Size/Weight restrictions

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Anonymous

Thanks for all the replies am, now much calmer!

I was wondering does Nemesis have a test chair? I've heard oblivion, rita and air do but unsure of nemesis!

Thanks!
Nightfall

I don't believe Nemesis has a test seat but the seats are almost identical to those on Oblivion. So if you head for Oblivion and everything’s ok then nemesis shouldn't be a problem either.
[align=center]Image[/align]
AshleeK

Two of my friends went the other week (they went on 13 before me, not happy!). When they got on Air, this rather large girl ended up sitting next to them. Well, not really, her belly was apparently too big for the safety restraints to fit, so she couldn't ride. So I suppose in some cases it isn't just chest size that you have to worry about.
El Patricko

You should be fine with all the flat/spinney rides etc - the only ones I can't do is Ripsaw and Submission.
What other flats do they have, am i missing something :D

Yeah ripsaw and submission are rather unforgiving on some folks and the last thing you want is the walk of shame, but to be honest your not missing out of the cream of the crop with the flats at alton so it's not worth worrying about.

On thirteen you can cross your feet to reduce the height of your legs, this also makes your thighs point inward rather than upward thus saving space (or an airtime gap)
"If Alton Towers get a shrek 4d attraction next year i, El Patricko will eat a steak garnished with pond weed"

Officially, "the first man out on the town in shorts 2011"
adamtoonarmy

[quote=""Nightfall""]I don't believe Nemesis has a test seat but the seats are almost identical to those on Oblivion. So if you head for Oblivion and everything’s ok then nemesis shouldn't be a problem either.[/quote]
Nemesis and oblivion seats look similar as they are both use osr's however fitting into them is a completely different matter. I use standard seats on nemesis but dont come anywhere near fitting in the standard seats on oblivion
Ridecount 2009:
Nightfall

[quote=""adamtoonarmy""][quote=""Nightfall""]I don't believe Nemesis has a test seat but the seats are almost identical to those on Oblivion. So if you head for Oblivion and everything’s ok then nemesis shouldn't be a problem either.[/quote]Nemesis and oblivion seats look similar as they are both use osr's however fitting into them is a completely different matter. I use standard seats on nemesis but dont come anywhere near fitting in the standard seats on oblivion[/quote]Good spot.
I just had a closer look and Oblivions side arms are slightly wider and the section between the legs is also thicker. So the new answer to the question is that Nemesis is a bit more forgiving then Oblivion.
Kaycee

There is a weight limit per person on Sonic Spinball of 17.5 stone per person, and a combined car weight limit too, however this is impossible to police short of whacking out a pair of scales, so use that number as a guide, it's a case of the lap bar having to go down four 'clicks' to be sent. :)
gazag

lol really, we im over weight for spinball then but having been on it 49 times this year i don't see its a problem lol.

yeah on spinball crossing your legs helps too. if only everyone used a system like on S&S coasters or euro-fighters it wouldn't be a problem
.Will

Does anyone have the problem of the restraints cannot come down far enough on you because you just cover the notch so the restraint sits about half an inch away from your actual body? It makes the ride so so much more fun having so much more upper body movement! The only issue is Air though as the restraint has to be tight on my body after the incident I had on it where I pulled my thigh out. Joy! Pain every time I go on Ripsaw, Submission or Air because they all crush you thighs, rather annoying, because after a fun day on park, I can no longer walk.

#-o
Anonymous

Hey guys, I'm going on a trip to Alton Towers with my college class in a few weeks

But I'm a little concerned with any potential weight issues, to put it bluntly being able to fit into some of the rides because I'm a big fella!

I figure the two main issues are

1. the chest lock thing
2. the seats themselves

I have around a 52" Chest at thickest and my Legs 37" at thickest

So to save myself embarrassment, is there any rides I should just plain avoid, and general advice?

By the way, I know that AT now has some seats outside you can sit in to try, but come on thats equally humiliating!

Thanks.
spinwhizzer

I have a mate who can get on every bar Air, mainly because of her legs; it can't close properly. I think Ripsaw and Submission may also be a difficulty.
Jon

Both Nemesis and Oblivion have specially designed "big boy" seats which you may get allocated if necessary, but these rides are generally pretty forgiving anyway.

As said, Ripsaw and Submission are very tight in the first place. Spinball can also be a problem, as the ride cars are pretty minuscule.

