2010: Sonic Spinball

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Dormiens-Dave

I like the look of Sonic Spinball and if the unsubstantiated rumours are true of further theming additions next season then all the better

As a side note before taking our last ride on sunday two techies where looking at the second to last block break (the one before the helix), we thought nothing of it but when riding that particular block break didn;t slow the car down at all and "by eck" did the car fly around the helix, most fun.
Skumfidus

From my side the moaning is the fact that it looks like a cheap travelling fair...it looks like they're using the image of Sonic on a few plastic signs, an average sized model and on stickers on the sides of the cars...with no real tie in to a story or any specific theme.

I won't argue that the ride itself looks much better, I just think that I would prefer a decrepid rusty original mess then a brand-spanking-new in your face "EVERYONE LOVES SONIC!" affair. I'd prefer to see Merlin dig a little deeper in to their pockets and find the money to retheme this solo, with no name dropping or random tie-ins...they could have spruced up the ride and perhaps finished off the idea of being inside a huge pinball machine...it would still look like a new attraction and they would have kept their dignity (in my opinion).

It just feels cheap to use a name and not actually have any real reason...like those nightmarish Chinese & Japanese t-shirts with a badly drawn Micky Mouse with the words "Dora the Explorer" above it, complimented with a picture of Princess Di on the rear...

Where is the connection between Sonics world and this ride? And is this really any better then Original Source Tidal Wave or The Flume Unplugged from Imperial Leather?

Am I totally missing the point of a theme park?
Kaycee

To its credit, Ryan, there's no Sega branding or 'Sonic Spinball by Sega' anywhere that I've seen! You honestly wouldn't know it's sponsored.

And Dave - I made the exact same photo comparison earlier on but didn't get round to posting - this ride has seen an improvement! It's gone from a dirty, faded, peeling, tired eyesore to a fresh, clean, new-looking ride that is far more attractive, when it could have just been easily left! The peeling, faded paint from last season made the ride look old and flimsy - now it looks sturdy and new again!

Basically, Towers have spruced up this existing ride and it looks better than it did three months ago, yet people still moan! :lol: I don't know what was expected, it's known the contract is for three years, so it's not like there was going to be much more additional theming. The kids are loving this ride even more now, pointing out the character stickers on the side of the car they're about to get into, etc etc! :D

EDIT: Didn't realise my earlier post had actually posted!
Skumfidus

It's not the branding or sponsorship that bugs me Kaycee, it's the use of a totally unrelated character to sell a repaint that bugs me; wouldn't the ride look just as good with a repaint and some extra pinball theming, perhaps some new graphics for the first corner? And the park would be well on it's way to being a totally original creation...instead of looking like a shopping centre branching out into attractions.

The Eiffel Tower's looking a bit worse for wear, maybe we should plonk a 6 foot statue of the Green Giant at the base and vinyl wrap the whole tower in a fetching sweetcorn related design, maybe the lifts can play "ho ho ho, Green Giant" as you approach the top?...the Green Giant's tall like the Eiffel Tower isn't he?
spinwhizzer

[quote=""Ryanfuk""]It's not the branding or sponsorship that bugs me Kaycee, it's the use of a totally unrelated character to sell a repaint that bugs me; wouldn't the ride look just as good with a repaint and some extra pinball theming, perhaps some new graphics for the first corner? And the park would be well on it's way to being a totally original creation...instead of looking like a shopping centre branching out into attractions.

The Eiffel Tower's looking a bit worse for wear, maybe we should plonk a 6 foot statue of the Green Giant at the base and vinyl wrap the whole tower in a fetching sweetcorn related design, maybe the lifts can play "ho ho ho, Green Giant" as you approach the top?...the Green Giant's tall like the Eiffel Tower isn't he?[/quote]

Oh come on, there is a huge difference between the Eiffel tower and a family roller coaster at Alton towers!

Also, it is indeed very related, Sonic spinball already existed as a pinball game. [url=http://www.vgmuseum.com/scans/md/SonicSpinballPAL.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.vgmuseum.com/scans/md/SonicSpinballPAL.jpg[/url]
Crofty

I'm loving the Re-Theme, it's given he ride a whole new lease of life! It looks bright and seems running like a dream.
Paint jobs are very costly at Towers and without this sponsorship it wouldn't of been able to happen I doubt and to have a sponsor that really does fit in with the origional concept of the ride really is a treat that shouldn't be passed up.

