February Half Term 2010

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Vik

Sonic Spinball, Hex, Oblivion, Mine Train and Toadstool were all closed this morning, but are open now or will open soon. Park is quiet as well.

Some comments I've seen on Facebook statuses make comparisons to Thorpe Parks pre season blues. :shock:
Sent from my ZX81 via Time Travel

James

:lol: Looking at comments on Facebook too there are no chav's on park so Alton isn't quite up there with Thorpe just yet :P
Vik

Everything is now apparently open, and the park is still Chav free. :P
Sent from my ZX81 via Time Travel

Mattia

Oh dear oh dear. Slightly worrying! Let's hope that all these 13 plans have not overshadowed other work that needs doing.

It's a bad impression to be giving off in the run-up to a rather important season in many ways. Shame about the water park - these budget cuts and the over focus on the park side of the resort really isn't doing them any favours at all!

One good thing to hear is that Marg's was on top form last night! :)
Last edited by Mattia on Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Squiggles

[quote=""adammac""]

Thanks for great pics! What happened to the little ' her ladyships garden' building? Anyone know?[/quote]

According to another topic a tree fell on it.

Possibly the unluckiest building in the park (even unluckier then the Skyride), that's Her Lady's Oratory, one of the park's listed structures. It spent many years tucked away behind the Railcar, unloved and being used as a Electrical Substation. And then as soon as it received a bit of restoration work and is brought back to public view it goes and gets flattened by a tree. :(

By the looks of it, it looks like is rebuildable though. Those Victorians built buildings to last! lol
Edwardo..... move me!
themealgang

[quote=""Vik""]I'm just hoping that all the issues present today are sorted by the main season opening day.

Whilst there is still quite a bit of work going on, there is no excuse to have rides running such as Duel or Hex with little or none of the effects working. Regardless of the time of year, it does give a very bad impression to guests visiting. After all, people are still paying money to get in, and everything that is open should be in full working order. It looks like corners have been cut just so some particular rides can be open. Though it is good to have the rides open, the fact that they were barely operational really does look woefully unprofessional.

There also doesn't appear to of been the normal off season spruce ups. There were some spruce ups here and there, but on the whole the park was looking very jaded. Again, hopefully this can be addressed by main season.

I came away today feeling rather underwhelmed by everything.

Some issues today:-

No Monorail, though a Rail replacement bus service was in place :D

Nemesis only had 1 train available, which meant needlessly long queue times. At one point in the day, there was probably the need for 2 trains.

Mine Train running at a snails pace, even slower than last year. This ride needs some major care soon I think. Why does it need to run so slowly these days? :evil:

Twirling Toadstool had swings crashing in to each other whilst in motion.

Oblivion had technical issues which are still on going from last year.

Duel, no soundtrack playing and very few effects working.

Water Park closing at 6pm today was a joke. It was stupidly busy. The whole of the outdoor section closed at 5pm. Long wait to use the changing rooms.

Hex. No video, little effects in Octagon and inaudible soundtrack in the vault.

All these, whilst they may seem petty do make for a bad impression. Had I been an irregular visitor, I probably would of felt a bit short changed at the 1/2 hearted effort.

On the Plus side, the staff today were fantastic. Most were very polite and welcoming. Also, at least the rides opened as advertised, rather than simply staying closed as has happened elsewhere in the past.[/quote]

SAME HERE! What has happened to the Hex pre-show? #-o

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Nathan

Biggest disappointment of yesterday was definitely Nemesis running one train.

I was hoping to get a fair few rides on the old girl, but with queues pushing 30 minutes most of the time, I only bothered with the one.

Shame about Hex too, nil desperandum though, we decided to film our own as the audio played. :lol:

Unfortunately, I left my camcorder in my mates's car and won't get it back until next month! #-o
jomo1993

Just got back from towers, and tbh, i think that Vik summet everything up pretty spot on. I actually came away feeling slightly embarrased, as i had "Bigged" towers up so much to my family who have never been before and forced them to buy an annual pass today.

The monorail was closed when we arrived, due to the track being frozen, so fair enough to Alton in that respect, especially as they had put a bus service on.

Air was on a 2 train operation, which was alright at the start of the day, but i think the queue got quite big towards the end of the day.

Also, nemesis was still on a 1 train operation, which meant absolutely massive queues.

Duel broke down many times, and there was no music for half of the ride and all of the audio in the queueline was very quiet.

Mine Train, as VIK said, very slow.

Hex was completely closed all day, which i suppose is better than having certain things not working, as reported yesterday.

Oblivion, running on 3 shuttles all day and it had numerous breakdowns.

And in general, most major rides had pretty poor reliability today sadly, but on the upside, the park was very clean (as usual) and the staff were very friendly (as usual.)
MIND THE DOORS PLEASE

MIND THE DOORS
Nightfall

[quote=""Vik""]The small 'embarkation room' just before the Oblivion station has been repainted and all the dirt and grime removed. [/quote]
That’s good news, I always thought that room looked tacky (mainly because of the dirt), suppose it’s a good sign for a full repaint in the future.
[align=center]Image[/align]
kingda dude

(silly question, don't know if it has already been asked)
Is there ERT for Annual pass holders during this week?
"The Marmalisation Process has been scientifically designed to ensure a sense of euphoria and satisfaction should be had by all... There are no, known, Long Term side effects to the Marmalisation process, however short term side effects may include: dizziness, vomiting, loss of balance, loss of limb control, feinting, wild hallucinations but most importantly Smiles!"
jomo1993

nope
MIND THE DOORS PLEASE

MIND THE DOORS
mattbailey

[quote=""kingda dude""](silly question, don't know if it has already been asked)
Is there ERT for Annual pass holders during this week?[/quote]

I don't believe there is... the park opens at 10.00 and closes at 16.00 for everyone I believe.
[quote=""jomo1993""]nope[/quote]

Same answer as Jomo..
AstroDan

Great to be back at AT - but February remains a very soulless and lifeless affair thatis merely an opportunity to get some rides in, whilst not being able to indulge in the real essence of Alton Towers.

