Size/Weight restrictions

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
bensaund

You may say that, but I can get on every seat at Nemesis in Alton Towers and every seat apart from the back row at Nemesis Inferno. I'm not sure why this is, but is really does depend on where you sit, I'm aware of the larger seats they have on Nemesis in Row 5, Samurai Row 5 seat 2. it seems on some rides in some seat that the belts are just too short.
If you go down to the woods today
Boz

not sure why you would specifically have a problem with the back row on inferno. Having worked on it, both as an op and in winter maintenance, I can tell you all seats are identical. With the exception of seats 4-2 and 5-3 on both trains being deeper, to accommodate larger guests.
MattsDesigns

A little bit off topic but...

I wanted to say that I love that Alton and other parks have a seat for larger people. Like the disabled access to rides its goodwill, whether it comes through legislation or not. I'm pretty sure you don't have to have a seat for larger guests though.
This kind of thing is something I hope the industry will develop on.
Have a look at my space themed dark ride concept:
http://mattsdesigns.webs.com/space.html
All of my Themepark ideas, here & on the website are free to use by anyone.
bensaund

I am sure the American parks  make their rides fit for the larger people they have out there, so it is about time the UK followed.
If you go down to the woods today
The Moon

Guys, it's the MANUFACTURER OF THE RIDE, not the park.
And anyway, who is the number two fattest nation?
THC selectively targets and destroys tumor cells while leaving healthy cells unscathed. Conventional chemotherapy drugs, by contrast, are highly toxic; they indiscriminately damage the brain and body.

Toke up...
MattsDesigns

Surely they specify what they want though  :P

I should add here my appreciation for this is not selfish - I go between skinny and normal.
I just noticed it along side other goodwill and thought I needed to mention it.
Have a look at my space themed dark ride concept:
http://mattsdesigns.webs.com/space.html
All of my Themepark ideas, here & on the website are free to use by anyone.
The Moon

Highly doubt it, the manufacturer wants customer satisfaction as much as if not more than the purchasing park.
THC selectively targets and destroys tumor cells while leaving healthy cells unscathed. Conventional chemotherapy drugs, by contrast, are highly toxic; they indiscriminately damage the brain and body.

Toke up...
Mummytotwo

Hiya everyone,

So I went Alton towers last week and the night before I went I was losing sleep and was up till 3am googling if I'll fit on the rides. I'm a size 20/22 bottom and a size 18/20 top! I'm 5ft 6in and about 18/19stone (having children hasn't been kind to me lol) I have very chunky legs and a big bum! So here is my take on the rides.

Spinball - first ride of the day and I was terrified I wouldnt fit! I got on the ride and pulled down the bar! The assistant came over and just said could he push it down another click and she did and I enjoyed the ride and fit fine!

Smiler - AMAZING! I have a large chest of 40H so the assistant just asked can he push the harness down another click and away I went. Fantastic ride!

Oblivion - no issues here at all harness clicked in and away I went!

Nemesis - again no issues and had an amazing ride!

Rita - just needed to be pushed in a click on the bar across my tummy - away I went.

Wickerman - absolutely amazing ride bar across my belly clicked in fine!

Didn't have time to go on 13 and Galactica (air) was closed that day. I was so surprised I really was. Hope this helps someone else x
DanJ1809

Hello All,

I am visiting Alton Towers in September. I am a big lad, 6ft2in, 52 inch waist, 54 inch chest. I am really worried about getting on stuff. As I am relatively tall I think my weight is distributed all around me, but I am worrying about my stomach, and thighs in particular. I am currently trying to lose some weight rapidly before then, but not sure how much of a difference it will make. I haven't been to Alton Towers for 7 years, so never been on the Smiler or Wicker Man. What are the restraints like for these? From reading other posts, am I right in thinking the Smiler is quite tight on the thighs? And will a big belly get in the way on Wicker Man? 

TIA
Dan
Marcus9912

DanJ1809 wrote:Hello All,

I am visiting Alton Towers in September. I am a big lad, 6ft2in, 52 inch waist, 54 inch chest. I am really worried about getting on stuff. As I am relatively tall I think my weight is distributed all around me, but I am worrying about my stomach, and thighs in particular. I am currently trying to lose some weight rapidly before then, but not sure how much of a difference it will make. I haven't been to Alton Towers for 7 years, so never been on the Smiler or Wicker Man. What are the restraints like for these? From reading other posts, am I right in thinking the Smiler is quite tight on the thighs? And will a big belly get in the way on Wicker Man? 