Air, Rita, Nemesis and Oblivion all have "test seats" just before the queue so you can try them out before you join to see if you're comfortable.

(It's only just occoured to me that 13 doesn't have one. As a major ride, couldn't it do with one?)

Th13teen and Runaway Mine Train shouldn't present an issue either, they're both fairly roomy.

If you are at all unsure, staff know the specs of the rides better than I do. Ask someone at the entrance of the queue, or at guest services at the beginning of the day - they'll be happy to help.
Formerly "Dagoo"
Anonymous

Thanks for the help guys, glad Oblivion is OK, Because that looks crazy good!

By the way, on the subject of Th13teen, what is it?

Lol, I keep hearing about it but actually have no idea what it is or what it does
Nightfall

[quote=""Javier19""]By the way, I know that AT now has some seats outside you can sit in to try, but come on thats equally humiliating! [/quote] If you’re with a load of class mates I recommend crowding round the Rita seat to take a photo but make sure anyone who’s concerned slips into the seat. It's got a bit of a cartoony design so nobody will think twice about a group photo.
Just my mad advice :P
Last edited by Nightfall on Thu May 13, 2010 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anonymous

Hi, I was wondering if I will fit on the following rides?

Rita
Air
Sonic Spinball
Nemesis
Hex
The Flume

I'm a size 18 in trousers (got chunky thighs) and an 18 - 20 in a top.

Thanks
AshleeK

[quote=""di5ney""]Hi, I was wondering if I will fit on the following rides?

Rita
Air
Sonic Spinball
Nemesis
Hex
The Flume

I'm a size 18 in trousers (got chunky thighs) and an 18 - 20 in a top.

Thanks[/quote]

You could probably fit on most of them, really. Though Air may be a problem.
Anonymous

Just a bit of advice fastrack/special access may be difficlut. I had fastrack and asked for the large seat and had a very annoyed operater tell me that rows ar allocated and that I had to have a normal seat or queue. I fitted but just thought I would mention it.
LouLou

Hi,

Me & hubby went to alton towers yesterday, he is a big lad (over 20 stone, 52" chest and has big thighs)

Just wanted to let you know how it went, after reading this thread we thought he wouldn't be able to ride a lot of them but were pleasantly surprised :clap:

Nemesis - no probs sat on the wide boy seat in row 4

Oblivion - again wide boy seat in row 4

Air - tried the seat outside, couldn't quite close it but he wanted to give it a go. There are bigger seats in Row 4 (seats 2&3). The seat closed but popped open, the attendant came over and said 'don't worry mate I've been getting people into these seats for years'. They got him in and locked it tight with this key thing. He did say it was very tight but he wanted to ride.

Rita - fine (tried the seat outside before we went in)

Thi3teen - no probs - over the legs bar

The staff there were brilliant, all of them are used to it and are happy to give an extra push. Just don't be embarrassed to ask for help, it means you get the best out of your day.
bradpeet

[quote=""LouLou""]Air - tried the seat outside, couldn't quite close it but he wanted to give it a go. There are bigger seats in Row 4 (seats 2&3). The seat closed but popped open, the attendant came over and said 'don't worry mate I've been getting people into these seats for years'. They got him in and locked it tight with this key thing. He did say it was very tight but he wanted to ride.

The staff there were brilliant, all of them are used to it and are happy to give an extra push. Just don't be embarrassed to ask for help, it means you get the best out of your day.[/quote]

That's great to hear :) Sometimes a ride op has to push the restraint tight for me on AIR, but not always (Maybe I've been in the big boys seats and not known it at times :lol:)

In my experience, Ride Ops are usually prepared to help - although some don't like to push too hard. Of course, there are always exceptions. (I'm not only talking of Alton Towers here)
Anonymous

Hiya all,
I'm new to the site, I was googling to find out if I can indeed still fit on the rides at Alton Towers, it has been some 5 years :( since I was last there.

Anyway I have read through the thread, but I still would like some feedback based on my measurements.
I am by no means a small girl. I've always been "big boned" but I am currently at my biggest.

As I said, I took some measurements and they are as follows.
Bust - The biggest part: 49 Inches
Mid Section- at the "fattest" 50 inches.
Thighs: 27 inches

Are there any rides that I should avoid? I'm going to assume Spinball and Air from what I've previously read, which is annoying coz I wanted to go on Air as it was broke the last time I went :( :(

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks