Alton Towers: What Ever Happened to...?

What rides and attractions do you miss? Share your memories of Alton Towers' extensive past here.
jmc

CoasterCrazyChris wrote: Is there actually a reason why they replaced the tops of the boats? Seemed pointless to me.
As far as I remember for capacity, the old ones had 6 seats, the new have 8.
CoasterCrazyChris

jmc wrote:
CoasterCrazyChris wrote: Is there actually a reason why they replaced the tops of the boats? Seemed pointless to me.
As far as I remember for capacity, the old ones had 6 seats, the new have 8.
Yep, so a completely pointless decision.

You'd be lucky to see a boat on those rapids with 6 people in, let alone 8.
ATJoseph

Q:What ever happend to the New Beast/Alton Beast

It was sold and bought by a park in Mexico where it was placed indoors and called Space Mountain the
tent it was in was blue and yellow simular to The Black Hole's tent.It resided at that park untill 2004
In 2010 it re-opend outdoors in a park in columbia.
SpinballEdders

^ You're correct, Joseph. It now operates in Colombia, previously operating in Mexico :)
Delta79

so what happened to the swans. i remember trying to splash my mates in another swan boat in my youth.
Rowe

The Swans weren't greatly popular at the park, they had very low attendance records, and the attraction was removed in 2003 for Splash Karts.
starbugger1303

The actual swan boats are scattered all over Staffordshire after being sold by the park....

There is one in a garden in Denstone and in Cheadle...

:)
Delta79

shame i did not know the swan boats were up for sale, would of liked one in the garden. but then again the wife would of gone nuts.
DrReeve

as in the toliets noises you mean the cubicles playing fart noises ? (awkward if your in one)
Image credit to Lewis97
JonoD

Whatever happened to the main engine used on the old railway: Altonia?

I know the other two have since gone to other parks, but I've been unable to find out exactly what happened to Altonia. Any ideas?
clayj

Slightly off, but on topic... What ever happend to ATA (http://www.towersalmanac.com/)
[align=center]Image

ɹǝןıɯs ǝɥʇ[/align]
TurboJ

For those wondering what became of Altonia, look no further:
http://www.oldkilnlightrailway.com/1769-altonia.php

So happy to see it not only operational, but with some of its former coaches.
JonoD

Another thing to add on the Altonia front... She'll be pulling trains again this year!

The Old Kiln Light Railway posted a video on their Facebook page of her running in and testing in the past few days.

https://www.facebook.com/OldKilnLightRailway
Fish777

Don't know if someone has already asked this, but what happened to the beastie?
PeteB

DrReeve wrote: as in the toliets noises you mean the cubicles playing fart noises ? (awkward if your in one)
The funny farting soundtrack was removed by some idiot at towers who lacked a sense of humour and was worried that it would offend people.

clayj wrote: Slightly off, but on topic... What ever happend to ATA (http://www.towersalmanac.com/)
Some of the team had some disagreements over the way things were run, others simply grew old and became too busy with their jobs and families and so the site was left SBNO. There was an effort a few months ago to start it up again with all the hype surrounding The Smiler, but nothing further seems to have come of it. Probably better to ask the people involved if you're really that interested. I do think it's a great site and has a lot of value in it, particularly with history stuff.

Therideman11 wrote: Don't know if someone has already asked this, but what happened to the beastie?
It had some Healthy & Safety issues which the park decided not to address and instead closed the ride, leaving it SBNO for quite a while. A large wall was erected around the site with the ride still behind it, but we have heard that as of this season it has finally departed, although the wall around the site still stands.
gaz1313

PeteB wrote:
clayj wrote: Slightly off, but on topic... What ever happend to ATA (http://www.towersalmanac.com/)
Some of the team had some disagreements over the way things were run, others simply grew old and became too busy with their jobs and families and so the site was left SBNO. There was an effort a few months ago to start it up again with all the hype surrounding The Smiler, but nothing further seems to have come of it. Probably better to ask the people involved if you're really that interested. I do think it's a great site and has a lot of value in it, particularly with history stuff.
Someone is using Facebook under the Almanac banner aswell as updating the site. Some of the historic images, ie, the Mouse and the Alton Beast post removal/ moving are great! It was the first Alton Fan site I started with.
awsomelycoolboy

About the submission thing with the un-used arm, when I went to alton towers in 2011 we used the arm that was never usually used! Not sure wether the normal one was broken, so that kinda rules out the whole thing about that it is broken... But then again. That was 3 years ago. But what is suspicious (I haven't yet seen it I persons because I haven't been able to go this season, apparently it is true.) is that Submission isn't on the park map, it seems like it will be leaving the park.
Dan

awsomelycoolboy wrote:About the submission thing with the un-used arm, when I went to alton towers in 2011 we used the arm that was never usually used! Not sure wether the normal one was broken, so that kinda rules out the whole thing about that it is broken... But then again. That was 3 years ago. But what is suspicious (I haven't yet seen it I persons because I haven't been able to go this season, apparently it is true.) is that Submission isn't on the park map, it seems like it will be leaving the park.
Submission has already been removed from the park. There is now a patch of grass where the ride stood but the extended queueline is still in place.
awsomelycoolboy

awsomelycoolboy wrote:
About the submission thing with the un-used arm, when I went to alton towers in 2011 we used the arm that was never usually used! Not sure wether the normal one was broken, so that kinda rules out the whole thing about that it is broken... But then again. That was 3 years ago. But what is suspicious (I haven't yet seen it I persons because I haven't been able to go this season, apparently it is true.) is that Submission isn't on the park map, it seems like it will be leaving the park.

Submission has already been removed from the park. There is now a patch of grass where the ride stood but the extended queueline is still in place.
Thanks for that, I haven't been this season yet and wanted to know if this rumour was true. :D
MRWTHO-AT

Do Alton Towers still have the Bouncing Bugs or have they been sold?
Martin