30 years of Alton Towers!
AstroDan

Wes - I have forgotten when those celebrations were. Was it summer?
Dormiens-Dave

They didn't state a date on the monorail, but they announced the rest of the events in the order they occured through the season and the fireworks where announced between scarefest and christmas. Don't know if thats a clue, could be the last weekend of adrenaline week.

My only concern is that they cut the scarefest budget to pay for the fireworks so long as that doesn't happen i am happy
Coaster Crazy Alex

Great news! This i think is certainly a one off due to the locals complaints so best enjoy them while we can!

I also reckon the scarfest budget will be slightly shallow due to spending alot to make a spectacular fireworks show. Oh well i'd rather have fireworks and a weakened scarefest performance. Ah well...
Massive thanks to adzy for the signature and avatar!
Xbox Live - Blanddak1ller LFD2,FIFA10 and MW2 expert; feel free to add me!
Kelly

Ooo yay! Such fantastic news! I love the fireworks, very much looking forward to what they come up with! :D
Coasternut

This is excellent news!

Can't help but feel that many people are being overly harsh on the people of Alton however. The vast majority of locals i know and have spoken to fully support the park. The fireworks in particular seemed popular mainly because they could be seen and enjoyed from a number of vantage points in the surrounding area. Don't think we should let a small but admittedly loud minority of nimbys tarnish our view. I think the people of Alton will be delighted to see the fireworks return - lets remember that it was some very specific individuals (mentioning no names!) that brought about the noise abatement order that led to the end of the fireworks in the first place.

Anyway, rant over, just feel some have been a bit quick to criticise at times... :)
PeteB

[quote=""Dormiens-Dave""]
My only concern is that they cut the scarefest budget to pay for the fireworks so long as that doesn't happen i am happy[/quote]

I find it highly unlikely that would happen, the fireworks attract such huge crowds they make their money back tenfold. It's an investment which will be set aside seperately.

If anything I expect Scarefest will have an increased budget due to its now long running success.
themealgang

AT LAST!
I saw the Fireworks in 2006 and it was one of the best things I have seen on this scale outside of Disney. Well done Alton Towers and I think this years Scarefest event will be the best ever. Thirteen at night and now the fireworks. You can't top this! :clap:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us