A lot of the spruce ups around the park will be done between February and March, as the seasonal staff have returned - so many areas which maylook worn at the moment will be sorted come 20th March.

I do feel that the park have rushed to open some rides, as mentioned Hex and Duel in particular, but at least the rides were all open for the majority of the time.

Again, some good staff around AT - lots of developments going on - so bring on March so the real AT can return, as at the moment it's a bit of a work in progress!
NickT04

Some of my pics from today:

More here: [url=http://s750.photobucket.com/albums/xx14 ... uary%2010/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://s750.photobucket.com/albums/xx14 ... uary%2010/[/url]
Graeme

Anyone know how oblivion has been doing today and the monofail?
RITA = Flying fish for teens
AstroDan

I can't see the Monorail opening until late morning any day this week so long as it remains cold early on. As for Oblivion, no idea - it has been operating all weekend, just with the odd spot of downtime.
furie

I was there too, spotted a few of you about. Quick trip report? Well, it almost is... ;)

First up, we've been to Alton a few times over the closed season for the swimming pool, but they didn't have car parking charges up. It's still £5 though - Robin car park bastards:

We caught the newly re-themed train to the park. I know they were only done up two year's ago, but they've gone for a "crowded bus" theme now! Let's put it this way, I'm more impressed with the Sonic re-theme ;)

MMF is happy to be back. He doesn't need the pram any more, but our picnic definitely does - they just get more and more epic!

Meeting Sonic is officially a pant wetting experience :) MMF was really ,really, REALLY seriously chuffed to meet him. Like "best moment of my life ever" good. I know the Sonic re-theme has had a negative reaction, but it's a massively, massively popular move by the park.

They've also tarted up Squirrel Nutty, and added live Squirrel actors - awesome!

Farmyard area next for some Tractor action! Could you make that into a dynamic word? Traction?

Exclusive Update Time

Honest, it's important. When I first took Minor_Furie (not Maxi-Minor, but Minor) to Alton Towers about eight years ago - I took him on the Tractors. I remember seeing these connecting poles go through the plastic chassis. They really rattle in the hole and my one enduring fear of Alton is this: One of my kids will put a little finger in the kid finger sized gap and the sharply rattling pole will trap their finger and break it, or cut it off. Seriously, I'm happier letting the kids play with a Maclaren buggy than go on the tractors at Alton ;)
Anyway, as you can see here - they've stuffed the gap with foam and taped it all up. Honestly, I'm not a great fan of H&S, but this is something that has been an obvious "someone is going to get badly hurt one of these days" thing.

What would one of my trip reports be without bunnies?
Well, they have Guinea Pigs now
Here they are, happily stuffing themselves with grain.. So that you can pay for you kids to be able to feed the giant man eating rabbits of doom fresh grain filled Guinea Pigs!
Here's Maxi-Minor_Furie just after lobbing a grain filled Guinea Pig to the giant man eating rabbits of doom:

If you don't feed them enough, they start to eat each other!

Eye Spy Riverbank next. Annoying noise ride of doom. I snook into the Dung Heap to drink coffee instead!
Bugger, the boats come right past filled with noise making hooligans!

Squirrel actor on his break over by the maze of the magic mushroom.
See, you get all the behind the scenes views here!

Sonic grabbed my child! I don't want to think about what's going to happen next with the oversize thumb of his!

We did some other stuff too I'm sure. Watched Thirteen testing, played on big wobble, Hex, the usual kind of dull stuff. I've posted my piccies of the new ride and Sonic re-theme elsewhere.

Finished up at the Runaway Mine Train. I'm fed up with the rubbish Alton feed us though!
The lies!

The damnable lies!

Then I went swimming for an hour for my last pass visit to Splash Landings.

Yeah, hurrah and all that. I didn't see any reliability issues as I didn't go anywhere near any rides really :lol: Everyone had fun though - so that's all that matters.

Hurray and all that :)
If you\'ve got a problem, stuff a worm in it!
Come and Visit the Family_Furie family review site here
cammyproductions

Just come back from Alton Towers. Fantastic to be back but oblivion was closed most of the day from about 11:00 to about 4:00! I think everything else was running smoothly but nemesis only had 1 train. Going again on Friday should be good i hope Oblivion will be open all day as its my fave ride. (sorry about the punctuation).
Last edited by cammyproductions on Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bring on The Smiler in May! (Excuse my name i made this account a while back)
AstroDan

Please sort the Level 2 punctuation!

As for Oblivion, I hope while it was closed today they have sorted it - it has been up and down the past few days. No mist either and only loading 12 per shuttle! I hope it's better now.
stesutton

[quote=""AstroDan""]Please sort the Level 2 punctuation!

As for Oblivion, I hope while it was closed today they have sorted it - it has been up and down the past few days. No mist either and only loading 12 per shuttle! I hope it's better now.[/quote]

I was gutted i missed Oblivion on my two half term trips (sat and today) They sent it around with the dummys in it all afternoon. Well one cart had them in and two empty carts.