Alton Towers: What Ever Happened to...?

What rides and attractions do you miss? Share your memories of Alton Towers' extensive past here.
Mi-Nigle

Ha those pictures of the old swimming pool were very nice to look at. A few young memories there!

I seem to remember the changing rooms were quite heavily themed but I can't put my finger on anything specific, was a long time ago!

And I seem to remember going to a couple of kid's discos in the room upstairs. It didn't look anything special really. Painted walls for theming and a few bean bags here and there. And I think they had those big balls you use at the gym for...erm...well I don't actually know, but you know what I mean! :P
towers freak

[quote=""AstroDan""]
Finally, re: Nemesis logo in Area Three of queue - I don't have a photo but shall endeavour to get one sometime this season for old times sake!

:)[/quote]
Saved you a job dan. I remembered seeing it on the TTF June Weekender in June 2008 and remembered spike posting a Pic of it in his meet report. From spike's photobucket i give you the Nemesis logo in Area Three of the queue.

[quote=""Spike's Photobucket""]Image[/quote] :clap: :clap: :clap:
PeteB

When a topic gets too much attention, move it...
Crofty

[quote=""PeteB""]When a topic gets too much attention, move it...[/quote]

Alton Towers Archive

Share your memories of Alton Towers' past here.
It's obviously more suited to [s:3ekt9lru]that[/s:3ekt9lru] this forum.

Regarding the Nemesis sign. Is this the same one that was on the wall next to the loop? I thought it was painted on. Why would they feel the need to take that down anyway?
rollercoaster_crazy

whatever happened to the Swiss Cottage - didn't it used to be a cafe? (I know its still there, but I am more referring to why they stopped using it and what they use it for now?)
XIIIDom

Whatever happened to the Nickelodeon outta control attraction? Would it be correct to say that it was closed only a year after it opened? Is all the theming still in the building - as if I remember its currently not being used for anything? Any chance of it reopening as something else? :?
nickn5

[quote=""rollercoaster_crazy""]whatever happened to the Swiss Cottage - didn't it used to be a cafe? (I know its still there, but I am more referring to why they stopped using it and what they use it for now?)[/quote]

Yes it used to serve 'luncheons and teas' - it closed in 1996 and became a sort of office for the Tussauds Group planners, I believe, for a while.

When I had a sneaky peeky around the place last year most windows had blinds across them, but where you could see in it looked most definitely disused, a few dusty chairs and tables in there, that kind of thing.

I'm sure it could be brought back to life for some useful purpose eventually.

Joe Koopa

[quote=""Squiggles""]
The paddling pool was indeed just filled in. In fact if you're ever stood by the goalstriker game, if you look at the floor you can see where the edges of the paddling pool used to be as there is a large rectangle of slightly different bricks set inside the bricks which used to make up the pavement around the paddling pool.

The Sea Lion pool had much the same fate. When the sealions moved out it was used as a games area for a while (I believe they put some remote control boats in it) and the it was filled in. Sometimes if you're on top of the towers mid summer if you look down to the lawns you can still see the outline of the pool, which sits just below ground level, as the grass on top of its walls goes brown due to lack of nutrients.

[/quote]

Why did these two actually close? Was it when Tussauds first took over they saw them as old-fashioned and were removed, or was it simply saving running water. When did they actually close?
nickn5

Paddling pool closed at the end of 1992, Sea Lions went in 1990. Not sure of the exact reasons why.

richdirk123

Whatever happened to the old Towers Street?
James

[quote=""XIIIDom""]Whatever happened to the Nickelodeon outta control attraction? Would it be correct to say that it was closed only a year after it opened? Is all the theming still in the building - as if I remember its currently not being used for anything? Any chance of it reopening as something else? :?[/quote]

Yep, the attraction opened in 1997 and closed at the end of the 1998 season. If you click here there's a few pictures of what the inside of the building look like in 2007.

I'd assume it's still the same now, it's just used for storage and most of the interior is still intact.

