Scarefest: 16-31 October 2010 [NO SPOILERS]

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
kingbling11

The question now is where will the boiler house be?
Mattchu_19

[quote=""kingbling11""]The question now is where will the boiler house be?[/quote]

Where it normally is?

What i do not understand is if the building in Car Park J is just one maze then why hasn't the other structure/maze been put up yet?
tori_swift

Is it possible they're just getting the inside structure ready and could put a big top over it at some point?

Not very educated at how big tops are put up so I don't know if that would work :hwhat:
kingbling11

[quote=""Mattchu_19""][quote=""kingbling11""]The question now is where will the boiler house be?[/quote]

Where it normally is?

What i do not understand is if the building in Car Park J is just one maze then why hasn't the other structure/maze been put up yet?[/quote]

They certainly are cutting it fine if they've left it this late.
DiogoJ42

It would be very tricky to erect a big top over an existing structure. They have to lay the main trusses flat on the ground, then haul them up to vertical. Then the tent is pulled up the trusses from the floor. (I think)
[Archive]

Who says they can't just create a frontage? Renting a full-sized big top would be too costly when all it is going to do is act as a facade.
Dormiens-Dave

Two things

Guest Services are not always hot on exactly what is going on in the resort side of the resort, and the message was very vague so i doubt we really have an answer there.

As for other contruction there is no evidence of work anywhere else on the resort grounds, where the picture was taken of the entrance tunnells, the field site was right behind me and there was no evidence of work.
Voke

I'm starting to get worried now. Aren't they cutting abit fine with the Boiler House? I would of thought they would have started construction on it by now. Its took about a week for the COS structure to get where it is now.
Mattchu_19

I hope this isn't the case but i'm starting to think that there is still a chance both mazes are going to be under the same roof! There are too many things are pointing towards both mazes under the one structure!

I hope i am proved wrong though! I think it would be a mistake too try and put both mazes under that one structure!
Voke

It can be possible, but due to the email from the EVENT staff, i'm not sure in what too think. We all know that some staff can sometime be left out in the blue,but these people organise the event, there not just Customer Service. But as its the only tent which is erected at the moment im starting to get abit confused. But I suppose there is still an ounce of time left. I guess time will tell :hsmile:
militantcoasterfan

I have been following this on my phone today, hence the update about the clowns at the Resort entrance, and I have been told by a staff member that the Boiler House will be situated in Splash Landing basement, below the Waterpark. Interesting stuff.
MILITANT COASTER FAN 1981
Dormiens-Dave

People forget that quite a lot of maze can be fitted into a small space.

Last years boilerhouse was in a building half the size of the one this years and possibly a bit smaller (look at google earth and see the clearing it was in. And last year a lot of the building was taken up with the introduction to the maze before anything major began to happen.

Field looked huge but the actual utilised space was very small, it just took a long time as it was story driven. We dont know what we are getting, i think people should chill and wait to see what happens
Voke

But they have advertised it as "bigger and better" this year, so i get the impression it's a single maze. But as Alton have said, Carnival Of Screams will take place in a funhouse, not a circus style tent, so im guessing it wouldn't need that much room :herrrm:
SAM93

[quote=""militantcoasterfan""]I have been following this on my phone today, hence the update about the clowns at the Resort entrance, and I have been told by a staff member that the Boiler House will be situated in Splash Landing basement, below the Waterpark. Interesting stuff.[/quote]

Not meaning to put a downer on things, but I highly doubt that the Boiler House will be below the Waterpark. I really cant imagine there being any space down there... or how on earth it would be accessed with ease? Though if this were to be the case, it would explain the lack of construction we are currently seeing.

Looking back through last year's Scarefest topic, the building for the boiler house was up and complete by the 27th of September. So around a similar time to what we are seeing this year with the Car Park J structure.

But on the topic of the Big-Top... The description is a fun house, so I am tending to think there will be no traditional Circus tent, and that it is for more likely that the carnival will be in the current building on car park J.
[Archive]

The "bigger and better" thing is simply a marketing phrase and does not necessarily mean anything. As far as we know, Boiler House may even be smaller and worse than last year. That type of marketing rarely has much fact in it; it is deliberately atention-grabbing but also vague.

Like has been said, let's just wait and see... :hgrin:
Dormiens-Dave

Just had confirmation from Alton Towers that the structure is for both mazes.

Apparently the structure is 3 times the size of last years boiler house building
Mattchu_19

Really? Well i just hope they can pull it off, i still think having both mazes together is going to look and feel a bit werid having two themes for one building!

Only time will tell i guess :hwiggle:
Vik

From the photographs the structure does appear to be small. But to be fair, when stood by it, it is fairly big. We came to the conclusion when we were looking at it a couple of weeks ago that both mazes would be in there. Kind of hoping it wouldn't be, and it would be for Carnival of Screams only, but as Dave mentioned, it is three times the size of last years Boiler House building.

Done properly, a lot of scares can be had in such a limited space. My only gripe would be is that we are being asked to pay £10 for what will be fairly small mazes. On the plus side, the thru-puts should be a lot better than The Field the last few years, and the focus will be on creating constant scares as opposed to walking through a creepy Corn field for ages fearing something may be about to happen.
Sent from my ZX81 via Time Travel

James

I don't think two mazes in the one structure is bad at all. It is hard to imagine that two mazes and a rumoured bar all in that one structure, but I think Alton can pull it off. I'll draw up some quick sketches tomorrow of how I think they could clash the both themes, but keep them as separate, distinct mazes(bit hard to explain in words).

A big top would've been nice, but it makes sense money wise to just have two mazes in one structure rather than hiring two different structures which would most likely cost more. After all there is the fireworks this year and they might have had to make cuts here and there to tie the money over everything else. Or I could be wrong.
militantcoasterfan

Where has this rumour of the bar in the mazes come from? A little silly considering the location being 100 yards away from a bar that I believe most people on here have been to at least once!

Will the carnival be affected by today's protest?

In terms of owl costumes, they can be a nightmare if home made. I had a friend make one once it was difficult but he had a hoot at the party.
MILITANT COASTER FAN 1981