SW6 Construction Part Two

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Craig

Now that we're starting to enter the erection (ooooh errr missus) phase of construction, its time for part 2 of the construction topic. Please use this topic for all construction updates (including photos) and general discussion surrounding construction.

As mentioned in the sub-forum guidelines, this topic will be heavily moderated by the team, particularly in time of increased forum traffic as construction continues. As a result, please ensure that you are contributing to ongoing discussion, and not simply posting for the sake of it. Any posts which are considered to be irrelevant to the ongoing discussion will be deleted.

Before posting, please think whether your post is suited to this topic, or whether it would be more suitable in one of the other SW6 topics within this forum.

PLEASE NOTE - This topic is for construction updates, pics and discussion. If you wish to discuss the ride itself, please use the ride discussion topic. A number of posts have recently been merged into the ride topic, so please double check you're posting within the right topic before hitting that submit button :D.
riderita

Just come back from the towers, what a day!

Today I got a good view of the site, what I saw impressed me immensely. The sheer scale of this coaster has just occurred to me, It's bigger than most think. The foundations of the station building are looking very complete and spanking.

The layout is also a lot clearer to me, the large whole is now clearly connected via underground tunnel to the helix trench (which is very deep now). This theory is backed up by a series of arch like metal girders that link up to the helix trench. The launch will be completely underground and from sight.

The hole in my opinion would not fit a Rita sized train in it... maybe a couple of carts less. I would hopefully think there will be a third train...

I also touched the SW6 track... I TOUCHED IT! *manic voice* :mrgreen:

It's looking good and very promising.
Dylan

All sounds good riderita. Glad to hear that the trench and hole connect up, which gives a better idea of what will happen inside.
Hopefully someone will have some photo's of the construction site from this weekend?
EdwinOkli

So... how much of the ride is actually underground?
Matt.C

[quote=""EdwinOkli""]So... how much of the ride is actually underground?[/quote]
That's being debated considering none of it is on the plans.
riderita

I think the layout for the tunnel is similar to the diagram below...

The black is the track/tunnel

D-Man

Is that how big the pit is compared to the whole station itself. :shock: The station is going to be huge then. Is the tunnel that long?
Alba gu brath! Scotland Forever!
Javs

[quote=""Kaz""][quote=""Evostance""]The hole is believed to be for a tunnel where the ride goes underground. Take that as from someone who works at Alton.[/quote]

Ditto. A tunnel for a rollercoaster would be a cut and cover job. In other words you are wrong.[/quote]

:clap: Well done Evostance! I also predicted this would be a tunnel back in August but was also shot down. This is AT and those of us that know them well, know they dont do anything by convention!

Oh forgot to ask, how much of the helix do we think will be a tunnel then? I would guess at only the part covered by the station.
Dormiens-Dave

The only problem with the tunnel theory is that the only method that could be used for such a tunnel is cut and cover, the tunnel (if it is one) is too shallow for a tunnel excavation method, there is not enough pressure from the material above the tunnel to withstand the ground trauma of tunnelling and therefore it would collapse before it could be supported.

Also there’s now a wall of concrete between the first hole and the helix pit, this was pored in to support the sides of the big hole. You can see from the pouring mold that no space was left for a tunnel entrance.

I am happy to be wrong but the evidence suggests i am not.

My theory is you drop into the helix pit with a nice pop of airtime after the "mystery" section
EdwinOkli

The pit won't be just part of the tunnel... I reckon the drop (if that is what it is) will go below the height of the connecting tunnel and do something special before following on through the tunnel.

If there is a drop or tilt we should be expecting some tri-track, there's no way it can all be bi-rail.
Vik

[quote=""dormiensdraco""]
Also there’s now a wall of concrete between the first hole and the helix pit, this was pored in to support the sides of the big hole. You can see from the pouring mold that no space was left for a tunnel entrance.

I am happy to be wrong but the evidence suggests i am not.

My theory is you drop into the helix pit with a nice pop of airtime after the "mystery" section[/quote]

Not forgetting the massive concrete footers as well. :D
Sent from my ZX81 via Time Travel

Islander

[quote=""EdwinOkli""]If there is a drop or tilt we should be expecting some tri-track, there's no way it can all be bi-rail.[/quote]
Why? If we assume it's going to be a drop, it can certainly be assumed that any mechanism will be capable of withstanding the necessary forces, and thus the track itself doesn't need to (i.e. if joined properly, it will pass it's stresses and strains on to the mechanism).

Besides, surely (IMHO) bi-rail would be easier to attach to such a mechanism than tri-track, hence why you don't see tri-track used as a standard transfer track. I think.
Rollercoaster 4 Life

I was on park yesterday and it was my first close up with the construction since the start of the season. I cannot believe how deep the trench is, photos don't really convey how deep it is really imo. I didn't think there would be anyone on site yesterday as it was a Sunday...but there were a few workers just removing casting walls from the station area. The back trench is quiet deep and love how it goes under the station. Had a great day yesterday anyway. I will be back at Alton Towers on the 2nd October to hopefully see some more progress and maybe some vertical construction! :P
Yesterday\'s the past, tomorrow\'s the future, but today is a gift. That\'s why it\'s called the present.

PSN ID]Bankzy108
Add me if you want!
Big Dave

Should be going on Wednesday with a bit of luck. Taking my camera and hoping to get a few shots of the area.
ATR09

Had a look at the track and supports currently on the car park last night. Not much steel work has been delivered as yet, but alot of electrical and mechanical components. Guessing another delivery will take place today. If it hasn't already...

:)
Kaz

[quote=""Javs""][quote=""Kaz""][quote=""Evostance""]The hole is believed to be for a tunnel where the ride goes underground. Take that as from someone who works at Alton.[/quote]

Ditto. A tunnel for a rollercoaster would be a cut and cover job. In other words you are wrong.[/quote]

:clap: Well done Evostance! I also predicted this would be a tunnel back in August but was also shot down. This is AT and those of us that know them well, know they dont do anything by convention!

Oh forgot to ask, how much of the helix do we think will be a tunnel then? I would guess at only the part covered by the station.[/quote]

Actually he was wrong in a sense; as I outlined in that post it would have to be cut and cover.
Matt-1509

Some more photos of the track can be found over on Towers Nerd, these were taken on earlier at around 17.10. It looks like there is more curved track, backwards helix maybe...?

http://www.towersnerd.com/gallery/?id=329
EdwinOkli

Completely forgot about Towers Nerd.
Some more boring track, what would really liven stuff up is if we saw B&M track, like OMG no way! But no, we won't. OT - When do you think we'll next see B&M track? Thorpe 2012?

Back on topic, do you think we'll actually get a look at any of the in station track before it gets installed? I mean Alton could be extremely careful about this if they wanted to be... although, is putting track up inside a station hard? Did they not do it with SAW (that has an equally massive station [probably bigger]).
Rollercoaster 4 Life

The more and more this progresses with comments and track pictures, the more my excitement goes about this ride. I don't know maybe it will be something spectacular? Out of intrest, where is the track being kept at the moment? Which car parking area?
Yesterday\'s the past, tomorrow\'s the future, but today is a gift. That\'s why it\'s called the present.

PSN ID]Bankzy108
Add me if you want!
Islander

[quote=""EdwinOkli""]Back on topic, do you think we'll actually get a look at any of the in station track before it gets installed? I mean Alton could be extremely careful about this if they wanted to be... although, is putting track up inside a station hard? Did they not do it with SAW (that has an equally massive station [probably bigger]).[/quote]
Nope, AFAIK Saw's indoor track was erected, and the station building then built around it.