I'm loving the new soundtrack aswell which features the classic song 1985 by Bowling For Soup and of course many of the Sonic sound effects.

Repaints cost a lot and for very little gain, I don't think we'll ever get one just for the sake of it adn as long as the brand ties in with the ride then i'm quite happy. Kodak and the Sky Ride is a good example of a previous sponsorship deal that I think fitted in well while Air and Cadburys Heroes is the opposite. :)

:D :D
Skumfidus

You could say it was related if you stood at the entrance to the ride with the above link, but as it stands for the general public the ride is just a generic rollercoaster with a few images of Sonic dotted around!

And yes, the Eiffel towers is of course different...but Alton Towers should treat their park in the same way as Paris treats it's tower...with pride and respect. The original theme had a lot of potential, and some of the ideas I have heard for the original plans for the ride sounded brilliant, but this retheme has condemned the idea of a human-pinball machine to death, Alton Towers won't want to move backwards. So here we are today, a generic red and blue spinning rollercoaster with no purpose. What does the ride actually represent? It had a total lack of direction to start with and now they're simply confusing things...it didn't look much like a pinball machine to start with, but now it's Sonic doing pinball? WTF?

If the second largest entertainment group in the world really needed to get some 3rd party in to fund a hundred tins of paint, why not get someone like Atari involved, really get the ride looking like a huge pinball machine with flippers 'launching' you up the lift hill, classic pinball noises as you bang in to the score bumpers and the typical silver rails on the helix keeping the 'ball in play'.

I totally agree, Spinball needed sprucing up, but Alton Towers had a choice between coming up with an interesting original re-theme or simply sticking on some stickers and letting the ride be carried on an ageing game characters spiky back...I just feel like they went for the wrong choice, 3 year contract or not.
CoasterCrazyChris

[quote=""Ryanfuk""]You could say it was related if you stood at the entrance to the ride with the above link, but as it stands for the general public the ride is just a generic rollercoaster with a few images of Sonic dotted around!

And yes, the Eiffel towers is of course different...but Alton Towers should treat their park in the same way as Paris treats it's tower...with pride and respect. The original theme had a lot of potential, and some of the ideas I have heard for the original plans for the ride sounded brilliant, but this retheme has condemned the idea of a human-pinball machine to death, Alton Towers won't want to move backwards. So here we are today, a generic red and blue spinning rollercoaster with no purpose. What does the ride actually represent? It had a total lack of direction to start with and now they're simply confusing things...it didn't look much like a pinball machine to start with, but now it's Sonic doing pinball? WTF?

If the second largest entertainment group in the world really needed to get some 3rd party in to fund a hundred tins of paint, why not get someone like Atari involved, really get the ride looking like a huge pinball machine with flippers 'launching' you up the lift hill, classic pinball noises as you bang in to the score bumpers and the typical silver rails on the helix keeping the 'ball in play'.

I totally agree, Spinball needed sprucing up, but Alton Towers had a choice between coming up with an interesting original re-theme or simply sticking on some stickers and letting the ride be carried on an ageing game characters spiky back...I just feel like they went for the wrong choice, 3 year contract or not.[/quote]

Well said, this is supposed to be the UK's best theme park, owned by the second largest amusement park owners in the world.

It is just not good enough.

I know it is just an added 'bonus' this year what with Thirteen but still there are no excuses for what will in the space of a couple of years look tatty...again.
Tetsemine

Been a lurker for ages, probably not my wisest move to be saying hi for the first time in the middle of a passionate argument, however:

[quote=""Ryanfuk""] but now it's Sonic doing pinball? WTF? [/quote]

Just to reitterate an earlier point that i've seen many, many times on the forum discussing this ride, Sonic Spinball was a game released back in the 90's i believe (that's when i remember playing it anyway) so it makes perfect sense for him to become the mascot of a ride that originally "shared" half of the game's name.

[quote=""CoasterCrazyChris""] there are no excuses for what will in the space of a couple of years look tatty...again.[/quote]

And also there's a slim chance Alton or certainly Merlin won't muck up and let it degrade over the next few years, it won't hurt for a little faith now will it? :P
JamesP

I think if it were a ride that was in a well themed area, such as Forbidden Valley, then there would naturally be cause for concern for this kind of sponsored ride [the air - cadbury's tie up always grated on me]. But as it is, Sonic Spinball is a small coaster, for the family, in the kid friendly and themingly ambiguous 'Adventure Land' area. For a child / family friendly area, a character such as Sonic is a fine addition.

