The Rotating Tunnel & Other Missing Effects From Duel !

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Anonymous

lol, i tell u what wud be wicked, if the ride broke down in the rotating tunnel, and the tunnel still span. that wud rock! my dream is to break down in the middle of alton towers haunted house, even if it is duel now, i wanna break down in there!!!
Crofty

The glitter balls were working today :D :D :D

Also the laser that pops out on you from a box or something - I have never seen that before.

:D :D
dstone_uk
Location: Ug Basketball, Ug Land, Alton Towers, Staffs, ST10 4DB :D

what bugs me is i go on it just aferXrt cos i can just walk on and every morning there are big sections of targets missing so i tell them and they do something in the control both and ask me to go around again and see if ti's working this time :x

(*)corkscrew rules(*)D

Jimbob

Evrery time i have been on it all the effects have been working except once the music and sound effects stopped but everything else was still working. I went on it first thing we were the first on it once and i agree there is a large section missing targets first thing in the morning.
Also the laser that pops out on you from a box or something - I have never seen that before.
Thats where the camera is top right!
canon man

Today 30th was really bad tunnel wasn't spinning quite a lot of dark bits but towards the end that garden bit that the bit that looks ok. It really does need sorrting out
Cameron

most of the leds on the monsters and zombies have bust its looking shabby but i must say it looked amazing in gloomy wood lastnight with the moon shining through the trees :D
Equinox

[quote=""doopy dan""]Yes them glitter balls do still work, but as with every ride you will get your probelms, as the ride is still basicly the Haunted House, same old trainsit system, same old mechanisms for effects which are all 10 years old and to take into consideration they have been running every summer since 1992, at the best part of 10 hours a day every day, but another problem they have is with the actuall trainsit system itself, each car cost 18,000 pounds each, which most of the cost went towards the complex onboard computers on each 32 cars, to tell the computer where each car is on the track, and that dose have alot of problems,[/quote]

On board computers dont tell the main systemwhere each car is. The green coloured sensors at different places around the track do that? Making sure there is at least two 'blocks' inbetween each one.

and i have broken down in the rotating tunnel before! its when it wasnt turned on though. stuck there for about about 40 minuites...mmmm fun!
wez0s

When i go on Duel I never notice anything! I'm too busy shooting out the lights and getting meh score up! But I have noticed when I went on there once my gun wasn't working until we broke down then it started working, so lame! When I broke down on it some one came round and took us to the exit I think it broke down for the rest of the day!

Edit Sarah-TTF

Please make sure your posts are written in a way that other people can read easily, i.e. not with a capital letter at the start of each word.

Thanks, Sarah
:D
I Am 32 And Three Quarters Years Old And I Work In A Condom Packaging Factory In East Iraq And I Handle The Lube!
Lets Rais Baby Monkeys Together
tallest_of_pauls
Location: Holding A Vigil Where The Thunderlooper Used To Be!

I've had a broken gun experience too, a gentle tap seems to get it working until you get round the next corner!
I told the ride op when I left (don't think he believed me as my score was over 50,000!), and they very kindly offered that me and my party could go round again, using a different car, but I really couldn't be bothered, he did take the car number though, so hopefully that one will have been fixed now.
Anonymous

Duel worked fine last time I went on it.... All the things you guys said about were working, I have seen Nemesis break down loads of times before though!
Doopy Dan

On board computers dont tell the main systemwhere each car is. The green coloured sensors at different places around the track do that? Making sure there is at least two 'blocks' inbetween each one.
Nope they have onboard computer systems, ive got a video on how they made The Haunted House, and it goes through the whole stage of the cars been made, and even shows you the systems inside the cars.
doom+sons1988

Duel was really bad for me in October. Firstly the music kept jumping, the bust at the begining didn't work and there was no targets working at all between the revolving tunnel and the spider. But also Hex was not looking healthly at all either. It was a bad day for AT best dark rides.
"ERRRRRRRRRRR EXCUSE ME"
Equinox

Yeah they have a system which controls the speed of the motor and the guns onboard... But theres nothing onboard telling the main computer system where each car is! Thats done by sensors around the track. Nothing to do with on the on board pc's. if the main pc says two cars are less than two blocks appart then it will simply trip one of the cars out.
magicmaster

Reason why all the dark rides look badly lit is towers cut staff from the ents technical team and so they could no longer do the maintenance for all the dark rides lighting, It takes a good team of four people with two sets of ladders , 8 pairs of waders and about 300 50w birdie lamps to cover even half of toyland, If towers put the money back into this department, these dark rides would no-longer look dark, poorly lit and I think it would boost the popularity of the rides.
JezziWezzi

when i went on it the ride stopped whilst i was on it for about 10mins but the tunnel was still spining....i was still relly scred....sat there in the dark"
rightbackgranty

[quote=""Rickikazaa""]lol, i tell u what wud be wicked, if the ride broke down in the rotating tunnel, and the tunnel still span. that wud rock! my dream is to break down in the middle of alton towers haunted house, even if it is duel now, i wanna break down in there!!![/quote]

I have broken down in the spinning tunnel before when it was spinning, and trust me, it dont rock when youve been stuck there for 10 minutes and you now feel sick. The only way to escape it is to close your eyes, and then the kind person next to you says 'are you scared luv' and comforts me by saying 'its ok we'll be going in no time'
jamieoliver22

Nope they have onboard computer systems, ive got a video on how they made The Haunted House, and it goes through the whole stage of the cars been made, and even shows you the systems inside the cars.
Doopy Dan, can i have that video please? where did you get it?
Thanks
J
ripsawfan

:| I always find it scary (even at my age) and i would hate it to breakdown (never has while i was on it)(good job to!!!)
[font color=blue]Brin[/font][font color=aqua]g bac[/font][font color=lime]k rips[/font][font color=green]aw\'s fount[/font][font color=red]ains now![/font] Check out www.freewebs.com/atowersfrenzie
JamesP

though it isnt a fault with the ride i dislike the strobe light that goes off at the end of the rotating tunnel, it has only been added since it became Duel and i know its purpose is to illuminate the 'monster' there but it also lights up the entire wall of the warehouse and ruins the effect of the tunnel as you are travelling down it.
Anonymous

i went on duel for the first time last year.
i went on it again on march 12 and the tunnel was there and i thought it had just been built in closed season! :shock: