Scarefest: 16-31 October 2010 [NO SPOILERS]

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Mr P

I see what they are doing, they a messing with our heads! Building the tension, filling our minds with happy event's like celebrations and concerts. The time will come when the marketing becomes darker, more sinister, ready for scarefest...
Dean

There has been a Scarefest poster in the monorail board by the entrance since opening day, they only have to advertise the event around the park until nearer the time, as this will tell guests the event is going ahead...
Khrank

Who's planning to go to Scarefest this year so far?
I really want to go! Just don't know how i'm gonna get there, im from Lichfield, Staffordshire.
First meet!
tristan_uk

Yeah im going for sure, its the best time of year to go if you can hit it on a weekday. Went last 2 years running and it was a blast. Well worth the trip from Belfast!
Mick

I'm going on 21st and 22nd October - the first week on weekdays, so hopefully it won't be jam packed (until the Friday night of course...). The rides are open until 9pm anyway, and I may consider buying fast track scream+ (unlimited priority rides on Nemesis, Air, Oblivion).

It'll be my first Scarefest, so I'm really looking forward to it. In fact, it'll be my first time at AT during an event since the Cadbury's Concert of Year in 1994. That day was appalling! We got on three rides! Nemesis had a four hour queue! I expect this to be better than that, and will be happy enough if it is :)

I've read about the problem with masks, but other than that, do people generally dress up? I think it would be fun to do so.
There\'s plenty of room at the bottom!
AstroDan

Mick - the Mon-Thu weekdays are usually VERY quiet at Scarefest. I usually go one evening and there are never queue's more than 5-10 minutes. A Scream+ just wouldn't be worth it. Even TOTT was 5 minutes last year come 7pm.
cmpunk771

A few people Dress up, I like to dress up so you are not the only one but fingers crossed they dont ban masks this year [-o<
PeteB

You have to dress up for Scarefest, it should be the law! Though hairy muff if you're on your own but any groups larger than 2+ should be getting into the fun, it's the one time of the year and one of the few places in the UK where you can really celebrate halloween! :D
Mattia

[quote=""cmpunk771""]A few people Dress up, I like to dress up so you are not the only one but fingers crossed they dont ban masks this year [-o<[/quote]

Masks have always been banned and will always be banned, it goes against their family friendly policy and is completely understandable. Just be creative. A face and make-up can sometimes be better than a mask. ;)
AltonThorpe

I have to agree with Alton banning the masks, a few years ago some chavs were walking through the route from Forbidden Valley to Gloomy Wood, they were shouting in people's faces, and generally being threatening, I know there are actors around the park that do that but they scare people for fun and it is all a bit of a joke, but when people are being rude and horrible for their own reputation with their friends etc., it just isn't nice...
England 38-21 New Zealand - 1st December 2012

Twickenham Stadium
spike1911

They certainly need more actors on park. Family friendly scary pirates, victorian gentlemen parading around the haunted hollow would all work well
Mattia

They have been trying to address this actor availability issue but the way they rota works means it just doesn't seem to happen. Park wide is a touchy one, it won't happen any time soon, especially now with the budget cuts.

But, TOTT is there now, it's matured beautifully and with a few tweaks to scenes and storyline it really doesn't need more investment. Boiler needs to be keep the same, just with another storyline to keep it fresh and maybe a few enhancements. The new maze is the one which should get the most attention and investment and I would love a fourth attraction in the park. Will they happen though? I doubt it. But I do feel the park need to get the offering of attractions between the "resort side" and the "park side" balanced reasonably before they concentrate on actor walkabouts. :)

I really don't think this year will be "The Year Of Scarefest". The Ultimate Fireworks, the various celebrations and mini-events and the budget cuts all point to me seeing this as a Scarefest season with little change or new additions.
AstroDan

Wraiths / Actors around Dark Forest and the Field of 1000 Screams replacement may have to do this year, I feel. Although I still believe there's a major imbalance of attractions on the park - as mentioned last year, the cuts on what is "on park" is staggering since Scarefest's debut in 2007. Out have gone Fright Lights, Pumpkin Patch, Re-jigged live shows and Haunted Hollow Live and in has come only Duel Live!

Still... I can live in hope!
Tonka_UK

I have never been to a Scarefest at Alton Towers in the past so I cannot really comment on this year compared to 2007, but I hope it's still a blast.

The main factor for me is the rides being open 'till 9pm, I really want to ride Nemesis in the dark.
Is the 31st the busiest day? It falls on a sunday, too.
AstroDan

Busiest day is usually the last Saturday - this year the 30th.

:)
spike1911

Its best to go midweek. Make sure you get front row on Nemesis around 8.30 :D
Mattia

Yeah, I agree, the Field replacement will be the only new attraction I feel and the only place of interactivity will be the Dark Forest becoming live with actors and Hex live. :)

It's such a shame as it really is the part of the year for the Ents team to shine. But what with the fireworks and various events making entertainments one of the busiest teams this year I can understand (and also keep going on with my campaign for a bigger, better ents team :P).
FallenAbyss

What I'm curious to see is where the replacement for FO1000S will go, as the field has now been planted over with grass, it might make more sense to place the mazes down in the overflow car park next to adventure golf or maybe even inside the park (which I'd welcome more than anything) as it would increase footfall, customer awareness and ultimately profits.

Personally I cant see them placing Boiler House and the Replacement inside the park is they're two less attractions that they can charge for but would be interested to hear other peoples opinions.
Mattia

I simply can't see them putting them into the parks sadly, they would want to make a profit from them like they have the past three events so there's no stopping them now. I doubt they would pop them in the car parks due to guest attendance reaching high levels and thus, needing the space. The mazes are mentioned and clearly shown on the maps so guest awareness is kinda made, but obviously not the extent as you mean and I agree fully with you.

I reckon they could well move the Field replacement maze to another location but I reckon they would keep the boiler in pretty much the same area. If this new maze is the twisted circus idea then they could really go to town on how they draw the audience in, the twisted possibilities are pretty fantastic. :D
Chris W

If the rumoured circus idea is true then there is no reason why it cannot be in same place as the F1000S. Its a good location for the hotels. And any other hotel maze would probably be in a marquee in this location anyway.
Its always seemed to me that the hotel mazes are a lower capacity compared with TOTT and therefore have a different feel to them. They have a certain charm to them.

I'd like a 2nd park maze but not replacing one of the mazes at the hotels. In an ideal world I'd like 2 on-park mazes and 2 hotel mazes.