Size/Weight restrictions

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Anonymous

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here and I'm wondering if anyone can help me.

I've been on a strict diet for the last year and have so far lost four and half stones, but I am still overweight and I'm panicing that I wont get on to many of the rides at Alton Towers this weekend.

I fit the chest restrictions on all rides as I am about 48 inches around my boob area :oops: but my hips are what I'm worried about. My trouser size is a ladies 20/22 and I dont think I will fit into the seats on Spinball wizzard or Air. Does anyone know the seat/hip size for these?

I am so embarrassed to have to ask this, but I would be even more mortified to be turned away from a ride, so I'd like to be prepared!

Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks, Lisa
Jelka

Don't worry, people have asked this before. :)

Right, I am not sure about the figures for Spinball size restrictions but I think you have to get 4 clicks with the restraint.

Yes, you are fine with chest restrictions. I am not sure about hip/leg figures on Air. But remember, there are test seats outside the rides like Air so you can try the seat out. :)

Hope this helps.
Don\'t just wish upon a star, reach for one...
Formerly known as \'towersmagic\'
Joel

Hi Lisa,

Welcome to the forums firstly!

Secondly I can appreciate how you feel, I'm a chunky guy myself and I often panic going to new parks about what I can and can't get on.

Trying to translate womens sizes in mens sizes, you're not too far off myself, so heres my rough guide to things:

- Air - the worst part of the restraints about Air is the thigh of your leg, as thats the pinch point on the restraint. Its difficult to predict this one so try the seat at the entrance, theres usually a member of stafff who is happy to check for you at the entrance and release you from the seat.

- Nemesis - this is a chest one - I don't have any problems with it, however if you're really paranoid there are "big boy" (or girl :P) seats on the train, but I can't for the life remember which row and seat it is now. Usually row 5 seat 2 or 3, but I'm sure some Nemesis expert will be along to help with that one :P

- Ripsaw - not very forgiving, I don't bother with it as I've had little success with it :(

- Runaway Mine Train - the front half of each "carriage" is a little better for those with longer legs, otherwise should be OK

- Spinball Whizzer - again this one is hard to predict, and it has no test seat :( Its the size of your leg thigh (i.e. top half of legs) and your stomach with this one - however, I've ALWAYS found helpful if you cross your legs over when you sit in the car - it should help to lower your thighs slightly to help the restraints close. It makes getting in and out take a few seconds longer, but its helped me get on the ride a lot. They have to get the small yellow arrow on the restraint arm within the yellow square on the restraint support down by your leg. So cross your feet over once you've stepped in the car!

- Oblivion - Oblivion again can be VERY unforgiving - it really depends on which car you get, I've noticed the "newer" looking restraints seem to have their latch point lower than the older discoloured restraint cars. Again theres a double-belted "Big boy" (or girl, sorry :P) seat available on the ride - when you get into the station, there should hopefully be someone on batching (once you've crossed the metal bridge) - ask them for the location of the big boy seat and they'll gladly help you with which one it is.

- Rita - I've never had any problems with the Intamin newer restraints at all, and I've never seen anyone refused from the ride myself, although that doesn't mean it doesnt happen. However there is a test seat at the entrance, try it out again :D

You should be fine with all the flat/spinney rides etc - the only ones I can't do is Ripsaw and Submission.

I know it's really awful to get turned away from a ride, but at the same time staff are usually really nice about it - its difficult to know what you can and can't ride until you've tried it once, so try not to wreck your day by not going on anything at all! You never know, they used to give me an 'exit' pass when I got refused so I could hop on something else instead :P

And always try the test seats - yeah you feel a complete tit trying it out, but it saves a lot of time queueing, and also that embarrasment (thats all in your mind remember!) if the restraint doesn't fit. Don't forget to ask them on Nemesis and Oblivion for the "big boy" seat locations if it will make you feel more comfortable too - you might think its really silly to ask them, but usually they are really understanding and if anything it helps them to keep the throughput up and delays down in dispatching :D

They will usually try and help you "fit" too if there are problems - just try and relax, take a deep breath in and then breathe out and they'll give your restraint a firm shove to try and get "one more click" usually needed to let the train go.

And finally - it happens all the time! Seriously! Don't think you're the only one in the whole day, theres probably been tens and tens of people that day already :D

Hope you have a great day, and keep up the diet efforts - it is worth it in the end, I'm on a strict diet to go to Florida now :( lol

Joely
Anonymous

Thank you so much Joel and Towersmagic! I really appreciate your help and I feel reassured! I cant wait to go, I'm soooo excited!
Jelka

The larger seats on Nemesis are on row 4 if I am correct.
Hope you have a good time at Alton Towers, you should be excited, it is brill. :) :D
Chris W

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe most rides chest size restrictions are around 52 inches.

:)
Jelka

Yes they are Disco Ball. Rides like Nemesis have a restriction of a chest size of 52 inches, but Air I think has a restriction of 50 inches. :)
Joel

[quote=""Disco Ball""]Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe most rides chest size restrictions are around 52 inches.

:)[/quote]

That is correct, in a way, however my chest is less than 52" and I still have difficulties with some rides that quote (not just in Alton!) a chest restriction.

Particulary when some restraints have more restrictive elements than the chest size (e.g. Air and its thigh limit!)
Anonymous

I have the exact same problem! I'm going on saturday and it's constantly on my mind about what i can fit on. I went last year and only got on air (of the main rides) because of the queues but i've put a bit of weight on since then and it's worrying me :oops: I know some people say "fat" people should use this as inspiration to lose weight but unfortunately mine is down to a health condition.
Anyway, i've measured my chest and it's 48" (ish) however my thighs are about 30-31.

I think i might just make it with the chest, but does anyone have anymore info on the thigh measurement?

Also, does Spinball still have the weight restriction of 17.5 stone? I'm over that weight, and since Spinball is so out of the way, it would be useful if someone could tell me now instead of wasting time when im there.

Thankyou :)
Jelka

[quote=""Kodak_Moment""]I have the exact same problem! I'm going on saturday and it's constantly on my mind about what i can fit on. I went last year and only got on air (of the main rides) because of the queues but i've put a bit of weight on since then and it's worrying me :oops: I know some people say "fat" people should use this as inspiration to lose weight but unfortunately mine is down to a health condition.
Anyway, i've measured my chest and it's 48" (ish) however my thighs are about 30-31.

I think i might just make it with the chest, but does anyone have anymore info on the thigh measurement?

Also, does Spinball still have the weight restriction of 17.5 stone? I'm over that weight, and since Spinball is so out of the way, it would be useful if someone could tell me now instead of wasting time when im there.

Thankyou :)[/quote]

On Spinball Whizzer there is not really a weight restriction as such. You have to get the restraint to click 4 times to be able to ride I think.

Hope this helps. :)
TurboJ

I've been 'heavily built' for many years, and each time I go to Alton now I'm worried about my size stopping me from going on the coasters. With the restriction thing on Spinball it's going to be a while before I can go on that (18st 2lb :( ). This year I'm trying to lose weight, with Alton being part of my incentive.

Whenever I go on Air I always think "will the restraints hold me?", despite me knowing how safe the ride is.
Anonymous

[quote=""towersmagic""][quote=""Kodak_Moment""]I have the exact same problem! I'm going on saturday and it's constantly on my mind about what i can fit on. I went last year and only got on air (of the main rides) because of the queues but i've put a bit of weight on since then and it's worrying me :oops: I know some people say "fat" people should use this as inspiration to lose weight but unfortunately mine is down to a health condition.

Thankyou :)[/quote]

On Spinball Whizzer there is not really a weight restriction as such. You have to get the restraint to click 4 times to be able to ride I think.

Hope this helps. :)[/quote]

I see, sorry to keep going on, is there a test seat do you know?

Thanks again :)
Gloomy Dude

I'm on the chunky side myself and have never had any problems at the Towers. I find Spinball and RMT a slight bit cramped, but that's more a long legged issue than anything.

Lisav, my girlfriend tells me that I am probably the equivalent of a womens' size 20 round the rear with chunky thighs to boot, and as I say, no problems. Because of Spinball's restraint style, chest size shouldn't be an issue. Sadly, there are no test seats for Spinball.

Have fun and don't worry. :woo:
For some things there is no rational explanation. There is no way out. There is no happy ending to this story. Welcome to the unknown. Welcome to eternal darkness.

Welcome to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - The Ride
Kaycee

There is a weight restriction on Spinball Whizzer of 110kgs, which is just under 17.5 stone. Spinball is one of the most unforgiving rides on the park and the lap bars are restrictive. The bar needs to go down at least four clicks. When you get into the car, cross your feet over each other, as this gives you a bit more room.

If the restraint can't go down four clicks, you won't be able to ride. :( But if you've queued a long time, we do give out a priority pass for you to try another ride via a reduced queuing time. :) And as Joely said - don't be embarrassed - I work on Spinball and Oblivion and all the staff are very diplomatic and sensitive about this - it happens loooooads of times in a single day, so we never bat an eyelid! So try not to be feel embarrassed. :)

Oblivion is actually not as unforgiving as people think - since I've been working there, I could probably count on one hand the amount of people we've had to tell can't ride. The seat with the double-belted restraint locks at a higher point than the single-belted restraints, and the seatbelts go over a narrow part of the harness, making it easier to belt up - which is usually the hardest part! I shouldn't imagine Oblivion will be a problem, but try the test seat outside the entrance first, and see if it'll belt up. :)

Hope this helps and you have a good day - try not to worry and remember it happens incredibly frequently, so don't feel like anyone's judging you! :)
Anonymous

[quote=""Kaycee""]There is a weight restriction on Spinball Whizzer of 110kgs, which is just under 17.5 stone. Spinball is one of the most unforgiving rides on the park and the lap bars are restrictive. The bar needs to go down at least four clicks. When you get into the car, cross your feet over each other, as this gives you a bit more room.

