Size/Weight restrictions

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
freyno

Just try it theres no point going and not wanting to go on rides because you think you cant get on theres no harm trying

you should be ok on Nemesis,blivy,Air and rite but you might get on the others as well

good luck
Jelka

Yes Lisav. Please don't be put off riding some of the parks, and worlds, best rides beacuse you are scared of being turned away. If you are then it is nothing to be ashamed of, but personally I think you will be able to get on most of the rides. Especially the B&M's like Nemesis and Oblvion.

Have a good time at Alton Towers and good luck. :D
Don\'t just wish upon a star, reach for one...
Formerly known as \'towersmagic\'
Anonymous

Just to let you know I went to Alton towers yesterday and had a fantastic day! I got on every ride no problem, in even Spinball!

I went on Enterprise, oblivion, the rapids, nemesis, rita, walked through the aquarium, spinball wizzer, and the pirate ships (got absolutely soaked)

Was a brilliant day with most of it in glorious sunshine. Thank you all for your help!
adamtoonarmy

[quote=""Joel""]Are they actively enforcing that weight limit again Kaycee, or is it just "the rules" post on the board? ;)

I'm slightly concerned as I've always got on Spinball with no problems, but I'm a littttttle bit heavier than 17.5st! lol :D[/quote]

Been to towers about a dozen times this year and have been on Spinball 20 or so times and I havent had a problem. I also weigh a little over 17.5
Ridecount 2009:
BSwiss

Spinball is a deceptive one I find. As you are sat with your backside lowered and little to no leg room the way you fit into it is different for every body type. I'm a 34 waist but have big thighs (my friends call them roberto carlos thighs) and quite long legs and i always feel as though i'm not in properly. Yet my friend who i often go with is considerably bigger around the waist and gets in happy as larry.
Jelka

[quote=""Lisav""]Just to let you know I went to Alton towers yesterday and had a fantastic day! I got on every ride no problem, in even Spinball!

I went on Enterprise, oblivion, the rapids, nemesis, rita, walked through the aquarium, spinball wizzer, and the pirate ships (got absolutely soaked)

Was a brilliant day with most of it in glorious sunshine. Thank you all for your help![/quote]

Glad you had a good day and you enjoyed yourself.
What was your favourite ride of the day do you think, out of interest? :D
Don\'t just wish upon a star, reach for one...
Formerly known as \'towersmagic\'
Anonymous

Oblivion! Its my favourite ride in the world! But I also loved Rita!
Puppen

Hey guys/girls.
Speaking of restrictions, I am 5'10, pretty tall for a girl! will I get on all of the rides? x
Spike
Location: Curled up in Nemmies claws. Sound asleep and purring like a kitten.

[quote=""Puppen""]Hey guys/girls.
Speaking of restrictions, I am 5'10, pretty tall for a girl! will I get on all of the rides? x[/quote]

No trouble at all with any ride. :wink:
MY HAND IS A DOLPHIN!!! >:O
*Honest Cint!*
Anonymous

Hi - I'm new here too!

I also have a weight related questio. I've always been 'big' but have always fitted in fine to the seats. But the last year I have been ill and put on a lot of weight due to low activity and respiratory problems.

Anyway I'm almost certain I am ok for the chest restrictions but when sitting down my stomach is 57" is that ok? My chest is 46" - not very proportional!

But is that ok? I'm meant to go on Saturday and am terrified - plus how many people use the weight check chairs?

Thank you!
Matt.C

Just out of curiousity, what is the high restriction on Spinball?
elmerfudd

1.2m. If you are over 1.95m you can not ride
adamtoonarmy

[quote=""maysie""]Hi - I'm new here too!

I also have a weight related questio. I've always been 'big' but have always fitted in fine to the seats. But the last year I have been ill and put on a lot of weight due to low activity and respiratory problems.

Anyway I'm almost certain I am ok for the chest restrictions but when sitting down my stomach is 57" is that ok? My chest is 46" - not very proportional!

But is that ok? I'm meant to go on Saturday and am terrified - plus how many people use the weight check chairs?