You can always say that more theming would be nice (mentally I can picture some mega drive style original sonic graphic plastic trees and rings around the ride) but if we are honest, with the long term development plan proposals to move the ride, without this sponsorship it would of just sat there looking a state for the next few years.

An unexpected spruce up, at the tail end of a recession, during a year when we are getting more on park developments than we have seen in years, is very much welcome. I am just pleased to see the ride that is right at the entrance of the park looking great.

I think sometimes we here have short memories. I am far less a theme park fan now than I was in the late 90's and early 00's. My experience of a closed season then was ever increasing disappointment as the park got further and further into a state of disrepair. My visit to Alton Towers last year (the first I had made since Merlin took over) amazed me with the high quality appearance of the park, almost everything was well maintained and looked smart. Certainly I'd rather have the well cared for park we have now, even if it results in a few stickers and a plastic character statue, than the tatty Tussauds park of old.
mezza

Apologies if this has already come up (if so, I've totally missed it) but what has happened with Spinball's Q line games? the same? removed? repaired? new ones?
EXIT THROUGH THE SHIPPING CONTAINER
Vik

The games are still there, and are still the same. :D
Sent from my ZX81 via Time Travel

Adam

Some people really do moan about anything.

Spinball looks soooo much nicer than it ever has done. The existing theming still works which is why it's not been removed. What would have been the point?

It looks great now, almost like a brand new ride! Which, if I'm not mistaken, was the point...?

Seriously don't know what there is to moan about. It looked terrible before!

Adz x
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."
Benedique

Not sure if anyone's already mentioned this but apparently there's a squirrel getting free rides,You would think it would be scared with it going so fast!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... aster.html

Dylan

I think the re-theme looks great. The colours are so much more vibrant and it makes it look much more substantial and permanent, rather than a fairground coaster which is what I think it looked like previously.
As Kaycee said above, there is no Sega branding on it whatsoever (which really surprised me), it only Sonic theming and the kids seem to love it. It is after all, a family coaster. So many people having their photo with Sonic over the weekend too.
Seems to be 100% success to me, with probably little or no cost from AT's budget.
richdirk123

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Rnww-bMUPQ

Just found an awesome video!
Khanage

[quote=""Vik""]The games are still there, and are still the same. :D[/quote]

As in broken?

Would be nice to see these changed to a bit of a Sonic theme, but nonetheless I'm being pedantic. Looks decent from the photos, will have to judge for myself come March!
Thanks to Adzy for the sig & av.

Skumfidus

Just to reitterate an earlier point that i've seen many, many times on the forum discussing this ride, Sonic Spinball was a game released back in the 90's i believe (that's when i remember playing it anyway) so it makes perfect sense for him to become the mascot of a ride that originally "shared" half of the game's name.
Am I being totally ridiculous when saying that that is the worst excuse for a ride idea I've ever heard? A game in the 90s had the same name so let's (a decade later) add a few pics of the guy up?

I don't get everyones problem, I'm simply stating that I don't like the idea of Alton Towers becoming an amusement park instead of a theme park, and people just keep repeating the same old rubbish about "it looks better, what's the problem"...if someone want's to slyly backhand me in their post trying to say I'm moaning, I suggest they reread my posts and get a feel for what my problem actually is.

And tbh peoples of TTF, so what if I am 'moaning', at least I'm saying something constructive rather then just "It's betta init!".

I'm surprised this forum get's more then 3 posts in a topic 1."TTF LOVES IT" 2."Hang on a minute" 3."Stop Moaning"
Nightfall

[quote=""Ryanfuk""]
Am I being totally ridiculous when saying that that is the worst excuse for a ride idea I've ever heard? A game in the 90s had the same name so let's (a decade later) add a few pics of the guy up? [/quote]
I agree with that statement because I don't think the ride is intended to be themed around the old Sonic Spinball game. The only time I have seen the game mentioned is when an old sonic fans has posted the image saying "Oh look it all fits, they’ve based it on the old game". Most of the target riders will have never used a Mega Drive.

I do agree that they could have given the ride a bit of a back story at a fractional extra cost. But the re-themes only real purpose is for Merlin to show that they care about the rides quality and Saga to do a bit of advertising. It is very unusual that they haven't used much branding, (but a bonus for Alton).
[align=center]Image[/align]
James

Taken from Alton Towers Facebook page.

:)