TIA
Dan
Hey Dan, been a lurker on this forum for about 10 years but this prompted me to make an account! I'm a much bigger than average 19 y/o coaster enthusiast and as I've grown up I've seen myself be denied from rides that ive been abe to do before, at this point I consider myself an expert on coaster restraints for larger people. Alton is my home park so I'll give you the best advice I can on a ride-by-ride basis! First off though, my stats: I'm 194.6cm, which is about 6 foot 4.5 inches, weigh 150kg and am very broad, I wear 42-44 waist jeans and run about 48 - 52 inch chest in clothing. 

The Smiler:
I fit into the smiler just fine, sometimes a small push is needed on the restraint and that's it. There are larger seats avaliable that I always ask for as they provide a lot more room up in the shoulder area so just makes the ride so much more enjoyable. I do fit in the regular sized seats as well with a push, but there is a lot of pressure on my shoulders even when just sitting in the station. The 'limiting factor' for me here is my shoulders and not my legs or belly. The row placement of the larger seat, which they will allocate you if you just ask, varies each season, because the trains are deconstructed and put back together over every off season (it's always seat number 2 I think though, maybe 3? its a middle seat anyways). As for it being quite tight on your thighs, my thighs and bum are the largest part of me and I've never thought it to be too bad.

The Wicker Man:
I've attempted The Wicker Man twice and have been denied both times, I'm not sure how far away the bar was from being low enough to dispatch but I have a feeling it's quite far. After a chat with a really nice ride-op he told me it's the size of my bum and legs combined with my height. When you sit down you find the seats are really low to the ground, so as soon as I moved the restraint not even a few inches it hits my knees. This can be fixed by crossing your legs, which a the ride-op told me to do, but it still wasn't enough. Since then I've learnt that with lap bars you pull forward like these it can be benefitial sit as far back as possible and to use two hands to lift up your belly while a ride-op pushes the restraint down for you into your waist. I have yet to try this on The Wicker Man, it was the only reason I managed to get the seatbelt round me to ride Goliath at Walibi Holland. Sadly there are no larger seats or seats with more legroom avaliable.

I cannot reccomend wearing thin, slippy atheltic clothing enough - it's what enables me to ride Thirteen and has made just that centimeter difference in a few cases. I tend to wear thin shorts when going to park that a restraint can run over easily instead of jeans. Also I'd try and wear shoes with a thinner sole and not something that is generally oversized, this allows more playroom with your legs in smaller carriages like The Wicker Man's and lowers your knees towards the ground a little more. Every small bit you can do adds up!

I know a lot about larger guests fitting in all the other rides at Alton Towers (and other parks around the UK and Europe) but I'll leave it at that as those were the only two you specifally mentioned. If you'd like some more info on all the other rides or any questions let me know! Good luck with your visit.

Marcus (@marcusdoesrollercoasters on Instagram if you want to get a rough look at my build to compare, there's a full body photo there :) )
DanJ1809

Marcus9912 wrote:

TIA
Dan
Hey Dan, been a lurker on this forum for about 10 years but this prompted me to make an account! I'm a much bigger than average 19 y/o coaster enthusiast and as I've grown up I've seen myself be denied from rides that ive been abe to do before, at this point I consider myself an expert on coaster restraints for larger people. Alton is my home park so I'll give you the best advice I can on a ride-by-ride basis! First off though, my stats: I'm 194.6cm, which is about 6 foot 4.5 inches, weigh 150kg and am very broad, I wear 42-44 waist jeans and run about 48 - 52 inch chest in clothing. 

The Smiler:
I fit into the smiler just fine, sometimes a small push is needed on the restraint and that's it. There are larger seats avaliable that I always ask for as they provide a lot more room up in the shoulder area so just makes the ride so much more enjoyable. I do fit in the regular sized seats as well with a push, but there is a lot of pressure on my shoulders even when just sitting in the station. The 'limiting factor' for me here is my shoulders and not my legs or belly. The row placement of the larger seat, which they will allocate you if you just ask, varies each season, because the trains are deconstructed and put back together over every off season (it's always seat number 2 I think though, maybe 3? its a middle seat anyways). As for it being quite tight on your thighs, my thighs and bum are the largest part of me and I've never thought it to be too bad.

