2010: Sonic Spinball

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Big C

Over head restraints on spinball? GOD NO! They would kill your shoulders everytime the car jolts (it does that alot!) It's not exactly an extreme ride honestly! The restraints are fine as they are...

Can we get back on topic?

I would re - theme spinball into a storybook land ride like an escaping squirrel or something like that; maybe just for the kids?
Secret submission lover.
Who doesn't love that comfy piece of chance?

I am a brass band nerd, deal with it!
CoasterCrazyChris

Spinball Whizzer is blatently suited to a more light-hearted theme than a full on one!

:)
SonicTheHedgehog

See you next year...
Gloomy Dude

I know I've used this before, but I can't help myself :roll:
For some things there is no rational explanation. There is no way out. There is no happy ending to this story. Welcome to the unknown. Welcome to eternal darkness.

Welcome to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - The Ride
[Archive]

SonicTheHedgeHog? What kind of reaction were you thinking of getting with this spam?

[quote=""Gullible Chav""]wikid lik sonic wil be orsum nxt year1 wikid spnball wiza getin a re-thme wikd.[/quote]
James

Where's the boo button when you need it!

:roll:
SonicTheHedgehog

Hey,

Don't be so quick to dismiss...

A new Sonic/Sega themed hotel suite is also in the works.

Make up your own minds, but it's defiantly happening folks...
Vik

Remember the Report button Chaps. :D

Merged from seperate topic.
Sent from my ZX81 via Time Travel

AstroDan

There have been rumours already in the past couple of months, so a little more to stoke the fire.

A Spinball retheme would be great, and I love Sonic although previous rumours were more around Mario etc.

Gloomy Dude

I'm very torn on the prospect of a Sonic re-theme. I think it would be very cool and would inevitably mean Adventure Land got a snazzy video-game based spruce up.

However, do we really want Alton to go for the big corporate bucks when it comes to themeing? I have always admired their way with generally creating original themes for their attractions. I know Spinball as it stands comes in for a lot of stick, but I find it charming. The surrounding area certainly needs seen to, but nothing more.
For some things there is no rational explanation. There is no way out. There is no happy ending to this story. Welcome to the unknown. Welcome to eternal darkness.

Welcome to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - The Ride
AstroDan

Sonic is awesome. Also, there's a new Sonic game out next year.

Sonic is also classic Alton Towers! From 1992 to 2005 he was a mainstay in Toyland Tours. I wonder if they kept the model of him?

Toyland Tours:

Photo (C) ATA.
Vik

[quote=""Gloomy Dude""]I'm very torn on the prospect of a Sonic re-theme. I think it would be very cool and would inevitably mean Adventure Land got a snazzy video-game based spruce up.

However, do we really want Alton to go for the big corporate bucks when it comes to themeing? I have always admired their way with generally creating original themes for their attractions. I know Spinball as it stands comes in for a lot of stick, but I find it charming. The surrounding area certainly needs seen to, but nothing more.[/quote]

Agreed. I was hoping that Alton had steered away from in your face type of sponsorship. But on the other hand, Spinball is in some need of a spruce up. There can't be a great deal left in the budget after SW6, so maybe it is the lesser of the two evils?

Also, if it does happen, then they can have a re-themed ride which is marketed towards the family side of things, as well SW6 marketed towards the thrill seekers.

So a win win situation?

Oh, and of course Spinball can appear on the 2010 map as NEW! :lol:

towers freak

[quote=""AstroDan""]
Sonic is also classic Alton Towers! From 1992 to 2005 he was a mainstay in Toyland Tours. .[/quote]
How could have Sonic been in Toyland Tours from 1992 when the attraction didn't open until 1994.
Last edited by towers freak on Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Dave

There is not time to pull it off, unless its already happening and no one noticed, but where are the photos, where are the planning apps for new themeing. Nothing seems to be happening and if it hasnt started by now, then there is no way its going to be done before start of season.
Khanage

As I have said before I welcome with open arms a Spinball retheme. I would also welcome a retheme in the form of Sonic the Hedgehog as he is my all time favourite video game character. However, this seems very unlikely. If it was 1992 then maybe I would believe this but in 2009 when the Sonic franchise has been overrun in recent years with underwhelming releases, I am inclined to take this with a pinch of salt.

However, as we all know the gaming industry is now bigger than Hollywood and game licensing is big bucks so maybe this could be true. After all as AstroDan pointed out we have Project Needlemouse to look forward to next year which is very likely to reignite the Sonic franchise and if Sega are willing to pump money into the marketing of this game by sponsoring a theme park ride then this rumour could have a ring of truth about it.
Thanks to Adzy for the sig & av.

Vik

[quote=""Big Dave""]There is not time to pull it off, unless its already happening and no one noticed, but where are the photos, where are the planning apps for new themeing. Nothing seems to be happening and if it hasnt started by now, then there is no way its going to be done before start of season.[/quote]

Indeed, nothing had been done from what was seen at the weekend. Though they are selling Spinball medals for 50p, rather than £4 :D

But having said that, it shouldn't take that long to do a repaint and a retheme? Theres not that much to retheme anyway. :P

If there are plans though, they still beter get their skates on, after all, it is open Feb 1/2 term.

Khanage

Would they need planning permission for a retheme?
Thanks to Adzy for the sig & av.

Big Dave

^^ If they plan on sticking a 15ft tall Sonic somewhere then yes more than likely. Also any modifications to the trains would need to be cleared not only by the ride manufacture but also health and safety.
Johno

I can't see much happening tbh.

Especially when it's leaving the park in the mid term anyway.
Bote

[quote=""Johno""]I can't see much happening tbh.

Especially when it's leaving the park in the mid term anyway.[/quote]

Is it? Anyway, I wonder what Sega have to say about this. I would of thought that they would be screaming about it online for a bit of advertising. But thus far I've seen zilch.

Just how much are Alton planning on spending this season? We've got SW6, Ugland+Rita, Spinball retheme, Corkscrew art work (tbc). Lets face it thats a hell of a lot of cash. Plus Spinball wouldn't be as cheap as new signs, facades, soundtrack ect. Sega will want a nice wad for the licencing and title rights.