It could most definitely open back up in a few years time as something else, Cloud Cuckoo Land could do with another attraction.

[quote=""richdirk123""]Whatever happened to the old Towers Street?[/quote]
I'm not 100% sure but I believe when Tussauds took over the park(early 90s I think?) the management decided to vastly change the look of Towers Street. Shame really, the old Towers Street looked much better and by looking at pictures seems to have had a much better atmosphere.
jomo1993

I think towers street was re-themed to its current design around 1993-1994.

All of the info you need is on the towers times towers street page in the rides section :D
MIND THE DOORS PLEASE

MIND THE DOORS
[Archive]

Whatever happened to this theming from Nemesis? Is it still there but hidden in a disused part of the queue? Though, it looks like it backed on to the station because the back wall looks like the monster's side. Was it removed?

Also, did Nemesis have its blood waterfalls added later? There are a few early photos that show the first drop with no water and simply some rocks. However this could just be during testing or for a promotional opening... :-k

Then

Now
dont look down 2005

[quote=""electricBlll""]Whatever happened to this theming from Nemesis? Is it still there but hidden in a disused part of the queue? Though, it looks like it backed on to the station because the back wall looks like the monster's side. Was it removed?

[/quote]

Having stood next to it for the last three years when I worked there, I can confirm that some of the 'kitchen' theming remains. It's located at the merge point where fasttrack joins the main queue. If you look under where the track comes out of the station, there you will find it, but it's not as much as used to be and to be honest it looks a bit of a state.

As for the waterfalls, I personally thought they were always there, but those pictures seem to suggest not.

On a side note, doesn't nemmy look bare on those pictures!
NF2

IIRC those photos were taken not long after opening and simply show the waterfalls on a day they were switched off. But as its literally a few weeks into the rides opening, you cannot tell that they are there due to the lack of weathering on the rock. They have definitely always been there though, this photo is from the soft opening day and you can see the Red dye has not yet been added, which was added for the offcial opening:

PeteB

[quote=""richdirk123""]Whatever happened to the old Towers Street?[/quote]

It's still there, you see it everytime you visit. It's only had minor changes of the years. I dislike at the moment how theres only shops on one side, Towers Street has some great potential. Personally I think they need to remove YourGay and open up shops all along that side of the street.

The Swiss Cottage, again dissapointing that it closed and another nail in the coffin for the gardens I think. The gardens are so unappreciated by the GP, Alton should invest and make it more of an attraction, including reopening of the cottage.

Also, nice to see this topic has been made sticky! :D
Farquaad

Whatever happened to this:

[url=http://www.towerstimes.co.uk/attraction ... me0007.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.towerstimes.co.uk/attraction ... me0007.jpg[/url]

never seen it before, is it something they just gave up on? shame if so seen as the tunnels pretty bare.
jomo1993

[quote=""Farquaad""]Whatever happened to this:

[url=http://www.towerstimes.co.uk/attraction ... me0007.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.towerstimes.co.uk/attraction ... me0007.jpg[/url]

never seen it before, is it something they just gave up on? shame if so seen as the tunnels pretty bare.[/quote]

The bath has always been there, its just before the duck. They have fixed it this year so its now like a fountain and a shower, getting you a bit more wet :D
MIND THE DOORS PLEASE

MIND THE DOORS
Farquaad

Ok what happened to the guy in the Ship in the Hotel in the crowsnest.

He's supposed to ring the bell on the hour or whenever but when I went his arm stops just before it hits the bell. Is this purposely or did they stop it because it woke everyone up.
James

[quote=""Farquaad""] Ok what happened to the guy in the Ship in the Hotel in the crowsnest.

He's supposed to ring the bell on the hour or whenever but when I went his arm stops just before it hits the bell. Is this purposely or did they stop it because it woke everyone up.[/quote]

He is still in the crows nest and still rings the bell every hour. It was working perfectly fine last week. It might have been like that on your visit due to being broken(obviously). :)