2010: Sonic Spinball

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Khanage

I seriously hope this is true. The Spinball theme for me has always been just a little too fairground for me, it just has no personality to it. The queueline is horrible and the noisy games are very annoying and/or never work.

I am looking forward to whatever AT has in store if these rumours are true. :D
Thanks to Adzy for the sig & av.

NickT04

It's the only Spinball merchandise I've ever seen haha. But your right, they could just be flogging it. 50p really is a get it out quick price given that medals are 3 for £10. I just made the 2 + 2 etc. routine because of the rumour :D

Loving the underground idea Evo, it would certainly help with that shaking section! I think the reason it was just plonked there was it was part of the Tussads era, where much like Rita, it was a quick fix.
Bubbaride

Tbh I think spinball is fine as it is. I have alwayls liked the theme and how the ride is and for some reason they shinny balls lol.

Ok this may sound ramdom or not... But has anyone thought of them moving the black hole tent to were spinball is and make it fit?
CoasterCrazyChris

[quote=""Evostance""]They could move it into the Blackhole Tent and retheme it. Could be like some sort of out of control space mission then.

Could be fairly cool[/quote]

I'm sorry to keep going on about this, but X-Sector has nothing to do with space.

And to be quite honest, unless they are pulled off properly, most of the time space themes end up looking absolutely dire.

Space mission type rides are good, but unless they are pulled off properly (which only Disney have really shown they can) they don't really work at all.

As for someone elses idea for turning the whole of X-Sector into an area that is supposed to be space...this is Staffordshire guys; not mars. Stick a tent over the area and your sorted, why not stick a few fibreglass planets on sticks as well hey... :x

Sorry that this post has come out in a slightly rude manner, but Alton Towers will never pull off anything to do with space (this wasn't directly aimed at you Evostance, I know you were only talking about a space mission like attraction).

:)
AltonThorpe

Is is meant to be about space? I always thought it was meant to be some sort of secret facility. :?
England 38-21 New Zealand - 1st December 2012

Twickenham Stadium
James6

I may be completely wrong, but isn't Spinball Whizzer supposed to open for the February Half Term event thing?
If you go down to the Towers today, you\'d better ride Th13teen. :P
kingda dude

spinball can't be put in the black hole tent because the tent is a good ten feet too short at the tallest point and is the wrong shape.
"The Marmalisation Process has been scientifically designed to ensure a sense of euphoria and satisfaction should be had by all... There are no, known, Long Term side effects to the Marmalisation process, however short term side effects may include: dizziness, vomiting, loss of balance, loss of limb control, feinting, wild hallucinations but most importantly Smiles!"
A5H

I reckon AT should just sell Spinball and use the money for something else :P
I actually do not like that ride atall :| That space could be used for so much else :!:
As for RITA... The Queen of Speed doesn't really sound right for a gloomy themed area which may be the theming with SW6.

Perhaps something like Speed Demon :?:
NickT04

[quote=""A5H""]I reckon AT should just sell Spinball and use the money for something else :P
[/quote]

The mystery behind Drayton's 2010 coaster is solved! :P
DomB

[quote=""NickT04""][quote=""A5H""]I reckon AT should just sell Spinball and use the money for something else :P
[/quote]

The mystery behind Drayton's 2010 coaster is solved! :P [/quote]

Are they even getting a coaster in 2010 anymore.
Anyway, regarding Spinball's rename/retheme, I don't think it needs one.
First things first, it needs to be moved.
NickT04

[quote=""Fabregased""][quote=""NickT04""][quote=""A5H""]I reckon AT should just sell Spinball and use the money for something else :P
[/quote]

[/quote]

No idea to be honest. I made my once in a decade trip there in March. :D
FallingStar

Maybe they will just rename Spinball Whizzer to Spinball. Its much more modern and just generally better.
DomB

[quote=""FallingStar""]Maybe they will just rename Spinball Whizzer to Spinball. Its much more modern and just generally better.[/quote]

You could have a good idea.

There aren't really any names they could change it to, without changing the theme.
A5H

[quote=""NickT04""][quote=""Fabregased""][quote=""NickT04""][quote=""A5H""]I reckon AT should just sell Spinball and use the money for something else :P
[/quote]

[/quote]

No idea to be honest. I made my once in a decade trip there in March. :D [/quote]

I certainly hope Drayton Manor don't get Spinball :| URGH! such a horrible ride :P
spleenharvester

I wish they did, DM are my local theme park (being about 45mins out) and they really need more rides imo.
A5H

[quote=""spleenharvester""]I wish they did, DM are my local theme park (being about 45mins out) and they really need more rides imo.[/quote]

Im litteraly like 20 mins from Drayton Manor :P
I own a fansite for the theme park too, but i don't think that ride would be the correct move for the theme park, there are better rollercoasters and thrill rides which could be bought imo.
spleenharvester

Depends on the price though, Spinball was £3.5m whereas installations such as Rita are about £10m IIRC.
Johno

Anyone else thinking they're removing it due to SW6 being a 'replacement' for it, in the respect that its a family coaster?

I would say that Adventure Land is the next area in need of desperate change.
Vik

Spinball isn't moving anywhere, it will simply be having a retheme at the very best. Also, it is open for Feb 1/2 term.
Sent from my ZX81 via Time Travel

Chris W

I would like to see Spinball Whizzer/Adventureland encorporated into Storybook Land or Old MacDonalds Farm.
Adventureland is basically just "Generic-Land".

The retheme will probably be minimal, but I'd guess that it would consist of a repaint to help it blend a bit better into the natural surroundings.