The Wicker Man:
I've attempted The Wicker Man twice and have been denied both times, I'm not sure how far away the bar was from being low enough to dispatch but I have a feeling it's quite far. After a chat with a really nice ride-op he told me it's the size of my bum and legs combined with my height. When you sit down you find the seats are really low to the ground, so as soon as I moved the restraint not even a few inches it hits my knees. This can be fixed by crossing your legs, which a the ride-op told me to do, but it still wasn't enough. Since then I've learnt that with lap bars you pull forward like these it can be benefitial sit as far back as possible and to use two hands to lift up your belly while a ride-op pushes the restraint down for you into your waist. I have yet to try this on The Wicker Man, it was the only reason I managed to get the seatbelt round me to ride Goliath at Walibi Holland. Sadly there are no larger seats or seats with more legroom avaliable.

I cannot reccomend wearing thin, slippy atheltic clothing enough - it's what enables me to ride Thirteen and has made just that centimeter difference in a few cases. I tend to wear thin shorts when going to park that a restraint can run over easily instead of jeans. Also I'd try and wear shoes with a thinner sole and not something that is generally oversized, this allows more playroom with your legs in smaller carriages like The Wicker Man's and lowers your knees towards the ground a little more. Every small bit you can do adds up!

I know a lot about larger guests fitting in all the other rides at Alton Towers (and other parks around the UK and Europe) but I'll leave it at that as those were the only two you specifally mentioned. If you'd like some more info on all the other rides or any questions let me know! Good luck with your visit.

Marcus (@marcusdoesrollercoasters on Instagram if you want to get a rough look at my build to compare, there's a full body photo there :) )
Hi Marcus,

Thank you so much for coming back to me on this! This has been a real eye opener, and it is nice to have someone to talk to. I have had a look at your Instagram which was really helpful (I have followed you!).

Since posting, I actually visited Drayton Manor, which is a very local park for us. On previous visits, I managed to get on Shockwave with a bit of a push, but the bar wouldn't fit on G-Force, before it closed down. This time, as it was very busy, so had to pick and choose what to ride, and it was just me and my partner who isn't a fan of the coasters. I actually managed to get on the buffalo coaster, it was very tight, as you may imagine, but I managed. Also went on a few more bits, barrels, sheriff showdown etc, but none of the big ones. Towards the end of the day, I did try Apocalypse. The seats were very tight and therefore the restraint would close but the belt just wouldn't fit. They offered me the stand up version but I politely declined and ran off! Have you had any experiences with any of these? 

I am visiting Alton Towers next Thursday, so I will try some of your tips!

Thanks,
Dan
Marcus9912

DanJ1809 wrote:
Marcus9912 wrote:

TIA
Dan

The Smiler:

The Wicker Man:

Hi Marcus,

Thank you so much for coming back to me on this! This has been a real eye opener, and it is nice to have someone to talk to. I have had a look at your Instagram which was really helpful (I have followed you!).

Since posting, I actually visited Drayton Manor, which is a very local park for us. On previous visits, I managed to get on Shockwave with a bit of a push, but the bar wouldn't fit on G-Force, before it closed down. This time, as it was very busy, so had to pick and choose what to ride, and it was just me and my partner who isn't a fan of the coasters. I actually managed to get on the buffalo coaster, it was very tight, as you may imagine, but I managed. Also went on a few more bits, barrels, sheriff showdown etc, but none of the big ones. Towards the end of the day, I did try Apocalypse. The seats were very tight and therefore the restraint would close but the belt just wouldn't fit. They offered me the stand up version but I politely declined and ran off! Have you had any experiences with any of these? 

I am visiting Alton Towers next Thursday, so I will try some of your tips!

Thanks,
Dan
Hey Dan!

Sorry, I only just logged back into TowersTimes to see your reply after you messaged me. No worries for the info and thanks for the follow :).

As for Drayton Manor, I'm really sorry but I haven't been in a few years, even though it is my closest park. Last time I was there, I was considerably smaller, so I don't know a huge amount about the restraints. I just got back from Liseberg, which also has an Intamin drop tower, which I did manage to fit on with a push, but it uses entirely different restraints to Apocalypse. Looking at Apocalypse’s sit down restraints, they look awfully similar to Colossus’ at Thorpe Park, which leads me to think I would be quite far off from fitting, like I am for Colossus. I think the stand up restraints would be fine for us, as they can move up and down to scale for height and your belly/gut is smaller and can be pushed in more when standing up. Just be careful, standup with no floor is known to be a bit painful in the groin area for men to ride, us being a bit larger, means it would be a little bit worse! I'd still ride it though, just brace yourself at the brakes lol.