Thank you![/quote]

Ok, I havent been to AT since 13 opened but here is my take on the rides you may encounter problems on.

Nemesis: Has 'big boy' seats designed for the larger guest. If you ask the ride oppos when you enter the station they will guide you to them, there are only one or two per train. Worst case is you try a normal seat which is fine if you fit but if you dont the oppos will either swap you with someone sitting in a big boy seat or hold you back for the next train.

Oblivion: Also has big boy seats but not on every train. If you ask the oppo who is batching (he/she is the one that asks you how many are in your party) they will get you in an appropriate seat.

Spinball Whizzer (sonic spinball I think its called now) You could struggle with this ride as it has a T shaped lap bar that has to be pushed in so many clicks before you are allowed to ride. I find that this bar pushes against my stomach. When you get on, cross your feet before you sit down and raise your arms before they push the lapbar down. The oppo told me to do this on my first ride and I have had no problems since.

The Flume, Rapids, Battle Gallions should all be ok.

Rita is tight but I always managed to get on. There are no bigboy seats on here either.

I havent had any problems at all with air but have seen a couple of people struggle to fit.

Many people seem to have problems fitting on submission and ripsaw but I have never tried. Coasters are my thing not flats.

Enterprise, duel and RMT should be ok. The lapbar on Hex can be very tight but I have not had any problems.

I have always found the oppos and staff at AT to be very good at getting me into the appropriate seats and while it doesnt bother me one bit, some people get embarrassed asking or when being held back for the next train.

Hope this helps!
Ridecount 2009:
Hark

[quote=""Kodak_Moment""]Thanks for this info, i've never been on spinball and it looks like i'll be giving it a miss. Its only air that i'm particularly bothered about though :) I feel loads better about the staff not being too bothered, its just everyone else! thanks again :)[/quote]

Staff are there to help with any questions you have about the ride and will be happy to assist you in the test seat or on the ride the best they can, so don't feel embarrassed - It does happen quite regular and is a common occurrence!
sizzler18

Hi there, im really sorry if i end up asking something that has already been answered, but i was just wondering if the chest size limit of 52" still stands on a number of the rides? And whether or not there is a weight limit for Air and Sonic Spinball? As some of the past posts say that there is and some say there isn't. Again sorry if these questions have already been answered, its just my girlfriend is very concerned about her size stopping her going on some of the rides, and i wanted to try and put her mind at ease :)

Thank you in advance to anyone that can help
Joel

The chest limit of 52" stands on most of the rollercoasters purely because the restraints can only accomodate those sizes.

You can find "modified" seating to help (although these aren't hugely forgiving still, but a better chance) on Nemesis and Oblivion, ask a staff member in the station and they'll help you locate them.

There are no weight limits for rides, only chest sizes for 'over the shoulder restraints' (Nemesis, Oblivion, Air), and stomach size for Sonic Spinball and Rita, and upper thigh size also for Air, oddly!

Air, Rita and Oblivion all have 'test' seats located near the entrances, so try them out if you are unsure.
sizzler18

Thanks for that joel, much appreciated, do you know what the stomach size limit is at all?
Joel

Nope, it's not defined anywhere (just 'guests with large dimensions' or something), but its kinda where the pinch point is for those rides due to the restraint (i.e. Rita has a bar that falls across your stomach area, and Sonic Spinball's restraint is a large padded T bar that falls in your stomach area).
sizzler18

Again thanks for that, I may try calling them to find out if they can tell me or not, but thank you for your help at least I have some sort of guideline to tell my fiancee now :)
gazag

ok this is an issue i get alot and im going to be totally open here

ive got a 44" waist and the only rides i cannot get on are AIR and colssus at TP.

BUT this isnt because of my chest or waist size. ite because i have iregually large legs and since i work on my strength rather than my weight i have big thighs and this prevents the restraints on those 2 from closing.

i have been working on this the past 6 months though and found after getting myself down alot its helped and realistically a 42" waist is what standered seats require at max.