Water Park Opening Hour Changes & More

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Coke

According to the man on the phone I spoke to the Master Blaster is getting new queue refurbishments and new management systems so as you said ATR it actually probably just means new barriers or fences which thinking about it has already happened. Shame about no hosts on Rush & Rampage though, even if it means I can just go down backwards more often now! :lol:

Are you thirsty?
oldgitBEN

last weekend I noticed that there were no staff on rush and rampage and it really annoyed me tbh.

There was a family trying to race each other, blatently ignored the lighting system to get down together and queue jumped about 6 other guests. Yes it means they were very bloody rude but if staff were there it wouldnt have happened.
Another issue I noticed was that children below the 1.1 height were being sent down by the adults who presumably had picked up the rings, its a bit late for the life guard at the end to tell them off isnt it.
Basically what a crap and potentially dangerous move.

Staff contracts changing? limited hours? failed marketing campaign? No new rides ever? whats that smell on the horizon? Closure?
well maybe not closure but the future sure isnt looking bright
Snorlix

Hmm, as has already been mentioned this rules out visiting the waterpark after work, when you could get 2 - 3 hours in the water. And also the Friday night hotel visit I was planning when the theme park re-opens, with waterpark on the Friday and theme park on the Saturday.

So thats my hotel business gone then - well done Alton, great decision. It might apparently save money cutting the hours, but it might also help to lose income longer term!
Mattia

Awful stuff. I loved going to the Waterpark after a day themeparking it.

If they want to cut down hours surely it would have made more sense to open later in the day but close at least two hours after the park closes to give hotel guests more of a resort offering!

So, what are we left with? One actually decent show (ATH) and then other crappy things they call entertainment, two bars and then a golf course? Wow, I can't wait to visit a busy Marg/Dragon bar, a busy golf course and talk to some bored guests who have nothing really to do after park hours...

Also, extending park hours when it gets lighter outside? They have powerlights in the main area and lets face it - the outdoor pools aren't that amazing. I've always thought the waterpark shut too early - even at 7. The indoor area should be open much later - not have it's hours cut. It's got the facilities to be open later so why close it earlier?

And what improvements? Adding another themed ring to the master blaster queue? It's got enough thanks, try adding some new attractions to the frickin' place.
CoasterCrazyChris

[quote=""Mattia""]Awful stuff. I loved going to the Waterpark after a day themeparking it.

If they want to cut down hours surely it would have made more sense to open later in the day but close at least two hours after the park closes to give hotel guests more of a resort offering!

So, what are we left with? One actually decent show (ATH) and then other crappy things they call entertainment, two bars and then a golf course? Wow, I can't wait to visit a busy Marg/Dragon bar, a busy golf course and talk to some bored guests who have nothing really to do after park hours...

Also, extending park hours when it gets lighter outside? They have powerlights in the main area and lets face it - the outdoor pools aren't that amazing. I've always thought the waterpark shut too early - even at 7. The indoor area should be open much later - not have it's hours cut. It's got the facilities to be open later so why close it earlier?

And what improvements? Adding another themed ring to the master blaster queue? It's got enough thanks, try adding some new attractions to the frickin' place.
[/quote]

Totally agree.

It seems they are really trying to push the waterpark as a day destination in itself, but being honest, as much as a good attraction it is I reckon at least 99% of people would rather spend another full day at the park. And as mentioned, then retire to Cariba in the evenings for a couple of hours.

A step in the wrong direction... :(
Coke

[quote=""oldgitBEN""]
Another issue I noticed was that children below the 1.1 height were being sent down by the adults who presumably had picked up the rings, its a bit late for the life guard at the end to tell them off isnt it.
[/quote]

Under 1.1m can now ride Rush & Rampage at parent's discretion with the new smaller rings with a parent or guardian.
Last edited by Coke on Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Are you thirsty?
ATR09

[quote=""Coke""][quote=""oldgitBEN""]
[/quote]

Under 1.1m can now ride Rush & Rampage at parent's discretion with the new smaller rings[/quote]

No, as said above, under 1.1m can go down, but only on the knee of an adult over the age of 18.
Coke

I will be making use of the 9pm close in the summer, which is nice, but still nothing compared to 10pm back in the good old days when tickets were included with a hotel, and when the waterpark was always quiet and exclusive...

Are you thirsty?
AstroDan

I think it's quite clear that money is not easy to come by for the Water Park... with all these cuts, and staffing cuts, it seems that life isn't easy at the moment. It's a shame, because they're going to actually deter some people from visiting at all - such as me.