For the same scaleable restraint height reason I think I'd be fine on Shockwave, as you were as well. I tend to fit on most kids coasters with a squeeze as well, like you did for The Buffalo, although I tend to end up sitting in the middle of the row, using the two seats as one, this means I can spread my legs out to the side to get more space, the only disadvantage is you can't ride next to who you came to the park with haha. The restraints on Maelstrom look quite bulky, I don't think I would get on it, but I'm not quite sure...

Good luck with your Towers trip tomorrow, I hope you get as many thrills as possible!!

Marcus
DanJ1809

Hello Everyone,

Thought I would just share an update following my visit to Alton Towers last Thursday! We had an excellent day, and managed so much more than I expected! Please see above for my measurements, which will give you a rough idea of my size. I will list rides below and how I fared.

Wickerman - First ride of the day, was extremely nervous as Marcus above has mentioned not being able to ride. Got into the seat fine, they are rather more roomy for hips/bum than I expected. However leg space is an issue. I managed to cross my legs as I was getting in, which lowered my thighs. Pulled the restraint down, and it didn't click. I thought I was miles away. However, operator came round, asked if he could give it a push, which I said was fine, and he did. Clicked into place, and away we went, what a ride by the way! Did a further 2 rides throughout the day, however this was the most comfortable of them all. Ride had warmed up and was alot faster, so my legs got a bit of a bashing, but still great fun!

Runaway Mine Train, Duel and Rapids - As expected, no issues with Rapids, or Duel. RMT, it was a struggle, and I filled most of the car, so couldn't sit next to anyone. As I had seen from previous comments, the front car of the sort of full car has more space, as there is a raised metal section on the back car of the mini train, which means you have to place your feet in an awkward position, and therefore your thighs are a bit raised. Crossed legged in the back was a must, however sitting normally in the front was absolutely fine.

Nemesis - No queue so straight onto the train from the station. Was going to go for the double belted seat, but thought I would try the back row. I got in, pulled the OTS restraint down and it clicked down but the belt didn't quite reach. Operator came over and asked if he could push down, he did and the restraint went in another click and the belt clipped in! However, the operator in the cabin must have noted it was not down enough, so he came over and asked if he could push again. At this point, it was rather tight, but I was fine still. He pushed again, it clicked again. It was very very tight, I.E I could feel my chest moving against the restraint every time I took a breath! However, I was OK as it meant I could ride! Went round again, this time asked for the double belted seat, which was much more comfortable!

Galactica - Having read that the restraint for this was smaller than Nemesis, and having just been squeezed in, I was sure I was not going to fit, however I knew there was a test seat outside, so I went to have a try. However, the test seat was locked, and there were no staff around to unlock, and as we were short on time as it was a short park day, I didn't want to waste my time as I was 90% sure I wouldn't fit anyway, so we left it.

Rita - Went to Rita, and tried the test seat. Was probably a good 3-4 inches off the belt clipping in, so couldn't ride.

Thirteen - Was nervous as rather than being a T bar restraint, these are more U shaped (your legs go between the bars, rather than either side). Sat on the front row, legs just about went in the bars, operator came round and give it a push, quite firm required but it clicked into place and away I went.

Smiler - Was not nervous about this as advertised restraint size was 2 inches bigger than the B&M's, so went single rider queue. As expected, slight push required, and away I went. First ever rides on this, and I must say I thought this was absolutely amazing. What a ride. Blew my mind. I had expected it to be rough, but I didn't feel it at all. Went for 3 rides in around an hour, first 2 about 5 mins wait each in single riders, 3rd it broke down for about 45 mins, but still waited. Amazing ride.

And that was everything we had time for. I sacrificed a ride on Oblivion to get more rides in on Smiler as it was my first time riding it, and I was not disappointed. In total, 3 rides on Wickerman, Smiler and RMT, 2 on the rapids, 2 on Nemesis and 1 on Duel and Thirteen, with no issues. Only problems were with Rita as mentioned, and Galactica, but I was not too fussed about this. 

Would like to say thank you to everyone who has commented in this thread, from people back in 2012, all the way through to Marcus. Your advice has been more than helpful, and I hope my breakdown helps other people further!

Thank you everyone!
Dan