Congo River Rapids - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
taker316

[quote=""James6""]I disagree to be honest. I don't think the Rapids is the more relaxing of the 2.[/quote]
Same. On my last visit, On every time the boat hit the sides,those little handle bars on the edge of the seat kept banging in to me. Next day i had bruses on both sides.

[quote=""Evostance""]Ala this

or

1:45 of this video

[url=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;][/url]
[quote=""stretchy""]What I would like to see is

2. When the rmt goes through the tunnel a series of small fountains spurt water into the rapids section, drenching any passing boat.[/quote]

Ala this

or

1:45 of this video

[url=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;][/url][/quote]
I really like that idea. It woulld be really cool and with some more scenery and water jets.
R.I.P CORKSCREW R.I.P
1980-2008
Anonymous

[quote=""Meat Pie""]I always felt it would be nice if they had rider and non-rider interaction on the rapids by fixing button activated water effects to the bridge. Therefore the people on the bridge would be pressing a button (also on the bridge) to cause the riders below to get wet.[/quote]

Some good ideas there. I think it is a simple yet effective ride and will hopefully remain a part of the park, but it does need to move with the times, refurbs and in the future maybe a re-theme. I think it needs a bit of new theming, e.g more plants etc as mentioned, but the idea of interaction between riders and the non-riders is brilliant, took the words out of my mouth. The atmosphere around Battle Galleons is great at times, and some of these effects could be used to great effect on CRR, without totally copying Battle Galleons(BG) of course.

I agree that only features which will slightly wet riders are needed, as opposed to completely drenching. The drenching is left up to luck and happens on some occasions the good effect. But plenty of features mentioned already like waterfalls which turn on and off, jets and sprays. Like BG boats could even allow riders to spray back at opponents on water cannons, using simple hand pumps like on BG, especially effective as the RMT passes in the tunnel.

There should be so many features that not all are used for every boat, adding surprise to each ride. The rapids at Drayton Manor had some good features when it was new (although they appear to have lost their effect lately), such as random jets from themed buildings, small tipping buckets and even jets which spray from under the water upwards.

All these distractions mean riders will not be as prepared for the rides existing features like rapids and waterfalls, meaning they continue to have the effect intended.
Michaél

To be perfectly honest, I don't think there is currently any problem with the Rapids, sure you don't get very wet but it's still fun. However to feed some peoples hunger to get wetter on our dear Congo Rapids, here are my thoughts. :)

First of all, Alton did make the Rapids wetter during the scarefest of 2009, I'm not sure on this however I believe they placed more logs on the floor of the 'river' to increase the size of the rapids. It may have been different however there was definitely a change in wetness during the scarefest. Surely Alton could do this for the whole year, if they can do it temporarily for the scarefest.

I actually don't like rapids which spray you rather than get you wet through the quality and height of the rapids, so I would like to see the rapids improved not sprays put in etcetera... because that is just cheating! Although if they were to improve the Rapids, that is most certainly one of the first things they will do. #-o

I'd like to see the rafts replaced, I find them really uncomfortable and the slightest jolt; you are flung into the metal bar which does hurt a little, I'd like to see padded seats Alton, one of the main things that needs improving. I would also like to see the rather poor attempt at an explorers campsite in the queue re-done. It just looks tacky at the moment and looks like something a school created for a play. :|

I think the odd kind of 'water explosion' would be good, I just think sustained spraying is a little tacky and is cheating! :mrgreen:

I think they should be investing money in rides that need to be saved from embarrassment (not mentioning any names 8-[ )and not investing in rides that just could be improved. :)
MartynRitaRider

i think a water jet would be good round the back of the shop maybe some water guns on the outside area of the piza hut to make it fun and interactive, love the jets idea in the tunnel and maybe a mist wall as you leave the tunnel. the most boring bit is after the waterfall heading to the end you just get bouned around maybe add some jets or a whirlpool effect. definately bring back the jet at the end was funny when the people infront and behind got soaked and it just missed you hehe
jomo1993

An idea me and a friend had would be to make the riders able to spin the boats, like maurauders mayhem. Im not sure if it would be possible to make this happen, as a small propeller hanging through the bottom of the boat for example, will break off whenever the boat goes over a log, but im sure there would be a way of doing it. Also, another problem with this would be as riders have to share boats, some people may not want to be spun etc.

More realisticly, here are some improvements which i would like to see, to an already fantastic ride.
Either put some lights and theming in the tunnel, or, keep it dark, but put some rapids in there so it is a surprise for riders.
Also, put some hoses which randomly spray out at riders on the way round, not getting them too wet, but being there for people who do want to get wet, if ya get me.