I literally can only see myself making 1 or 2 visits in 2010. Friday evening visits in January are ruled out now as the place is closed too.

I think I may pop an email in, this is really dissapointing news. As a regular Water park go-er, they'e snatching it away from me!

:(
Hark

Well, what a Christmas surprise this is.

Very dissappointed with this Alton... as said above - random Fridays evenings were a good way to end the week having a swim... Now that is no longer possible. Aswell as on some occasions with theme park visits, refreshing for an hour or two after park close to loosen up a little bit, will not really be possible.

I hope the reduced price will still be operating next year and at an earlier time to compensate for the loss of hours.

It really doesn't look good for the Waterpark - firstly they rarely seem to open Flash Floods after 3PM, then the sudden appearance of the 'Imperial Leather' sponsorship on the tipping bucket, and more recently on all of the rings for all of the slides and now the reduced hours.

As Astro has said as a regular 'waterparker' myself it is really going to push on my visits to the waterpark, especially as I will have Friday afternoons off next semester.

Looks like Water-world may become my regular swimming hole if this is the case :'(
Coke

[quote=""Hark""]
Looks like Water-world may become my regular swimming hole if this is the case :'([/quote]

Shock! How could you?! :lol:

Seriously though Waterworld is a bit of a hole tbh. The only think I like is the Space Bowl but the other flumes are OK and Nucleus is alright but not a touch on Master Blaster. But don't get me started on the changing rooms!
Last edited by Coke on Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Are you thirsty?
AstroDan

Water World is actually nowhere near as bad as it used to be. I went the other week, and whilst it wasn't as spick and span as say Alton Towers', it wasn't awful. The three main slides (Supaflume, Black Hole & Python) have been re-covered, there was new surfacing on the stairs too.

But at £3.99 for an evening admission on a Friday till '9pm... you can see what it has over Alton...
Coke

I know it's good value and Cariba would be if they priced themselves more around £8 and opened longer. Water World is great value though and I LOVE the Spacebowl! I haven't been since May. Astro is parking free ATM?

Are you thirsty?
AstroDan

Car Parking is free at Water World.
Hark

Waterworld is not as bad as people make out to be these days. I hear it does have a bad reputation but it is closer to me than Alton Towers - therefore saving on 'commuting' costs, for £3.99 on a Friday, much cheaper than Alton Towers and also now open longer than Alton Towers.

If the hours of Alton Towers were to remain the same, then I would of course make the extra effort to visit as I find it a better place to swim, but I won't make the effort for little or no time in the pool for closing.

If closing early was to improve the waterpark (ie they are adding and renovating areas), this could be understandable - but there seems to be no reason for the reduced hours apart from Staffing Costs...
AstroDan

The Spa has also seen hours cut. It used to open till 8 daily, now it's 6pm in the week and only 8pm on Friday.

Mass budget cutting at the secondary attractions it appears.
Big Dave

To be more like a "Resort" they need to be aiming at opening the waterpark and spa as much as possible and adding to the line up they offer hotel guests. They need to offer food pretty much 24/7, night entertainment should be much better, all rooms should get proper room service and they should make more things inclusive such as a pass for "included" waterpark access and a "included" pass for the park.

It just seems odd that Alton Towers have tried sooo hard at marketing themselves as a resort, a complete package, only to them take a huge step backwards by reducing resort offerings, limiting entertainment and eating times and then splitting up tickets and making you have to pay for each attraction separately.

Ok I understand paying extra for the none essential things like the spa or extraordinary golf, but other things should be included in the package.
Last edited by Big Dave on Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shanem345

It seems as if there trying to save money on running and staff costs by cutting down the operating hours, which might save them money but doesnt keep the customers happy.

Its a step in the wrong direction [-X
teddlesking

I work there for god sake so the cut on the hours is a real loss..especially at the economic state at the moment.

I agree with everything your saying..ESPECIALLY about no new attraction in 7 years...

it needs sorting out and i might pop in to see some people about it :)

Sorry about you two not coming so regulary now..disapointing really that we loose some guests just because of cut backs.. but a 15million pound something or other has just been built so..
ATR09

[quote=""AstroDan""]The Spa has also seen hours cut. It used to open till 8 daily, now it's 6pm in the week and only 8pm on Friday.

Mass budget cutting at the secondary attractions it appears.[/quote]

Just for information. The Spa's opening times have not changed. They remain open until 8.30pm everyday.

The calendar on the website was incorrectly edited.