Locals Complain Again

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Doopy Dan

This was discussed a few weeks ago here:
http://towerstimesforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=2337

cheers
smeg_head

This sounds daft by why don't we organise a publicity stunt complaining about the locals? When AT is always in the press it is almost always for something negative so why not turn the tables and say

"We love Alton Towers but our enjoyment at the fantastic theme park is always spoiled by the miserable looks on the faces of local villagers as we drive up to the gate!" It's so mind numbly stupid - but simple that I'm sure a paper would pick up on, for one of theose 'and finally' style stories. It would also give the park a boost knowing they've got friends ready to support them!
Jay12

Sorry to say this smeggy but thats a stupid idea especially from you.
The reason,
The villagers at Alton have a very very very reasonable point Alton Towers is very slowly spoiling there towns and there lives..And they have every right to complaine...I now this is a stupid question but how would you feel living 200yrds from one of the UK top themeparks...If yes...Try to think in the villagers minds how would you feel then your 60 odd and retired and letting life take its toll and then you see a bus full of kids sticking there fingers up and passer byers and just spoiling there day and peaceful village.
Sig made by Craig - Gashead.
Cjw

I cant see how it is ruining there towns personally...

It gives them buisness for there bed and breakfasts.Alton would be a whole less popular if it were not for the towers.It would be more like royston vasey (This is a local shop,for local people...theres nothing for you here!!!)
Josh

i know this ideas going to sound stupid but, i think that if the park was to be shut down for like a month then the alton villagers could see how much they actually need the towers to be there. They would lose all their buisness like what cj windows said.
Jay12

I clearly understand what your all saying...But will they be happier ?? how much buisness did they get Before Alton Towers became a themepark ?? Alton Towers has been open for many years just for the gardens and some little attractions and the villager well im sure were happy about that not too many cars passing throught good enought buisness but then it became the M25 of Alton.
i wouldnt be happy..Parents would be scared to let there children out incase of an accident.
Altonator

perhaps before the start of the season they could have special days for residents with either free entry of heavily discounted entry - say £5.00 (residents would have to take id eg bills for proof of address) or they could change the opening times and be like chessington and thorpe where they don,t open midweek in early season and only open to hotel guests (they would probarly charge more to stay over but the park would be a lot quieter and they could encorage more people to stay in the hotels at off peak/quieter periods) and a limited number of people who pre book tickets could still gain entry?
Whatever the weather outside it\'s always tropical at Cariba Creek
Jay12

So this hotel thing will encourage more people to come and stay therefore bringing more traffic therefore causing more problems.But dont Alton Villagers already get free entry for a certain amount or time ?

but the thing is the locals shouldnt really have a say because the land where alton towers stands is owned by alton towers so they should be able to do what they wish in their land.
Altonator

Yes but if the opening times were advertised widely they wouldn't have as many day visitors thats where the majorty of cars come from and there would't be many coaches either on those days. I went on one of the winter weekends in March we arrived about 900am and it was a straight run through there were no traffic jams anywhere and I was told both hotels were full to capacity and the car parks still looked very empty (apart from the front of the hotels) so I think doing that would generate alot less traffic :?:
Whatever the weather outside it\'s always tropical at Cariba Creek
Jay12

[quote=""Megamixmick""]but the thing is the locals shouldnt really have a say because the land where alton towers stands is owned by alton towers so they should be able to do what they wish in their land.[/quote]
That is very ignarante not nice at all Of course they should have a say everyone has a right to speak out and anything that can be sorted will be but the problem seems to be Villagers Speak out but no one hears there cry.
smeg_head

I'm sorry I really do disagree Jay, the locals have far too much influence on the day to day running of Alton Towers. It really isn't as busy or as noisy as they make out. The perimieter of the park is surrounded by trees acting as a natural damper and you can not see the park from the viallge, the first sign of AT is a quick glimpse of Oblivion through the trees as you approach. The noisiest ride there is the corkscrew (that lift hill is loud!), though I have a feeling that would be there much longer.

Yeah I guess traffic can be bad but sadly thats part of 21st century life. I life in a gorgeous suberb of Hereford, a lovely treelined avenue - which is also the main route into city centre - therefor between 8am - 7pm there is a constant traffic jam outside the window. I don't moan I just accept it as part of modern day life.

The land round alton towers is stunning - gorgeous countryside and views. The locals still have that to enjoy.
Jay12

Yes i understand that. But i just dont like the way you speak about them people its not nice there just not happy how things have turned out and i think we should listen to them.
smeg_head

Sadly Jay I think you've been drawn into their propaganda. We live in a society of claim culture. The locals can smell compensation in the form of money - that's all they're after.

yes they know they can get compensation, like that man who said he could see the thunder looper but he used a 44x micoscope and he was on top of his barn, he got compensation because apparently it was causing his cows to give birth at the wrong time of year.

i would like to know how a ride could cause cows to give birth at the wrong time of year.

its like in the city people play music loud but do people get there stereos taken? no. so why do the locals insist on things like this to alton towers.
Jay12

Right ok ok...
But do you think the proposed By pass will be built..
?
Gashead

Theres nothing that can be done about it really...unless the village takes the towers to court and win a land mark case(which they dont have real bases to take them to court) then nothing is going to be done until the towers does actully shut and for what ever reason the villagers will be hit.The only things the altoners have a chance on making a point is rejecting proposed plans for new rides... i mgiht sound stupid :? but if that makes sense thats my views :lol:
Josh

I dont really see what the towers can do for the villagers.
What will sueing them do, apart from giving the villagers even more money.
The towers have made alton village famous.
Squiggles

Aparently for about 20 years now, the locals have been promised some sort of bypass, to eliviate the traffic problems. (And since Alton is a village, not a major road, it is not really designed to have huge amounts of traffic moving through it so it is a major problem).

Last we were told, Alton Towers own a perfectly good bit of land to build a bypass on, but petty squabbling between various villages, AT and the council has lead to no bypass appearing.

Whether it's the councils job to finance the road, or Alton's (one of the main arguments going on), it doesn't really matter, currently only one group of people are really losing out, and that is the residents of Alton. (yes, some of them get extra business by having cars constantly passing through the village, but the majority just live there so gain very little benefit)
Edwardo..... move me!