I think we can all say though, compared to the rapids in the late 80's/early 90's where there was absolutely NO theming whatsoever, the current rapids themeing is a vast improvement.
MIND THE DOORS PLEASE

MIND THE DOORS
CoventryBee

Haha, speaking of the Rapids.

Scarefest last year (24th? I think it was), last ride of the evening. Bad enough I was sat in the seat that soaks you, back soaked already from just the waves. Well, we come up to the waterfalls, after the photo, our boat just went straight to the wall, and I get absoulately drenched. And, as you can imagine, they car ride home...wasn't very erm...pleasant XD And that was after using the people dryer!

Adam. :)
Mr P

Just something I made to pass the time, but something like this definitely has potential:
Lost of water effects means that your bound to get wet on the way!
jomo1993

[quote=""Mr P""]Just something I made to pass the time, but something like this definitely has potential:
Lost of water effects means that your bound to get wet on the way![/quote]

Yeh, looks good, but not sure its a particularly good idea, cos not everyone wants to get very wet, and i think currently, the rapids gets you just wet enough.
MIND THE DOORS PLEASE

MIND THE DOORS
Mr P

i've never gotten properly wet on the rapids, needs beefing up a bit. Surely the idea of white water rapids is to get wet, not just a leisurely cruise through a jungle where you could get splashed a bit.
jomo1993

[quote=""Mr P""]i've never gotten properly wet on the rapids, needs beefing up a bit. Surely the idea of white water rapids is to get wet, not just a leisurely cruise through a jungle where you could get splashed a bit.[/quote]

No no, I personally agree with you, but i really dont think getting drenched would prove particularly popular with most people.
MIND THE DOORS PLEASE

MIND THE DOORS
Mr P

[quote=""jomo1993""][quote=""Mr P""]i've never gotten properly wet on the rapids, needs beefing up a bit. Surely the idea of white water rapids is to get wet, not just a leisurely cruise through a jungle where you could get splashed a bit.[/quote]

No no, I personally agree with you, but i really dont think getting drenched would prove particularly popular with most people.[/quote]
I see what you mean, i'm guessing that's mainly referring to the incredibly large amount of water pouring out of the pipe/barrels, maybe more of a dribble/drip/trickle would suite better. But the side waterfalls are mainly for cosmetics, they would only splash if you hit the side underneath them.
Bote

I actually really like the waterfall's you've put in, alothough I do agree that those jets would probably be a bit too much. Maybe if they where just a gentle flow instead of great big torrents rushing down onto you.

At DMP they have a hanging feature to get you wet. It is only a trickle, but it still gets you wet enough :) . One of the best things I've seen incorporated into a rapids ride was the fountain on Rocky Mountain Rapids at AA.

Image from ukrides.info
Mr P

ooo i like that! add one of those please :D
would need to look more natural though, blend it a bit.
Rollercoaster5000

[quote=""Mr P""]Just something I made to pass the time, but something like this definitely has potential:
Lost of water effects means that your bound to get wet on the way![/quote]
Whilst I find CCR drenching enough (or I was unlucky enough to sit in the seat that soaks), that would be awesome, something like that will add more excitement to the ride.
NickT04

I always love how I'm like "Yeah, lets go on the Flume/rapids etc." Then go on to do my level best not to get wet! :P

Only the two occasions I went to the 2009 Scarefest, I didn't get wet on the rapids until night time, either it bites back or I let my guard down!
richdirk123

I personally prefer Rumba Rapids. It has better theming, is more colourful and has more effects.
CoasterCrazyChris

[quote=""richdirk123""]I personally prefer Rumba Rapids. It has better theming, is more colourful and has more effects.[/quote]

Are you serious? :shock:

TBH, both are pretty standard and boring, there's nothing that makes either of them more than a long concrete trench filled with lake water really.

:)
AstroDan

[quote=""richdirk123""]I personally prefer Rumba Rapids. It has better theming, is more colourful and has more effects.[/quote]

I think even the most die hard Thorpe Fanboy would find it hard to agree there.

:lol:
richdirk123

But honestly, Congo River Rapids are two colours - yellow and brown. Rumba Rapids - colourful, better music, loads of effects.
Nightfall

[quote=""richdirk123""]better music.[/quote]
After sitting in a slow moving Nemesis inferno queue with the Rumba Rapids music at a much higher volume I’m afraid I can't agree with you. That music still haunts me :shock: .

I do however think that Drayton manners rapids is just as good in different ways. It's not as long and the scenery isn’t as good but the special wave section (no idea what the technical name is) was powerful enough for 5 other boats to overtake us. It made the ride so much fun.

Nice image Mr P, no idea what challenges installing them will cause but it would give the ride a lot more atmosphere.
[align=center]Image[/align]