SW6 Construction Part Two

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
darrenhosker

If any of you guys have No Limits, I have created a mock-up of SW6 to see what the speeds maybe like. I have created it based on pictures and the plans, and within the constraints of the no limits track. Hence the backwards section being forwards.

Feel free to download from below and have a look.

[url=http://www.filefactory.com/file/a05fa86 ... W6_nltrack" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.filefactory.com/file/a05fa86 ... W6_nltrack[/url]

Darren Hosker
Brett

I've been doing the same thing although it's hard on what we've got !
Wes

Near enough ALL of the track is complete, bar the first drop section/inside the building.

Its going to be interesting to see how they get track inside the building now that its already built :?
Big Dave

From the top or the sides. There is still alot of room to swing a bit of track in. Plus I assume most of the drop element will be small bits of steel that are like a flat pack and will be built bit by bit making it easier to build inside that building.
Altonator

Heres a few pics taken 17 10 09 :D
The pics can be seen here :)
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/29479646@N00/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.flickr.com/photos/29479646@N00/[/url]
What do you think of the pics? :)
Feel free to use images on TowersTimes PM if intrested :D
Whatever the weather outside it\'s always tropical at Cariba Creek
pfleety

Hey, i think we can get a vauge idea of the train size from this picture as you can see where the lift hil stairs ill go to. :P [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/29479646@N ... otostream/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.flickr.com/photos/29479646@N ... otostream/[/url]

Thanks altonator

Pete.
rightbackgranty

[quote=""pfleety""]Hey, i think we can get a vauge idea of the train size from this picture as you can see where the lift hil stairs ill go to. :P [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/29479646@N ... otostream/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.flickr.com/photos/29479646@N ... otostream/[/url]

Thanks altonator

Pete.[/quote]

Thats very true - if the ride does require an evac at that point, then you'd think that the evac stairs need to reach to the furthest extent of the train. If thats the case, it isn't a very long train at all!

Then again, there may be a way to manually reverse the kicker wheels (by generator or otherwise), meaning the train can be pulled back somewhat.
DiogoJ42

I thought pfleety was talking about the width of the train rather than length. :?
Lotte

[quote=""Kaz""]It is now pretty much confirmed through the grapevine that the world first element is simply [spoiler:qwynbsah]a vertical drop followed by a backwards section.[/spoiler:qwynbsah][/quote]

Mmmmm,,watching to see if this post is deleted as well.

It was confirmed on the Brendan Walker web site over six months ago that it would be a Drop feature.The interview that had this info in has been removed,,,funny that
Vik

[quote=""Lotte""]

Mmmmm,,watching to see if this post is deleted as well.

It was confirmed on the Brendan Walker web site over six months ago that it would be a Drop feature.The interview that had this info in has been removed,,,funny that[/quote]

Just for the record, no posts were deleted, they were just moved to the Ride Discussion Topic. Here

:D
Sent from my ZX81 via Time Travel

teddlesking

After reading almost every post over a few weeks. Ive decided pretty much no-one knows exactly what is happening

i live 5 minutes away and i have no clue
i went on saturday, and tbh, its looks pretty poor. As weve waited 5 years for another 'thrilling' ride we get a family coaster. In those 5 years, towers have been focusing on the family theme. isnt it about time we got some proper stuff!

This is my opinions

P.s I just got my job as lifeguard for splash landings :)
EdwinOkli

[quote=""teddlesking""]After reading almost every post over a few weeks. Ive decided pretty much no-one knows exactly what is happening

i live 5 minutes away and i have no clue
i went on saturday, and tbh, its looks pretty poor. As weve waited 5 years for another 'thrilling' ride we get a family coaster. In those 5 years, towers have been focusing on the family theme. isnt it about time we got some proper stuff!

This is my opinions

P.s I just got my job as lifeguard for splash landings :)[/quote]

Alton Towers supposedly know exactly what they're doing. This period of anxiety should fade but it doesn't seem to be. We want something chunky, with ever inversion under the sun or at least an obvious world's first, but we're not getting it. Whether Alton Towers will regret this decision or not we can only predict but for £12m, it should. This new Merlin AT seems too family orientated for my liking, Tussauds AT would just stick in a cheap ride for the whole family ie. Spinball (£3.5m?).

I can't believe I just talked about millions like it was nothing; perspective, what a marvellous thing.
bbooth2

im sorry but how can you complain that it isnt "thrilling enough" when the ride isnt fully constructed yet and no-one has yet ridden it?
seems to be jumping the gun abit, just because it doesnt have any inversions in it it does not mean its a bad ride :S x
teddlesking

considering 5 years without a thriling ride, i would expect a bit more, inversions dont matter to me, but it just looks a little, mediocur ( is that how you spell it?)

