The Ultimate Fireworks: 5-7 November 2010

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
e4kenndr

a woman in katanga kabin just said there's 15 mins of pre fireworks then 30 mins of the show! Still can't believe how quiet it is tho might regret sayin that after 4. Are the towersnerd live guys not here today? Anythin interestin from there? Not even gunna try loadin that on my phone lol
James

Hmm, I was told that the pre-show is 20mins and the main show is 20mins. Starting from 6:40pm. :?

The Towers Nerd guys are there, they won't be starting live coverage till 6pm though.
NickT04

[quote=""e4kenndr""]it's quiet as anything! I'm gobsmacked. There's some black mugs in towers trading with the firework logo on but you can see the square transfer thing on them tho so a bit cheapy looking despite them bein 6quid each and excluded from the 3 for 2 on drinkware. Woulda paid 3quid tops.[/quote]

Sounds just like the Scarefest ones. Still I'll purchase one, it's a memory and only £4.80 with an Ap :D.

---- Post Info Added ----

Mugs are like Scarefest ones, just the Fireworks logo and the date and Limited Edition are in orange/red.

As for the Fireworks show itself. Wow. That is all!
jomo1993

Omg, ive never seen anything so amazing (apart from the last fireworks) in my entire life, they were just superb.

There was such a good atmosphere and towers street was buzzing.

Not as many people as expected and i hope it will be rammed for towers's sake tomorrow, and the fireworks come from everywhere - the castle, the lake, the light towers at the back of the crowd, (what seemed like) coaster corner and the buildings in towers street.

Absolutely fantastic is all i can say.
MIND THE DOORS PLEASE

MIND THE DOORS
Joel

My thoughts of it are thus:

- The "pre show" was nothing more than some music playing. And a juggler who appeared amongst the crowd for a few minutes. That was it :-P

- The first half of the show, themed around Th13teen was quite good. Amazing use of lasers and lighting, although fireworks did seem quite slow and quiet to begin with. We did joke that they were "anti noise abatement order" fireworks :-P

- The show also experienced its first fail here - there was a big suspended Th13teen logo that was supposed to go up in flames and glow green, but it failed, completely. Instead it just kinda caught fire a bit and that was it.

- The rest of the show wasn't too bad, based around time travelling through the last 30 years in music. It was ok, they just rammed together various music clips from each era, intersected with some random "clock/time machine" effect by sound and with the lasers.

- There was another couple of fails, including the fireworks on top of the lighting stands in the crowd misfiring at certain points. Nothing too distracting though. We were just being picky and noticing them :-P

- The ending. Deary dear, how do we cover this. It started out with potential, being In The Hall Of The Mountain King. the fireworks were a bit slow, quiet and low during the introduction, and they did pipe up a bit for the crescendo in the music... but it still wasn't quite as furious and frantic as I thought it could have been. Wether this was a fail or not we don't know (particularly as a few stray fireworks were still firing after the music stopped and lights come back up), but I guess we'll find out tomorrow.

So overall my rating of it is ok to good. I like the fact they've tried hard to put on a good show, the lights and lasers were amazing addition to the fireworks, but the fireworks and progression/story line after the Th13teen element seemed a bit wishy washy. Much preferred the previous shows and story lines of. The fireworks in previous years.

Still, we've had the pleasure of scarefest and fireworks this year, so I won't look the gift horse in the mouth and all that.

Well done Towers :-D
NickT04

[quote=""Joel""]
- The "pre show" was nothing more than some awful music playing. And a juggler who appeared amongst the crowd for a few minutes. That was it :-P

[/quote]

Haha, I did think after watching some French bloked slave on the Thirteen for an hour that it would last a lot longer than the 0.75 seconds that it did! Still I can check up on it tomorow and Sunday :D
AstroDan

I pretty much agree with Joel. I really did enjoy the show, but it wasn't the best one I have seen at Towers.

The Th13teen segment was the best part for me, even with the fail at the end of it - and I did love the use of ITHOTMK. However, the fireworks failed to crescendo at the end for some reason. You could tell that the audience expected something a bit more BANG at the end because there was a 10 second lull of silence before anyone started to cheer. I didn't rate the middle 10 minutes really much at all though, just seemed to be a random cheese fest with short clips thrown together.

However, I am not going to over criticize. The average guest would be VERY impressed. I've been to many parks in Europe and the US so clearly am going to be more critical. For the UK it's a very good display. Definitely prefer story based shows (Electric Towers etc.) but this was a good one and I am just really thankful to the whole team that Fireworks are back on the agenda.

What a buzz in the park!

:)
shirehorse

Its a shame so many folks missed tonights display, as the A50 Westbound was closed from around 4pm, with traffic all the way back to the M1 (over turned cattle trailer near Sudbury). Spent near 5 hours not moving far. Quite a few upset kids in cars. I do hope AT will honour tickets tomorrow.
Locker

I actually thought the fireworks were very good last night. I was impressed, especially considering that the display usually isn't as good on the Friday. It may have helped that I was standing back a bit, as I know from previous years that the show actually looses some of it's wow from the front.

There's some clips on our live page - my favourite being the last one, the finale! I certainly think that come Sunday night it'll be a fitting end to the year.

The songs did seem a bit mish-mashed at times, but all in all it was nice and feel good with loads of impressive lasers and some of the finest fireworks in the land!
epcot1982

It sounds absolutely fantastic, what a great ending to one of the best ever seasons at Alton Towers. I can't wait until I visit on Sunday now!

Does anyone know where the fireworks get launched from? I want to make sure that I get the best possible view. Also do you need to arrive early to get a good spot?

See you all on Sunday!
TheJamesS

the fireworks are launced from the other side of the lake just over the bridge from the battle galleons and all the way round to near the hole in one area best place to stand is on towers street to get the full effect id say
also im currently uploading the whole show to you tube il post a link its in 3 parts due to you tubes stupid restrictions also i will only be uploading a part a day so it doesnt spoil the display for anyone visiting this weekend :)

here you go part one

[url=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;][/url]

not sure how to embed if anyone could help !
stretchy

Great video theJamesS
[url=http://"http://www.stretchedmindz.com"]Image[/url]

[url=http://"http://www.secretsantaelf.co.uk"]Image[/url]
James

[quote=""TheJamesS""]the fireworks are launced from the other side of the lake just over the bridge from the battle galleons and all the way round to near the hole in one area best place to stand is on towers street to get the full effect id say
also im currently uploading the whole show to you tube il post a link its in 3 parts due to you tubes stupid restrictions also i will only be uploading a part a day so it doesnt spoil the display for anyone visiting this weekend :)

here you go part one

[url=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;][/url]

not sure how to embed if anyone could help ![/quote]

Seeing that video really makes me wish I could afford to go this weekend. Thanks for uploading! :)
TheJamesS

No problem guys and girls part 2 is ready to go and will be uploaded tonight make sure you comment on it :-) by the way if like me you're lucky enough to have a 3d t.v stick this on it looks like you're there !
Themeparksandy1981

I thought it was very poor for Alton Towers standard. I went to Drayton Manors last Sunday and theres was much better planned out.
I enjoyed the lasers and the fireworks but think it was the choice of music that let it down. Sandstorm was my fav bit of the show with take that/spice girls been the low light.
Also wasn't happy afterwards as we wanted to go and have a bite to ate after wards. KFC was closed and wood cutters were only servicing drinks and the food outlets only the ice cream one was open. Burger king was open but don't like there food didn't go the other areas of the park after and just left after a walk on Rita.
The biggest queue I joined yesterday was for Charlie. 13,Nemesis,Air,Rita and Oblivion was just walk on. Runaway mine train was about 5 min queue.
The only ride that had a queue all day was spinball which had a average of a 45 min queue.
I was the only person on the blade.
NickT04

You get a rep point for bringing a whole new meaning to the term "single rider"
aru

I find it hard to work out how the fireworks last night could be described as "poor" - they were brilliant! Not a massive fan of the music choice but the volume and relentlessness of the fireworks made it a very good show. They must have thrown a lot of money at them this year. :)
Anonymous

I thought the show was pretty awesome actually. I did chat to a few member last night after the show and we all pretty agree, it's nothing on electric towers. But considering it's the only fireworks display ive seen this year, i can't compare it to anything else in 2010.

Even with the few fails that happened, i still thoroughly enjoyed myself; the buzz and atmosphere was second to non.

I was very disappointed with the pre-show, the juggler was a bit rubbish if i'm honest, One of his tenpins wasnt lit up. He dropped it a few times and was only around for a matter of minutes!

The 13 bit was really good, loved the lasers throughout the show. But the travelling through time and listening to 30 years of hits wasn't what i was expecting and was a little disappointed with it (especially some of the god awful songs, MEET cheese!) - The finale didn't go out with a BANG we we're expecting.

But lets be honest, i'm picking fault. The show in general was awesome and i'm sure can't be beatable by anyone locally (although i hear fenton was good). All in all a good performance, especially for joe blogs!
Themeparksandy1981

Before Yesterday I had only been to 1 other Fireworks display at the towers and that was in 1998 which was the Oblivion set which I thought was as good as a display as you get at a Disney park. Then seeing what a family run theme park could do last weekend I was really looking forward to Alton Towers but felt let down. The display was good with lots of fireworks and the lasers worked very well but think it wasn't planned out in time with the music and some of the songs didn't go with the fireworks. At the end the music ended before the fireworks had finished.
Just hope its a better show tonight and tomorrow with more guests on site.
Blaze

What I've seen looks great, but the music was poor, Spice Girls? Come on #-o I kow it's meant to be through the ages, but surely there was a better choice for that year/s? And then I gotta feeling. Why, oh why, Alton, just why? #-o

Was expecting more tributes to rides, particularly Corksrew, was expecting to see the screws appear in firework form, but from the videos I've see so far, it looks like a really great show.

PS Is that Valhalla's music playing during the Thirteen bit?