If the restraint can't go down four clicks, you won't be able to ride. :( But if you've queued a long time, we do give out a priority pass for you to try another ride via a reduced queuing time. :) And as Joely said - don't be embarrassed - I work on Spinball and Oblivion and all the staff are very diplomatic and sensitive about this - it happens loooooads of times in a single day, so we never bat an eyelid! So try not to be feel embarrassed. :)

Oblivion is actually not as unforgiving as people think - since I've been working there, I could probably count on one hand the amount of people we've had to tell can't ride. The seat with the double-belted restraint locks at a higher point than the single-belted restraints, and the seatbelts go over a narrow part of the harness, making it easier to belt up - which is usually the hardest part! I shouldn't imagine Oblivion will be a problem, but try the test seat outside the entrance first, and see if it'll belt up. :)

Hope this helps and you have a good day - try not to worry and remember it happens incredibly frequently, so don't feel like anyone's judging you! :)[/quote]

Thanks for this info, i've never been on spinball and it looks like i'll be giving it a miss. Its only air that i'm particularly bothered about though :) I feel loads better about the staff not being too bothered, its just everyone else! thanks again :)
Joel

Are they actively enforcing that weight limit again Kaycee, or is it just "the rules" post on the board? ;)

I'm slightly concerned as I've always got on Spinball with no problems, but I'm a littttttle bit heavier than 17.5st! lol :D
Crisps

I'm a generously proportioned guy; 50-52 inch chest, and a 42-44 inch waist, weigh 18 stone, and was at the Towers a few weeks ago. These are the experiences I found.

Nemesis: I *just* fit in the normal seats, although the restraints towards the middle of the train seemed to be a little larger than those on the front and back rows (and I wasn't in the "big person" seat). Also found on one ride that my restraint locked another notch mid-ride, and it was quite uncomfortable. However, apart from that, the seats on Nemesis were quite comfortable.

Air: Test seat wouldn't quite lock. I would've chanced it if the queue was short, but wasn't risking wasting 40 minutes of my day. Are there "big person" seats on Air?

Rita: Tried the test seat, and the seatbelt was a good 4 inches off even touching the fastener :oops: I did find the seat really low though compared to B&M seats, and I don't exactly have a small bum or small thighs, so that could have been the cause. It again had a 40 min queue, so didn't want to queue to find out.

Oblivion: Again, I just fit into the normal sized seats, although I had a little more room on Oblivion than I did on Nemesis. My friend, who is a little larger than me, had to use the bigger seat, but the ride host we had could not have been nicer if she had tried. Really commendable!

Spinball: Didn't try, as my mate who I was with didn't fit anyway. Even so, I'm not a fan of spinny rides :)

Also, try to be wearing only 1 thin layer of clothes if you're unsire about fitting on a ride, as that jumper or summer jacket could make all the difference. I wore my summer jacket on Nemesis and Oblivion as it was the only iten I had with zipped pockets, and I didn't want to leave it in the station with all my valuables inside

Didn't try any of the flats.
FallenAbyss

Air does have larger seats in row 4 in seats 2 and 3 they don't give you much extra room but every little helps, what youre wearing really does make a difference ... if you're in your winter clothes (jacket and a jumper etc) you may well find that the restraints will be much easier to shut if you take them off and leave them in the station .....
rita's girl

Hi All

I am 6 ft tall and weight 21 stone and im female. lol.

I got regulary to AT and heres what I find....

Nemesis Row 4 is better for the bigger seat, i can fit into the normal seats but find my boobs get crushed.

Blivvy again I ask for the double harness seat its easier to be clipped straight in rather than needed a little push into the normal seats.

Rita I think they have changed the harness cause I always fit into them but cant this season and I have lost weight.

Air - there is a bigger seat in row 4 but its not really much difference. If you dont mind being pushed in try it.

Spinball I can get into due to the weight and 4 click rule so I dont bother.

Submission i can get into but it hurts when upside down

Ripsaw is not meant for the bigger person lol

everything else is ok.

Enjoy and dont be put off by your size. It is not frowned upon to be big like it used to be.

Why oh why cant UK theme parks be like American ones I had not one problem on any of the rides when I went to WDW. :roll:

Another thing I forgot to add from personal experience DONT GO ON THE RIDES WET! they seem to restrict you even more. I do the coasters then the water rides. I used to do the waters rides then the coasters and found i had issues.
Me x
Anonymous

Wow thanks so much everyone for your replies.

Well I (at my last weigh in on Tuesday) am 16 stone, i just carry the majority of my weight on my chest and hips - should I be worrying? I measured my thighs to be about 28 inches each. I really want to do all the rides, but my stupid pride may put me off. Do you think I should just go for it and so what if I cant go on?