SW6 Construction Part Two

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Evostance

I cant see the photos since bandwidth has been exceeded however, taking this from memory.

There are no wheels in the station to move the trains forwards. Those metal strips that run along the track...I wonder if there something to do with electromagnetism to move the train?
El Patricko

It isn't going to be a tame one, but the height restriction will be 1.2m, it has almost no bearing on intensity but does ring out that there will be no inversions. I suppose all in all were getting a similar concept to the proposed wooden roller-coaster that was due to go out the back of mcdonalds, corkscrew. And im not talking about true "SW6" that was meant to span the valley.
"If Alton Towers get a shrek 4d attraction next year i, El Patricko will eat a steak garnished with pond weed"

Officially, "the first man out on the town in shorts 2011"
Big Dave

[quote=""Evostance""]I cant see the photos since bandwidth has been exceeded however, taking this from memory.

There are no wheels in the station to move the trains forwards. Those metal strips that run along the track...I wonder if there something to do with electromagnetism to move the train?[/quote]

They probably havent installed them yet and no those strips are nearly 100% certainly for cables to run along. Every coaster has them.
tomathy

[quote=""Evostance""]There are no wheels in the station to move the trains forwards. Those metal strips that run along the track...I wonder if there something to do with electromagnetism to move the train?[/quote]

As has been stated previously, the metal strips on the track are probably for sensors.

It looks like sections of a modular channel system (probably unistrut) that's been welded to the track. It's used on almost every other ride to secure sensors and other equipment around the track, and extensively in most newer buildings. Think of it as electrician's meccano.
Satch

[quote=""El Patricko""]but the height restriction will be 1.2m, it has almost no bearing on intensity but does ring out that there will be no inversions.[/quote]

How so? Corkscrew was 1.2m and had two inversions. The only way we know there shall be no inversions is due to the fact there are none on the plans
bushboy2

Rest of the lift hill and supports were going up today. I expect they will be finished by the end of the week.
jordypordy11

ill have pictures on friday
Big Dave

[quote=""Satch""][quote=""El Patricko""]but the height restriction will be 1.2m, it has almost no bearing on intensity but does ring out that there will be no inversions.[/quote]

How so? Corkscrew was 1.2m and had two inversions. The only way we know there shall be no inversions is due to the fact there are none on the plans[/quote]

Enterprise inverts several times but it has a minimum height restriction of 0.9m as long as they are accompanied by an adult.
adsyrah

Someone requested this in the discussion thread.

I've superimposed one of the elevations from the original planning application onto a photo one of you guys took (thanks to dormiensdraco - hope you don't mind!).

I tried to line up the artists impression with the boundary of the foundations to give an idea of what the final building may look like.

The one thing that struck me was how little of the main building is actually built - very little when you see how much room there is in from of all the red steel and the image I've superimposed.

(right click and view image to see it larger)

The original for comparison:

bushboy2

There is alot more than that built now.
riderita

Details boy! Details! :twisted:

Next looky look for me is the 29th... and then the 31st. I'll be taking my canon SLR!
adsyrah

[quote=""bushboy2""]There is alot more than that built now.[/quote]

Ah, fair enough.

If anyone's going this weekend and get a couple of good shots of the site from a distance I'll have a go at it again at work (Photoshop FTW).
bbooth2

i will hopefully be driving up this Sunday ill take some photos then upload them as soon as i can :D.
Looking forward to seeing how progress is going.
mattbailey

[quote=""bbooth2""]i will hopefully be driving up this Sunday ill take some photos then upload them as soon as i can :D.
Looking forward to seeing how progress is going.[/quote]

You should meet up with the rest of TTF...

Am aching for new pics, roll on Saturday :D
nickn5

I got a couple of pics on Monday and a short video of craning the steel beams in position, will try and get them uploaded later..

Spike
Location: Curled up in Nemmies claws. Sound asleep and purring like a kitten.

[quote=""moog666""]Wish everyone would stop saying this is a family coaster! below is a link to intamin's classic family coaster page. the same track as SW6. This is why the labels said family coaster. SW6 is a WORLDS FIRST. It just happens that intamins family coaster track was the best suited to this project.

[url=http://www.intaminworldwide.com/iag/ind ... &Itemid=32" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.intaminworldwide.com/iag/ind ... &Itemid=32[/url][/quote]

Yes, but it can be described as a family coaster though. Not only is the track the same throughout the lift is the same also. It's not going to be much higher than the one shown nor is it going to be really fast. If you compare it to a Mega Lite, the track is tri-track and features a cable lift. Neither of these feature in SW6 so it's deemed a family coaster. What will hopefully make it a cut above the rest is the theming and backwards part.

There is one interesting thing about that video and that's the train length. They can make pretty much make any design people want and we could see a train that length which would improve capacity compared to the mega lite trains which we first thought.

If people start thinking this is a major thrill coaster they're going to be sorely disappointed. This is a middle of the road family coaster which can appeal to all ages. It's not as kiddy like the Beastie and it's not as Intense as Nemesis. This is a happy medium and something Alton need to bridge the gap.
MY HAND IS A DOLPHIN!!! >:O
*Honest Cint!*
nickn5

Progress on Monday afternoon:

Also took a short video which I may try and get on Youtube later. :)

Rollercoaster5000

[quote=""Spike""][quote=""moog666""]Wish everyone would stop saying this is a family coaster! below is a link to intamin's classic family coaster page. the same track as SW6. This is why the labels said family coaster. SW6 is a WORLDS FIRST. It just happens that intamins family coaster track was the best suited to this project.

[url=http://www.intaminworldwide.com/iag/ind ... &Itemid=32" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.intaminworldwide.com/iag/ind ... &Itemid=32[/url][/quote]

Yes, but it can be described as a family coaster though. Not only is the track the same throughout the lift is the same also. It's not going to be much higher than the one shown nor is it going to be really fast. If you compare it to a Mega Lite, the track is tri-track and features a cable lift. Neither of these feature in SW6 so it's deemed a family coaster. What will hopefully make it a cut above the rest is the theming and backwards part.

There is one interesting thing about that video and that's the train length. They can make pretty much make any design people want and we could see a train that length which would improve capacity compared to the mega lite trains which we first thought.

If people start thinking this is a major thrill coaster they're going to be sorely disappointed. This is a middle of the road family coaster which can appeal to all ages. It's not as kiddy like the Beastie and it's not as Intense as Nemesis. This is a happy medium and something Alton need to bridge the gap.[/quote]
[-X Spike in case you haven't noticed. Alton Towers have classed SW6 as a thrill ride on their site :D [url=http://www.altontowers.com/2010/poster/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.altontowers.com/2010/poster/[/url].

---- Post Info Added ----

[quote=""nickn5""]Progress on Monday afternoon:

Also took a short video which I may try and get on Youtube later. :)[/quote] Woah the station framing has gone up fast. Do post a link to your video :D .
bradpeet

[quote=""Rollercoaster5000""]
[-X Spike in case you haven't noticed. Alton Towers have classed SW6 as a thrill ride on their site :D [url=http://www.altontowers.com/2010/poster/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.altontowers.com/2010/poster/[/url].

[/quote]

But they also list blade, enterprise and submission as thrill rides. Enough said? :wink:
Rollercoaster5000

[quote=""bradpeet""][quote=""Rollercoaster5000""]

[/quote]

But they also list blade, enterprise and submission as thrill rides. Enough said? :wink:[/quote]
Submission is a thrill ride. With drops that steep, there is no doubt that SW6 is a thrill ride.