SW6 Construction Part Two

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Chris W

Pictures from this morning (The sun was very bright so only a few):

The 1st photo isn't great but I believe that it proves even further that there is a drop to the ride. There is a 'V' shaped piece of metal which is on both the top part of track and the bottom.

The 'V' shape will mean that there is so kind of moveable track and the 'V' piece of metal will help it guide into place.

(Larger versions available on request)

There was a crane on-site on Saturday, nobody was working on Sunday.

The construction site is looking good.
seanyboyuk

lets hope its not going to be the wraith!

looking more likley to be a backward vertical tilt in the dark this one!
SIMR

If it were something like this: [url=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;][/url] in the dark, it would be so awesome!
Rollercoaster5000

[quote=""bennyboy-92""]If it were something like this: [url=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;][/url] in the dark, it would be so awesome![/quote]
Doubt that. It should be some kind of drop feature. Anyway that belongs in the ride discussion forum :D . Lets get back on topic. The latest poster looks great. The station building frame looks pretty much complete. Track looks like it should be complete soon.
Last edited by Rollercoaster5000 on Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaz

Any photos of the track going into the building over the last few days? I want to know the internal layout.
Andrewroom

The above ones from Disco Ball show the approach to the drop.
Toy Story Land at DLP! Woop!
Chris W

I doubt much will have changed today, if anything at all.

And apart from the metal upside-down V's there is nothing relating to the drop mechanism in place.

I wouldn't be surprised if no more construction takes place on the interesting track between now and the end of the season, particularly if Alton Towers want to keep the secret section secret.
Kaz

[quote=""Andrewroom""]The above ones from Disco Ball show the approach to the drop.[/quote]

Tbh you can't see a bloody thing in the photos. :roll:
Chris W

[quote=""Kaz""][quote=""Andrewroom""]The above ones from Disco Ball show the approach to the drop.[/quote]

Tbh you can't see a bloody thing in the photos. :roll:[/quote]

You can see it much better from Rita and my priority was to go on the rides, not to get photographs.

Plus, half of the V is covered and the other part is obscured by a metal beam.

AltonThorpe

Just to say, I was in Cloud Cuckoo land Burger King and I saw a decent bit of track when it goes through the woods, if anyone is interested then go to the far left corner and look out the window, I saw a fair bit of track. I know it may not be important as we all want to know about the inside section but it is still a good view of the rides "hidden" section. :)
England 38-21 New Zealand - 1st December 2012

Twickenham Stadium
icecream88

Anybody thought that perhaps the trains will leave the station backwards? unlikely but very possible... construction pictures are looking great!
Andrewroom

[quote=""Kaz""][quote=""Andrewroom""]The above ones from Disco Ball show the approach to the drop.[/quote]

Tbh you can't see a bloody thing in the photos. :roll:[/quote]

That's a very rude way of saying thank you. :x
He did say that larger copies were available on request.

I would imagine that work will slow right down now and the rest (landscaping, WF element, electrics, building exterior/interior) will happen during the closed season. I imagine we've had the best of (new) photos now.
chadjcooper1987

[quote=""icecream88""]Anybody thought that perhaps the trains will leave the station backwards? unlikely but very possible... construction pictures are looking great![/quote]

thats actually a very good point, and something knowone else has picked up on. would also add to the 'Ride into the Unknown' tag line. so you may be facing forwards when riding the final helix. Really good point ;-)
Andrewroom

[quote=""chadjcooper1987""][quote=""icecream88""]Anybody thought that perhaps the trains will leave the station backwards? unlikely but very possible... construction pictures are looking great![/quote]

thats actually a very good point, and something knowone else has picked up on. would also add to the 'Ride into the Unknown' tag line. so you may be facing forwards when riding the final helix. Really good point ;-)[/quote]

This probably belongs in the 'Ride Discussion' topic. However...

I can't help but think that the drop/final helix bit would be an anticlimax forwards when the rest of the ride is backwards. Also, not being able to see the approach to the building, especially with all the theming, would be a bit of a let down. I like the idea, and can see how it would fit in with the theme, but the way the ride has been designed makes it seem unlikely (as I know icecream88 already said :)). :D
samster31324

Come on everyone, look at these pics:

[url=http://www.intaminworldwide.com/iag/ind ... &Itemid=32" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.intaminworldwide.com/iag/ind ... &Itemid=32[/url]

The track is the same but the train would not go with the overall theming of the ride, so I think that the ride train will be like a mega light. Because of the size of the drop they will not be allowed to have a train with no back supports and one lap bar between two people - come on people with the health and safety in this country!
Last edited by samster31324 on Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I can't wait to see the doctor......
Bote

[quote=""samster31324""]Come on everyone, look at these pics:

[url=http://www.intaminworldwide.com/iag/ind ... &Itemid=32" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.intaminworldwide.com/iag/ind ... &Itemid=32[/url]

The track is the same but the train would not go with the overall theming of the ride, so I think that the ride train will be like a mega light. Because of the size of the drop they will not be allowed to have a train with no back supports and one lap bar between two people - come on people with the health and safety in this country![/quote]

I think discusions about the trains ect belong more in the Ride Discusions topic, as oppose to Construction.
SheikhSam

Going to the resort tommorow and will upload all the photos taken of SW6 by saturday at the latest :D
FallingStar

How do you get to the Abbey Woods? I wouldn't mind a good nosey at the track :P
SheikhSam

Anything people want pictures of (SW6 related)? Let me know before 8am 29/10/09 and I will do my best! :D
Andrewroom

^^Abbey Woods, first helix, final helix/switchback section and close up of station building track please! (Sorry, that's pretty much everything and very greedy). :D