I know im jumping the gun, and i cant say till ive ridden it, so yeh i guess im in the wrong a tad, but it all looks a little bit like a rct1 junior coaster to me :P
Evostance

[quote=""bbooth2""]im sorry but how can you complain that it isnt "thrilling enough" when the ride isnt fully constructed yet and no-one has yet ridden it?
seems to be jumping the gun abit, just because it doesnt have any inversions in it it does not mean its a bad ride :S x[/quote]

I think he's reffering to the "good old days" when Nemesis was constructed. Nemesis was constructed with a good theme, a ground hugging ride, something to always keep you awake - sharp turns followed by fast inversions, near misses and unexpected inversions (last corkscrew as your pulling into the station)

Recently all the newer rides have just been "slapped down" with no thought to the theme or the thrill.

Air for example. Yes its a worlds first and yes it is a good ride, but theming wise it could have been done a lot better. The concept is like your meant to be flying so the ground hugging element isn't important.

Spinball - lets not even go into that. Its just slapped down in a daft place with a crap theme.

Rita - Same again..

Oblivion - Great concept of a ride for a worlds first, the whole area got a brilliant retheme, however Alton seem to have abandonded this area as the queue system has essentially fallen to bits and the track has faded.

Alton are renown for their lack of space and height, and thats what made Nemesis so good. The fact that it cost £2million less than Air and SW6 shows a lot - remember Nemesis had massive amounts of theming and excavation to be done.

When was the last time Alton had a proper inverting rollercoaster?

Rita - Nope
Oblivion - Nope
Spinball - Nope
Thunder Looper - Yup, but thats gone
Air - Nope
Nemesis - Yup

Thats over 12 years ago, and 12 years on Nemesis is still the most intense and exciting ride in the park
deeve

I can see where teddlesking is coming from. Alton by know should have at least a 4d coaster by know. Im sick of hearing things like B&M can only make good coasters rubbish. S&S have built a 4d in Japan they have also got some great new concept rides such as the F1 coaster which would have fitted in with Rita. Alton Towers does need to come off the family thing. Spinball, Charlie, Mutiny Bay and Cloud cuckoo land. Thrilseekers have only Nemesis, Oblivion and Rita. Theres all that family stuff over at the hotel as well. My wish list has always been a 4d coaster ever since i went on X at magic mountain. If i could have swapped Air for X i would have done. Construction looks like it will be family orientated. The track size and the footers sugest this. The layout suggests stop start type thing not like Nemy that just keeps going. People need to remember back to the planning hearing when we learned that it will have similar mechanics to X no way out which is not exactly fast. Its going to be a ride with an experience thats going to be ok but not white knuckle. It may be in 2014 nemys 20th birthday before something great may appear and god help them if its at the expense of a classic.
Trixz

There is nothing wrong with making opinions on this ride before it has been constructed! That is what this whole forum is about, debating on things and giving opinions. The ride looks poor for secret weapon standard and thats dissapointing considering the amount of time we have waited. And also this rides unique selling point looks as if its going to be the theming and for me its like, no amount of world class theming can make a average layout secret weapon standard
WE ARE ALL WITNESSESS
teddlesking

[quote=""Evostance""][quote=""bbooth2""]im sorry but how can you complain that it isnt "thrilling enough" when the ride isnt fully constructed yet and no-one has yet ridden it?
seems to be jumping the gun abit, just because it doesnt have any inversions in it it does not mean its a bad ride :S x[/quote]

I think he's reffering to the "good old days" when Nemesis was constructed. Nemesis was constructed with a good theme, a ground hugging ride, something to always keep you awake - sharp turns followed by fast inversions, near misses and unexpected inversions (last corkscrew as your pulling into the station)

Recently all the newer rides have just been "slapped down" with no thought to the theme or the thrill.

Air for example. Yes its a worlds first and yes it is a good ride, but theming wise it could have been done a lot better. The concept is like your meant to be flying so the ground hugging element isn't important.

Spinball - lets not even go into that. Its just slapped down in a daft place with a crap theme.

Rita - Same again..

Oblivion - Great concept of a ride for a worlds first, the whole area got a brilliant retheme, however Alton seem to have abandonded this area as the queue system has essentially fallen to bits and the track has faded.

Alton are renown for their lack of space and height, and thats what made Nemesis so good. The fact that it cost £2million less than Air and SW6 shows a lot - remember Nemesis had massive amounts of theming and excavation to be done.

When was the last time Alton had a proper inverting rollercoaster?

Rita - Nope
Oblivion - Nope
Spinball - Nope
Thunder Looper - Yup, but thats gone
Air - Nope
Nemesis - Yup

Thats over 12 years ago, and 12 years on Nemesis is still the most intense and exciting ride in the park[/quote]

I could not have said it better my-self ( Literally )

A layout on a ride is most important.
Do you see nitro and six flags have great theming? No, doesnt need it because of its awesome layout. I know there restricted, but Nemesis was the best thing to come to towers, as said before. Un-expected thrills. This just looks boring to be honest.
Kaz

Can I just point out to some people above that this topic is for construction and not general ride discussion. You are just making more work for the mods who will have to move them.
seanyboyuk

the park would be silly not to put 110% effort into this ride, they have lost their iconic ride so its being
replaced and i think every detail will not be missed.